Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Important Recap on Modern Scholarship
An Important Recap on Modern Scholarship
...not to mention a kick in the nuts to jesus freaks.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/30/di...-think-so/

Quote:Did the historical Jesus exist? A growing number of scholars don’t think so

Quote:The notion that Jesus never existed is a minority position. Of course it is! says David Fitzgerald, author of Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All . For centuries all serious scholars of Christianity were Christians themselves, and modern secular scholars lean heavily on the groundwork that they laid in collecting, preserving, and analyzing ancient texts. Even today most secular scholars come out of a religious background, and many operate by default under historical presumptions of their former faith.

Now let the wailing and shrieking from the faith-fucks commence!
RE: An Important Recap on Modern Scholarship
Isn't it funny that Christians are using the fact that Jesus' corpse has never been discovered to prove his existence?
To quote from the article:

Quote:“The historical Jesus (if there was one) might well have been a messianic king, or a progressive Pharisee, or a Galilean shaman, or a magus, or a Hellenistic sage. But he cannot very well have been all of them at the same time.” John Dominic Crossan of the Jesus Seminar grumbles that “the stunning diversity is an academic embarrassment.”

Jesus can be whatever a believer wants him to be...whenever he needs him to be it.

Hard to differentiate 'jesus' from a lump of silly putty in that regard.
(August 30, 2014 at 1:09 pm)Baqal Wrote: Isn't it funny that Christians are using the fact that Jesus' corpse has never been discovered to prove his existence?

I actually, truly had a Christian tell me once, 'There's more evidence for Jesus than there is for Abraham Lincoln!'

My reply was something like, 'Luv, if you've got photographs of Jesus, trot 'em out - you'll make a fortune!'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Just another example of the stupid shit that jesus freaks believe.

Speaking of which.....

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/30/br...ing-apart/

Quote:Bryan Fischer: Jesus is the ‘magic force’ that keeps the universe from ‘flying apart’

If G-C was still around I'm sure he'd jump all over this like a pig in a mud puddle.
(August 30, 2014 at 1:09 pm)Baqal Wrote: Isn't it funny that Christians are using the fact that Jesus' corpse has never been discovered to prove his existence?

The argument from an empty tomb is one of the worst arguments ever.

Also does that article reference 'Zeitgeist: The Move'? Probably the worst pile of conspiracy theory bullshit ever produced.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Still waiting on the records of his trial and execution, btw. Because that account in the bible is a load of bunk. That isn't the Pontius Pilot I know, and it's pretty clear he gospel authors had never known him or talked with anyone who had dealings with him.
(August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm)Natachan Wrote: Still waiting on the records of his trial and execution, btw. Because that account in the bible is a load of bunk. That isn't the Pontius Pilot I know, and it's pretty clear he gospel authors had never known him or talked with anyone who had dealings with him.

You'll be waiting a long time. Contrary to what some people claim, the Romans most certainly did not keep immaculate records (that survive to this day!) on every person that they executed. I think the fact that Jesus has no primary sources is a weak argument for his non-existence made by people with little historical knowledge. Tons of super important historical figures don't have primary sources, including Aristotle and even Ghenghis Khan who conquered most of the known world. The ancient world is not a very thoroughly documented place and the claim that there should be better records on something as specific as a specific person's trail and execution is absurd.

None of that means that Jesus existed or didn't exist. Personally I find it to be a fairly irrelevant question, if there is a historical basis for Jesus it's so heavily fictionalized that it might as well be made up entirely. Not really as relevant a question as you'd think.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
No...but you'd think that if there was even the rumor that a man was executed by a Roman magistrate and came back from the dead that someone would have commented on it if only to lampoon it.

Yet..... nary a word.... until the second century.

Which, btw, happens to be when Celsus and Lucian of Samosata DID start lampooning it.
You don't place ANY of the NT books in the first-century, Min?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The founding fathers/mothers of Modern Atheism/Liberalism. Nishant Xavier 66 4246 August 6, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6823 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8576 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  How important is it to you to convert theists to atheism? Whateverist 50 4894 November 21, 2016 at 1:23 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  What is the name for modern atheists? bambi_swag 63 12464 October 4, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  That's pretty important isn’t it because if awaralarki 8 3203 August 8, 2015 at 8:07 am
Last Post: c172
  In my opinion most important Hitchens debate tor 0 1407 March 24, 2014 at 3:13 am
Last Post: tor
  Why It Is More Important To Be Atheist jut 18 5951 May 13, 2012 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Adjusted Sanity
  Between A Scholarship and A Hard Place klassykow 13 6040 April 2, 2012 at 9:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God heals through modern medicine? Ziploc Surprise 31 10385 March 17, 2012 at 11:37 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko