Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time?

I've been reading much on atheist lately and was surprised at the
number that vote Republican.

Are there any Moderate or right of center atheist on here?
RE: How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time?
I was tempted to vote for McCain in '08, but then they announced Palin as his running mate and I turned tail with a quickness.

In more recent years, there hasn't been a republican I would trust to feed my cat, let alone run the country.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Conservatives in America seem to be super religious compared to European ones, so it appears natural American atheists wouldn't vote for conservatives. In Europe, there really isn't a problem in an atheist voting conservative provided you agree with the ideas, mostly economic ones. The last guy I voted for local elections was a conservative leaning monarchist - I don't give a shit, he has proven to be the best person for the job.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: In more recent years, there hasn't been a republican I would trust to feed my cat, let alone run the country.

"I ate some of your cat's food, and sent the rest of it to foreign cats who only eat 1/5 as much and catch twice as many mice.  But it's ok, because the food will trickle down to your cat later once it gets off its butt and starts working for 50 hours a week."
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
If a republican candidate didn't stroke jesus, the bible, pro-life, and let's get the sanctity of marriage back constantly, I'd give one a second thought.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
I voted republican until somewhat recently, but after watching Secular Talk and stuff long enough I decided the republican party isn't for me. As a low income atheist, I really don't think they have my best interests at heart. The democrats aren't a whole lot better, but I don't have much choice. I just wish they had more backbone, and didn't let the repubs drag them to the right.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 16, 2015 at 2:02 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Conservatives in America seem to be super religious compared to European ones, so it appears natural American atheists wouldn't vote for conservatives. In Europe, there really isn't a problem in an atheist voting conservative provided you agree with the ideas, mostly economic ones. The last guy I voted for local elections was a conservative leaning monarchist - I don't give a shit, he has proven to be the best person for the job.

To be fair, local elections are different here in America too.  I'd have no problem voting for a Republican in a local election, say, for mayor, because 1) they're generally not going to be able to dictate social policy (they're more administrators) and 2) on a small scale, it's more about personality than policy a lot of times.  If I think someone could do a decent job at the county level (generally 40,000 to 250,000 here in Pennsylvania), their nominal party is fairly low on my list of things I care about.  Most viable candidates around here run on (and win) both primary tickets.

Past that, though, when you get into state legislature or bigger, then it becomes a bigger concern, as social policy and legislation eclipse administration and community interaction.  I can not imagine voting for a Republican President/US Congress candidate.  If I absolutely did not think the Democratic primary winner could do at least an acceptable job, I'd write in someone I like.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
There are some fiscal policies that I like from the Repubs from time to time, but the Repub party is so tied into the Christian right, I would have a hard time voting for one.

When every Repub candidate, at a debate, is proud of the fact that they don't believe in evolution, I just could not vote for one. Anyone that denies reality to that extent, cannot be trusted to make critical decisions.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Atheist and registered republican. My vote swings based on the issues. In national presidential politics there has not been much to choose from since the birth of the tea party so I've voted dem (somewhat grudgingly). Couldn't imagine Sarah Palin being anywhere near to power. Vote mostly rep in local/state elections.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm not an American, but I haven't voted conservative since my teens when the conservatives in my country stood for the Middle Class. Now they fuck pretty much everyone not being a millionaire, still go with the trickle down economics bullshit and have proven to have no problem forming extreme rightwing alliances. And the first thing they usually go for is social security to add insult to injury to the poorest people.

That said, there's no party or cadidate I have voted for in three decades. I usually vote against something I consider the bigger evil.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5244 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2290 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7026 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4464 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6191 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17162 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8789 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4760 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  Why I'm an atheist, a point of confusion for many theists Asmodee 28 5490 December 21, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  so i decided to google "if christians should vote trump" Rextos 17 2381 June 7, 2016 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: IATIA