Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism + revisited, anyone here also post there?
Atheism + revisited, anyone here also post there?
I just posted a thread titled "Anyone else here also post at other sites?" Well, I didn't so much post it as submit it for approval. If it is accepted for posting I should be notified.

I last visited there about a year ago. Recent discussions reminded me of that experience. So I decided to try open this new thread with the following opening post:

Quote:Hi. I've never really got started here. But I post a lot at Atheistforums.org and less frequently now at AgnosticsInternational, all under the same name. The last time I posted here I was surprised to see that "humanism" and "social justice" were treated as already fully defined and so not up for discussion. Has that changed any in the past year?

Also, which sub-forums would you recommend to discuss the concepts of "consciousness", "self" and "identity"? Thanks.

So I'd be curious if anyone else here has managed to have a good time there without being banned?
RE: Atheism + revisited, anyone here also post there?
Well that post was accepted so I decided to post on an existing thread titled "Why are you an atheist?"

This was my response:

Quote:For myself I accept the label "atheist" because I don't consciously hold any belief in gods. I also find no indication of unconscious belief in gods. So fine, I am an atheist.

Of course the term "gods" is pretty sketchily and inconsistently described by those who profess to believe in them. So to form a belief about something one hardly understands is a little hard anyway. So I also accept the label "ignostic".

But if I am an atheist, I must be an agnostic atheist since I can scarcely claim to know anything at all about 'gods', including whether or not they exist. This isn't a question of relative certainty. I simply do not endorse the statement "I believe gods do not exist". It really does depend on what people mean by gods.

So what is this phenomenon of god-belief about? I don't think it is merely about being mistaken or motivated to deceive. I think that which gives rise to our sense of identity is also capable of giving rise to a sense of a 'god' within. Essentially it just seems to be a sense of 'another' within, another with some abilities/insights that surpass what we are capable of consciously, perhaps.

When I was a child, my parents were Christians and they -especially my father- tried to raise me to believe the same. For whatever reason, it didn't take. By ten or eleven I recognized that I didn't believe in them. I didn't try to de-convert my parents. It was pretty apparent to me that this wasn't something they'd welcome. All in all, I don't really look to foist onto others what they don't desire.

So I'm not a big advocate of anti-theism. I doubt it can do much good. My sense is more would be accomplished by simply encouraging theists to move toward better theology, away from literal interpretations and toward the allegorical. Recognizing that they can maintain their beliefs while also recognizing critically that this isn't knowledge is a step forward.

I'm surprised that my own thread was approved but no one has responded. I wonder if it hasn't become a ghost site. Banning everyone right and left doesn't seem any way to build a community. Maybe it has changed. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
Atheism+? Shit no!

I'd sooner join the Rapture Ready forum. I am interested in your experience to see if they've changed their ways.
As above.

I'd rather post on christian forums for self-flagulation than A+.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(July 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm)whateverist Wrote: Well, I didn't so much post it as submit it for approval.

Sounds like an open minded forum.
As someone who is relatively new to atheist forums, I've only heard about Atheism+ by reference in other conversations. What's the deal with Atheism+? Do people not like it as a group?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(July 22, 2014 at 8:05 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: As someone who is relatively new to atheist forums, I've only heard about Atheism+ by reference in other conversations. What's the deal with Atheism+? Do people not like it as a group?

Imagine a group of atheists who behave in much the same way as, say, christianforums.com where everything that's not on their list of approved subjects gets removed and the members who post them banned.

They're a group of people who are consumed by their need to create a clique of like-minded individuals at the expense of anyone who shows dissent.

SEE the a+ blockbot: http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/08/bbcs-n...k-bot.html

http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/09/the-at...books.html
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I have a Catholic forums acct. They never approve my threads though :-P
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 22, 2014 at 8:05 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: As someone who is relatively new to atheist forums, I've only heard about Atheism+ by reference in other conversations. What's the deal with Atheism+? Do people not like it as a group?

As I understood it it attaches a whole bunch of ideology to atheism. Hence: Atheism +

And herding atheists is like herding cats...
(July 22, 2014 at 8:07 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote:

Imagine a group of atheists who behave in much the same way as, say, christianforums.com where everything that's not on their list of approved subjects gets removed and the members who post them banned.

They're a group of people who are consumed by their need to create a clique of like-minded individuals at the expense of anyone who shows dissent.

Ah. I can see why that's annoying as hell. I did a quick read up on their site, and it seems they have a series of political positions and definitions as well, and anyone that wants to join has to conform to them? Why call themselves "Atheism +" and not some new word that encompasses their political views and doesn't appropriate an already existing label?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2289 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3013 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone here a Category 7? Jehanne 159 13612 October 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4146 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3510 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27100 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Anyone here seen the documentary Jesus Camp? NuclearEnergy 27 3607 April 9, 2017 at 7:12 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 14459 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 9713 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did anyone here post at the Atheist Plus forums? TheMessiah 10 4459 June 7, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia