Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the future of religion is bleak
Why the future of religion is bleak
In sharing this article by Daniel Dennett, I'd like to preface it with some of my own thoughts on this matter.

One notable thing (just from my own anecdotal observations), religion is rapidly declining in places that afford its citizens high quality education e.g. Western Europe (particularly northern Europe), the northeast and west coast here in the US, Australia, etc. In places with poor academic performance (the Islamic world, the midwest and southern United States, Latin America, etc.) religion is alive and well (and growing). This parallels a pattern in religion (think how the Catholic church, at one time, didn't allow its adherents access to its bible).

As people are exposed to information like evolutionary biology, geology, astrophysics, archaeology, etc., it will become exceedingly apparent that religious claims are no more than mythic legend. The only thing that can slow this intellectual evolution is to deny people access to education (like the medieval Catholic church did). In other words, you can think of atheism as analogous to the next reformation, and its protagonists as the new reformers. But its reach will be global, not confined to any one particular religious system. And as humans begin to base our decision making on rationality and reality, informed by a radical allegiance to human rights, liberty, and human dignity, we will all reap the benefits.

Okay, hopefully everyone enjoys the article (see link below).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-futu...1430104785
RE: Why the future of religion is bleak
I actually enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for that.
Of course, there has always been this pattern prelevent throughout history. Religion is but one of the many forms of gaining power and control over others, and for centuries it was the most effective method.
In time it will be replaced by another method that works better in a changing world.
The problems with organised religion are so varied, and so palpable that listing them all would take an entire novel - and many such novels have been published. But really, the main issue I see with it is the marketing. It is a perfect marketing scam - or at least it was before, now the cracks are really starting to show. But for now, it has enough intertia and gullible, mouldable people living in fear of the unknown or unable to think for themselves that it will persist for a long time yet. The mixture of preying on the weak and fearful, promising salvation in exchange for worship, favouring meaningless emotional satisfaction over logical answers still hold much power. But as the world changes, as humankind gradually grows smarter, healthier and less afraid, its power will wane and its control will falter.
Empires rise and fall with the ages. So it has always been, and so shall it always be.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(May 2, 2015 at 4:16 pm)francismjenkins Wrote: In places with poor academic performance (the Islamic world, the midwest and southern United States, Latin America, etc.) religion is alive and well (and growing). This parallels a pattern in religion (think how the Catholic church, at one time, didn't allow its adherents access to its bible).

As people are exposed to information like evolutionary biology, geology, astrophysics, archaeology, etc., it will become exceedingly apparent that religious claims are no more than mythic legend. The only thing that can slow this intellectual evolution is to deny people access to education (like the medieval Catholic church did).

Hence, Republicans!

Yes, that is exactly the case in the USA. Keep the ignorant people ignorant. Keep the educated people silent and give a voice to the ignorant. Too bad for them there are people like us! Too bad for them the reach of the internet keeps growing and growing!  Clap
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
The last available tactic for keeping religion going seems to be overt threats of violence. Not even threats of what will happen after you die anymore, threats of what I'll do to you right now because my god is busy or something. As secular laws don't allow this kind of crap, God is folding in civilised countries.

I'm sure even countries with this going on harbour many atheists, they just have to keep undercover. I hope some day there will be enough to be able to form some sort of movement, or at least free themselves from threats and oppression.

Secular laws > God

Internet > God
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Judging by the quality of believers we see around here, I'd say they are fucked.
Future of religion is bleak because it's own continued survival depends on lack of success in its own most earnest pursuit.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I agree on most points.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NDE of future war of demons masquerading as aliens scoobysnack 73 26192 June 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10936 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4953 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My hypothesis on the current future of religion. dyresand 15 3918 October 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19932 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  The Future Of World Relgions report (PEW Research) ReptilianPeon 35 6343 April 14, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50164 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion into the Future bladevalant546 14 3690 August 25, 2014 at 8:28 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Will there be a liberal political party in the future? GayAtheist 13 3173 August 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: iHateTrolls
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11696 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik