Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 10:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reddit drama
Reddit drama
So has anyone been following the recent reddit drama involving Unidan? If so what do you make of it? I guess this is more a thread for people who already know what's going on but if not then you can check out the recap here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/c...f_reddits/

Unidan got fucking uni-banned!

Anyone else just find this internet drama fucking hilarious? I've always found Unidan to be insufferable, anyone who starts their posts with "[insert name] here!" obviously likes hearing their own name a bit too much.
RE: Reddit drama
Lilly here Smile Hi, everybody! Big Grin What's going on? Pretty sweet day on the forum, huh?

Why, it's so sickeningly sweet and devoid of other flavors that I could just KILL SOMEBODY.

So yeah, sup?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ here.

I don't really get reddit.

~Ryantology~
Napo here!

Heh, didn't think this thread would get that much interest so I can't say I'm surprised, I just thought there might be some other peeps who frequent reddit and follow this shit.

For those who might be faintly interested:

The basic gist is, the most 'famous' redditor (a biologist known as Unidan who posts in a lot of threads about biology, often speaking as the ultimate voice of authority in a sickeningly happy and pleasant manner) has been banned for using multiple accounts to boost his own posts with upvotes and downvote others that dare post an opposing viewpoint. From my understanding he would basically downvote any posts competing with his own, even if they agreed with him. He was basically using a shit ton of sockpuppets to give his popularity a boost, and give himself a false headstart. The way commenting and posting in general works on reddit, the first few upvotes/downvotes are crucial as to whether the 'reddit consensus' sides with you. He was essentially rigging the initial phase of voting so that he would always have positive votes when starting out with his comments, this is often enough to get hundreds more upvotes as people just assume what you're saying is right if it has upvotes.

The thing is, he's got quite a big fan club on reddit. And one innocent redditor in particular has had their comment scores (hell, her whole account) completely destroyed by downvotes from his fanbase, just because she got into an argument with him on the same day he was banned (people assumed it was due to this argument and not because he was sockpuppeting that he got banned). Also, a lot of other biologists and people who know their shit ended up getting ignored because everyone bums off of Unidan so much, they say things like "can we get Unidan to clarify" or "you're not Unidan". So much so that genuine biologists who have been in the field for 40+ years (when Unidan is just a grad student) are completely overlooked in favour of this asshat Unidan.

Now he's made another account, UnidanX and is trying to worm his way back into favour by apologising and making excuses. Having multiple accounts on reddit isn't against the rules, but vote rigging is, and the mods of the various subreddits can often see when you're doing it. Unidan got caught out and now his reputation is in tatters, it may even affect his ability to get a job once he graduates funnily enough.
Not familiar with the dude, but I seldom check up on reedit either. I'm just not a big fan of the style reedit uses, but I'll lurk and post once or twice a month if the topic is interesting enough. Rigging up votes is just stupid. Either people like what you have to say or don't. It's sorta like having a popularity contest with yourself. Probably works well for those with multiple personalities though.

Oh, Elskidor here btw!
(August 1, 2014 at 9:30 am)Elskidor Wrote: Not familiar with the dude, but I seldom check up on reedit either. I'm just not a big fan of the style reedit uses, but I'll lurk and post once or twice a month if the topic is interesting enough. Rigging up votes is just stupid. Either people like what you have to say or don't. It's sorta like having a popularity contest with yourself. Probably works well for those with multiple personalities though.

Oh, Elskidor here btw!

The weird thing is he really didn't need to do it, he probably has the biggest fan base on the website.

I like reddit for the simple fact it has a subreddit for basically anything you can imagine, and even the smallest ones are usually active. If you're looking for advice or information on something specific it's usually the best place to go.

Also I just spend hours scrolling. If you haven't heard of it you should try out the reddit enhancement suite, it completely changes the way the website works, you don't have to go to external sites to look at images and generally everything is much more streamlined.
Fidel here!

Never really used reddit aside to lurk on some astronomy topics I was interested in when I bought a telescope a while back.

I spend too much time here Sad
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(August 1, 2014 at 9:35 am)Napoléon Wrote: I like reddit for the simple fact it has a subreddit for basically anything you can imagine, and even the smallest ones are usually active.

That's actually my problem. There's so much and it's so big.

My wife grew up in a town of about 4,000, and I grew up in a metro area with over a million people. Me being on Reddit is sort of like reversing the role, internetally speaking, because she loves Reddit and can't understand why I don't.

And I got precisely half the karma I have because I posted a picture of my cat.

[Image: sS7sAI3.png]
Ryan, Reddit = Usenet before the binary stuff but for the 21st century
(August 1, 2014 at 3:10 pm)StuW Wrote: Ryan, Reddit = Usenet before the binary stuff but for the 21st century

Ah, so it's a wasteland. It's all clear now.

:p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The DRAMA Thread Silver 5 356 April 6, 2022 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Reddit Silver 5 467 July 16, 2020 at 7:13 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Anyone here try reddit? Atomic Lava 8 1164 November 15, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The catch-all forum drama thread KevinM1 85 8299 May 9, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Divorce Drama Won2blv 9 984 November 20, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Whatcha think about Reddit ? Marsellus Wallace 5 1209 November 19, 2014 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Question Just got this PM on reddit to pray to Gaia so the system will collapse. MountainsWinAgain 4 1092 June 20, 2014 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheistforums.org has become Reddit. Violet 8 4334 February 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Little bit of cop drama. lrh9 12 4353 September 28, 2010 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Jaysyn