Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereotyping goes away with maturity
Stereotyping goes away with maturity
Did you ever go through a a phase Of your life when someone in a certain ethnic group of people or gender hurt you really bad, so you stereotype those who reminded you of them with looks, sex, or temperament?

I realize that women have power over me and many men, and can hurt me a lot more than any guy. Id rather a guy punch me in the face and broke my nose. The pain is over very quickly compared to the heartbreak of being rejected or mistreated by a female I admire or fall in love with.

I'vee known guys who committed suicide because of the girl that dumped them or didn't want them. & I spoke with a paramedic who said most male suicides have to to do with that. Also know too many women who now do not trust men or hate tue to abusive relationships.

If there is a God I don't think he would make beings so fragile , childish, and irrational . Now I look at the individual person not a group. I realize that most women typically when they do cause serious permanent wounds,, It is done so unintentionally. And overall , the male gender does more damage and serious criminal activity or risky behaviour.

so by the age of 18 , with maturity , and less narrow mindedness, I no longer have stereo types against a gender or group. Did you ever go through that phase where your stereotyped like that, or resented people from an ehnicity, people from a certain countries, people from a rival gangs, different military, or religion or philosophy or form of government.?

I still dont trust Arabs. Hehe Big Grin
RE: Stereotyping goes away with maturity
I still stereotype Romanies/Gypsies (whatever you want to call them) because their overall behavior hasn't changed where I live, most of them live in social neighborhoods payed by the State with our tax money, live on welfare and refuse to work, claims all the rights and even some that don't even exist (such as the right to retirement without working before) and a lot of robberies or thefts are performed by them. They don't let their kids go to school and don't let the family marry anyone else but their ethnicity, they will stab or beat the shit out of anyone that doesn't agree with their views. That being said, my girlfriend is about 10% Romany, but luckily she was adopted and doesn't give a fuck about her biological family and they don't really care about her, and even if they did they don't have the extreme behavior 'pure' Romany families have... I also have prejudice with immigrants that come here and commit crimes, and heavy drug users, but i met a homeless drug user that was pretty nice and was honest with me so I kinda changed my mind on the latter. I don't know if this makes me a racist, I don't hate gypsies, I am just not secure about them, I know this is bad but I was robbed by a group of them some years back when I was 14 and I never forgot it, even my girlfriend who is as a said a small part gypsies in her genes has a huge prejudice against gypsies. Other than that I don't and never had prejudice with anyone.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

When I was younger I used to have a level of prejudice against Arabs, Pakistanis and Muslims in general, mainly because the city I live in (and most of the country) has had noticeable immigration from these people and I used to think immigration from them had caused a significant decline in my area (I still do think so to an extent, or it would be better to say I think it has been a contributing factor).

Obviously I don't hate people from these backgrounds anymore, since going to uni I've met a lot of people who are both Muslim and from Arab descent and none of them are evil. Each person is ofcourse different but there are still those that meet certain stereotypes. I'd be lying if I said they didn't. Some of them actively back up the stereotypes. Hell, stereotypes aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:Stereotypes and empirical generalizations are neither good nor bad, desirable nor undesirable, moral nor immoral. They just are. Stereotypes do not tell us how to behave or treat other people (or groups of people). Stereotypes are observations about the empirical world, not behavioral prescriptions. One may not infer how to treat people from empirical observations about them. Stereotypes tell us what groups of people tend to be or do in general; they do not tell us how we ought to treat them.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...tereotypes

I try not to let stereotypes influence how I treat people anymore. However I think what you're really talking about is prejudice. They're two different things. I don't think all people who pay attention to stereotypes are necessarily immature, but those with clear prejudice probably are. But then again, I'm not really sure if maturity has a whole lot to do with prejudice at all.
@shortbusgangsta3
-Did you ever go through that phase where your stereotyped like that, or resented people from an ehnicity, people from a certain countries, people from a rival gangs, different military, or religion or philosophy or form of government.?
Yes, I was in that phase in the past. Not for too long, fortunately. It was parental influence in most cases and typical young naivety. For example, if my father says that democracy is full of nonsense, I will then believe that democracy is full of nonsense.

-I still dont trust Arabs. Hehe :D
What a pity.
(July 7, 2014 at 10:13 am)Blackout Wrote: I still stereotype Romanies/Gypsies (whatever you want to call them) because their overall behavior hasn't changed where I live, most of them live in social neighborhoods payed by the State with our tax money, live on welfare and refuse to work, claims all the rights and even some that don't even exist (such as the right to retirement without working before) and a lot of robberies or thefts are performed by them. They don't let their kids go to school and don't let the family marry anyone else but their ethnicity, they will stab or beat the shit out of anyone that doesn't agree with their views. That being said, my girlfriend is about 10% Romany, but luckily she was adopted and doesn't give a fuck about her biological family and they don't really care about her,
-snipped, because, well....I just ate.

..................uh huh..........Clap

Please, tell me more about those damned gypsies......

I don't know that you really need another set prejudices - I don't know if there would be any room left in the prejudice tent after that. Interestingly (perhaps this would interest you anyway) as I read that, I couldn't tell the difference between you and my grandfather - except that he would have used a different word every time you used "gypsies" or "they" or "them" -he's a very direct man. I think it would be one hell of a coincidence if both you and he were right about different groups of people in different countries at different times - to the t, with such similar descriptions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 7, 2014 at 11:02 am)Rhythm Wrote: I don't know that you really need another set prejudices - I don't know if there would be any room left in the prejudice tent after that.

Romanian gypsies do have a terrible reputation across all of Europe. That reputation isn't for nothing. I'm not saying it's justified to have prejudices against people from that background but stereotypes are fed for a reason.
Yeah, they are fed for a reason, to stroke the peen of the stereotyper.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I was pretty much joking about not trusting arabs.. But they do seem very cold to me.
can't judge a book by its cover it up.

In the Israeli Arab conflict I believe the Arabs are the good guys.
As an old gay person, I note 'humorous' aspects of my existence in regards to differences in how I react (and don't react) to men as compared to women.

I am FAR more likely to remember a man's name than a women's. When women attempt to get my attention (a certain divorcee springs to mind) she has to literally trowel it on for it to register. In the divorcees case, I was dense enough to not realize she wanted me to ask her out, and I attempted to fix her up with a nice single HETERO friend of mine she was totally not interested in.

I'm pretty sure many attempts to 'wheedle' and 'cajole' me made by women flashing a smile, showing some skin, or winking sail right over my head and I don't notice. Have a man anywhere near me show vulnerability, emotion, loneliness, etc. and I am much more likely to pick up on it.

Is it sexist? I dunno, I'm wired that way. Does it reflect poorly on the women that they just assume I'm hetero and can be easily subdued into doing their bidding at the sight of a little cleavage? Or would I be a sexist pig if that stuff worked on me to the detriment of others I am working with ?

I find all of this funny, it's not like I seek out women to ignore, but hey, I'm a guy that likes guys.

A lot.

And since I'm a guy too, I am thinking about men frequently. Tall, strapping, masculine, manly men.

Woot!
(July 7, 2014 at 11:23 am)vorlon13 Wrote: As an old gay person, I note 'humorous' aspects of my existence in regards to differences in how I react (and don't react) to men as compared to women.

I am FAR more likely to remember a man's name than a women's. When women attempt to get my attention (a certain divorcee springs to mind) she has to literally trowel it on for it to register. In the divorcees case, I was dense enough to not realize she wanted me to ask her out, and I attempted to fix her up with a nice single HETERO friend of mine she was totally not interested in.

I'm pretty sure many attempts to 'wheedle' and 'cajole' me made by women flashing a smile, showing some skin, or winking sail right over my head and I don't notice. Have a man anywhere near me show vulnerability, emotion, loneliness, etc. and I am much more likely to pick up on it.

Is it sexist? I dunno, I'm wired that way. Does it reflect poorly on the women that they just assume I'm hetero and can be easily subdued into doing their bidding at the sight of a little cleavage? Or would I be a sexist pig if that stuff worked on me to the detriment of others I am working with ?

I find all of this funny, it's not like I seek out women to ignore, but hey, I'm a guy that likes guys.

A lot.

And since I'm a guy too, I am thinking about men frequently. Tall, strapping, masculine, manly men.

Woot!

are there many manly strapping masculine men who are gay?

I like to get touchy feely with guys as long as we are both fully clothed. anything sexual with a guy seems very gross to me. women are more soft, less hairy, & and have boobs. do you find the male face better looking than a females typically?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Couldn't stay away. Foxaèr 2 281 January 31, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  7 little things that completely give us away Foxaèr 9 1138 November 4, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My Uncle Bobby Passed Away this Weekend Rhondazvous 21 1100 July 11, 2018 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2406 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What goes on your dog? J a c k 82 5413 March 13, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6483 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  my cousin who goes to a mega church septembernine 8 1069 September 19, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  A Piece Of My Childhood Passes Away Minimalist 11 1902 July 28, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Stat: what goes into the world's best sangria? Whateverist 13 1649 April 30, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Now do you understand why I said STAY AWAY! brewer 12 1548 June 15, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: brewer