Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my cousin who goes to a mega church
my cousin who goes to a mega church
hello!

I feel like I might be posting the most off topic thing that's ever been posted here, but i'm REALLY hoping somebody knows enough about the type of super christian that my cousin has become to help me out.  

Here's a little about her.. she moved away in her 20's for a job (she will tell you now that she moved to find a husband) and almost immediately met a guy and married him 8 months later.  All my family knew about him was that he was really religious and kind of looked like a pedophile.  They had a dry, really expensive, big wedding.  This dude and his family were really weird.  This whole thing was so unlike her and from that day I slowly stopped talking to her.
RE: my cousin who goes to a mega church
Quote:All my family knew about him was that he was really religious and kind of looked like a pedophile.

Sounds like a priest!

No seriously.  Either they are selling drugs or running up credit cards sky high.
(September 19, 2017 at 9:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:All my family knew about him was that he was really religious and kind of looked like a pedophile.

Sounds like a priest!

No seriously.  Either they are selling drugs or running up credit cards sky high.

Haha my gut tells me they aren't selling drugs.  I wish they were that simple.
First up, welcome.

What is the husband's position within the church? It's well known that those high up within such groups get the money milked from the poorer, more desperate members of the group.

Other than that, it's hard to say. Perhaps they came into money (legally or otherwise).

Sounds somewhat cultish, from what you've been describing, which is also often the way with these mega-church types.
Dying to live, living to die.
Quote:...he wasn't a virgin like he said he was...

Say what now?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(September 19, 2017 at 9:33 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: First up, welcome.

What is the husband's position within the church?  It's well known that those high up within such groups get the money milked from the poorer, more desperate members of the group.

Other than that, it's hard to say.  Perhaps they came into money (legally or otherwise).

Sounds somewhat cultish, from what you've been describing, which is also often the way with these mega-church types.

I wish there was a way I could find out what he does in their church, but it's not something her and I would ever talk about. 

It's very cultish! I'm not the only person in our family who thinks this is all crazy. It seems like everyone worried about her, but too afraid to ask about it.

(September 19, 2017 at 9:37 pm)Succubus Wrote:
Quote:...he wasn't a virgin like he said he was...

Say what now?

Yesssss. So he told her he was a virgin and HE was waiting for their wedding night to have sex with her. She was not a virgin and he knew that.  She waited and thats all I know about that night.

Then I guess she found out he wasn't. Hahaha
Does the church have a website? A lot of these non-denomination churches have happy looking websites with which to market themselves to young people before sucking their brains and wallets dry
(September 19, 2017 at 9:44 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Does the church have a website?  A lot of these non-denomination churches have happy looking websites with which to market themselves to young people before sucking their brains and wallets dry

Yeah I mean that's pretty much what I got from it.  It seems like they change churches a lot too.  How are my cousin and her husband ending up with all of the money though?!
I think pretty much all you can do is drop hints as subtly as you can that you're there for her if things go belly up.

Without up front asking her (which is what I would do) you're not going to get an accurate picture. She might lie to you or tell you it's none of your business, but it doesn't sound like that would do any real harm to a relationship that from the sounds of things is already distant. Something like "hey, I know it's probably none of my business, but what do you guys do for money when X is out of work?"
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Stupid Cousin question of the day. Gawdzilla Sama 4 467 December 12, 2020 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  What goes on your dog? J a c k 82 5404 March 13, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6482 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Stat: what goes into the world's best sangria? Whateverist 13 1649 April 30, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  People at church excluding and avoiding me on church trip ashasha1212 14 3369 August 25, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Stereotyping goes away with maturity shortbusgangsta3 16 2894 July 9, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: shortbusgangsta3
  What goes well with peanut butter in a sandwich? Chad32 40 6300 April 3, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: c172
  What goes on in such a mind? Something completely different 8 2592 August 3, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Family "invests" $100K in beanie babies, goes bankrupt Doubting Thomas 29 8084 July 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  The Olympic Torch goes past my house! Darwinian 3 1458 July 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Angrboda