Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
article I found about muslim atheism.
article I found about muslim atheism.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizv...61226.html

Read a couple and this seemed the most sensible.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
RE: article I found about muslim atheism.
Any person call himself a "Muslim atheist" if he wants to. But definition wise it doesn't make sense.

The author says that the "Muslim" part of the label only refers to his practice and enjoyment of cultural customs. But that doesn't make sense either because (1) the word "Muslim" is directly and exclusively linked to Islam, which is a religion, and (2) every ritual that is decreed in Islam is also religious, not cultural, since the entire Islam itself is a religion. So, any practice or ritual that falls under Islam cannot be regarded as merely a cultural thing. The same goes for labels like "Christian atheist," "Hindu atheist," etc.
RE: article I found about muslim atheism.
(August 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Any person call himself a "Muslim atheist" if he wants to. But definition wise it doesn't make sense.

The author says that the "Muslim" part of the label only refers to his practice and enjoyment of cultural customs. But that doesn't make sense either because (1) the word "Muslim" is directly and exclusively linked to Islam, which is a religion, and (2) every ritual that is decreed in Islam is also religious, not cultural, since the entire Islam itself is a religion. So, any practice or ritual that falls under Islam cannot be regarded as merely a cultural thing. The same goes for labels like "Christian atheist," "Hindu atheist," etc.

I agree with you. But it seems that a lot of muslim brains are undergoing a painful schizm and are seeking to justify it to themselves this way. I liked that the author of the article recognised that islam needed to undergo an enlightenment and reformation like the christian west did to loosen it's grip and allow critical thought. Maybe it's a start.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1992 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Awesome ex-muslim testimonies. purplepurpose 5 1370 August 2, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2721 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27096 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pathos article atheists can identify with. Brian37 6 2194 September 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27132 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1642 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1391 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Why God is scientifically redefinable (an atheist article snippet) MadaraUchihuh 4 1401 March 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 3891 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive