Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion into the Future
Religion into the Future
With science becoming more and more prevalent (and the belief it will become more mainstream) how do you think will affect religions into the future?

Many science fiction novels attempt to explore this arena by showing them to become more personal and less evangelistic and radical. While others explore the realm that it will remain the same and just evolve. However, with the more awareness of the abuses of unaccountable religion, it seems this could be jeopardizing its prominent roll in the psychology of the human mind. I believe this is an interesting topic to explore as religions are becoming seemingly more radical, albeit fewer in number.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Religion into the Future
More science means less religion.
Actually you don't need science, just diversity of religion (to compare and conclude that they're not much different)
I think it's very hard to say bladevalant. History has a way of surprising people. I'm sure religions do get shaped by factors external to themselves. I'd love science to be one of the major influences, but I fear politics and nationalism seem to be having the greater impact.
(August 21, 2014 at 9:48 am)Michael Wrote: I think it's very hard to say bladevalant. History has a way of surprising people. I'm sure religions do get shaped by factors external to themselves. I'd love science to be one of the major influences, but I fear politics and nationalism seem to be having the greater impact.

I agree totally. Especially here in 'Merica, where Christianity seems to be "ways to justify hating the things and people you already hate".
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 21, 2014 at 9:48 am)Michael Wrote: I think it's very hard to say bladevalant. History has a way of surprising people. I'm sure religions do get shaped by factors external to themselves. I'd love science to be one of the major influences, but I fear politics and nationalism seem to be having the greater impact.

That is a fair assessment. Historically nationalism and politics is showing to be more deadly than religion. Which a lot of those nationalistic or political regimes can be called a religion in and of itself as we have seen with the Nazis and USSR authoritarian concepts follow nearly identical psychological traits as those whom belong to cults or organized religions.

Also, in the US religious extremism is being used as a political ploy to maintain ignorance with in the voter population to fuel political careers. With that said, I think it is important to speculate how this will play out. As we have seen the impact both ideals can have on the social policy and psychological norms.

(August 21, 2014 at 9:58 am)bladevalant546 Wrote:

That is a fair assessment. Historically nationalism and politics is showing to be more deadly than religion. Which a lot of those nationalistic or political regimes can be called a religion in and of itself as we have seen with the Nazis and USSR authoritarian concepts follow nearly identical psychological traits as those whom belong to cults or organized religions.

Also, in the US religious extremism is being used as a political ploy to maintain ignorance with in the voter population to fuel political careers. With that said, I think it is important to speculate how this will play out. As we have seen the impact both ideals can have on the social policy and psychological norms.

I still remain pretty optimistic that the ignorance in the voter base cultivated by the Christian right will decline pretty severely over time, with how much information and opposing viewpoints to which people have access nowadays thanks to mass communications. We've already seen a massive shift on topics that 20 years ago seemed like they were pipe dreams (gay rights, pot legalziation, etc). I think it's more a matter of waiting until the current, older generations in politics are out of office.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
That is the scary point in my honest opinion. Will they leave anything left for us young generations to fix. They seem to have a me me me mentality and rather have mutually assured destruction than to allow "god forbid" others prosper either easier than them or in a different way.

I think religion is slowly evaporating. We all know religious institutions like marriage are noticeably disappearing. Pretty soon the ministers will all openly admit the bible is just fiction and they'll retain a small and loyal fallowing out of tradition. Globalism is really going to change that. When transportation break through people start working in Texas, but living in the Philippines, traditions will become murky. Everybody will have to speak some pantomimed pigeon version of Engrish until we develop a common tongue. Traditional languages will slowly die off. Extravagant holy temples may be preserved as monuments and their traditions will be maintained as a tourist attraction, but nobody will take them seriously.
god is supposed to be imaginary
No impact. Stupid people will continue to believe in absurd ancient superstitions no matter how much science is shoved up their assholes.
Does the ever increasing number of unaffiliated churches dilute further their 'voice' ??

It would seem a Methodist bishop addressing a congresscritter on behalf of several million members might garner more face time than 200 individual preachers might, assuming their 200 churches were all 'branded' differently.

I'm thinking encouraging and fostering schisms might further dissipate the religious voice in political orbits.

Enlighten me if I'm off base there . . .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2533 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  NDE of future war of demons masquerading as aliens scoobysnack 73 25935 June 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3480 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10716 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My hypothesis on the current future of religion. dyresand 15 3885 October 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19815 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult hogwash 23 6017 July 24, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: hogwash
  Why the future of religion is bleak nihilistcat 7 2171 May 3, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research) ReptilianPeon 35 6294 April 14, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle