Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creative Writing
Creative Writing
Share/critique any creative writing pieces you've written here. I wrote this when I was about 16 or 17 for an English assignment. Reading it now, it seems a bit naive, simplistic, and more than a bit morose, but I'll let you be the judges of that.

[Image: thfrog.gif]

RE: Creative Writing
When I was in 7th grade I wrote a poem that got published in a Young Poets Anthology.

Other than that, I have an interest in writing, I love learning about writing structure and how to do it and what makes a good story, and I'm okay at plotting, I think, but I'm never able to actually write much, or if I start I never finish what I write.

I'd probably make a way better editor than a writer.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I don't think I'd ever bother to learn formally about writing structure or plotting, instead just writing as it comes to me. But I don't really write that often. What was the poem about?
I entered the OP in a competition to get your piece put in the school journal thing. Needless to say it didn't make it in... (I wonder why)... the entry that won was about a kid wetting his bed. :/

I'm part way through my 7th book now, but if you want to read any of my stuff you'll have to pay for it! Big Grin
What do you write about?

(September 5, 2014 at 10:52 am)Sejanus Wrote: What was the poem about?

I'll post it when I get home. I can only remember the first stanza.

As for writing instructional things, I really love Dan Wells talk on story structure which he talks about in this video (this is the first in a 5-part video)

What I love about learning about story structure and story-telling techniques is when you start to see all of these techniques crop up in movies or books you love, or movies that are, frankly, so-so but become inexplicable box office hits.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(September 5, 2014 at 11:10 am)Sejanus Wrote: What do you write about?

I've written some short stories, two novels, and now I'm on the third of a trilogy of thrillers.
I wrote this for my union's newsletter in 2009. The local was known as Chapter 53 and the IRS management utterly hated our newsletter. I did my best to make sure they continued hating it. It's in the form of an interview with Richard Dawkins.

Okay, here's my 7th grade poem:

The Straws

The highlight of my writing career.

I needed a thesaurus, but for being 11/12 it's alright... Big Grin

It wasn't exactly "creative" writing, but when I was in architecture school, I wrote a paper on the Rialto Bridge design by Antonio da Ponte and why is was better than the bridge designed by more-famous Palladio that got 98/100 - the two points docked were because I didn't use the exact footnoting format the professor wanted. What an asshole. :p
I'd like to be able to write, but the times I've tried, it was so bloody boring that I never got passed the first line. Here are a few samples:

At 84, my grandfather began whistling tunes he had made up about the sexual habits of Estonians.

The psychiatrist couldn't even being to decide how to treat Reynaldo, the first vegetarian cannibal he had ever encountered.

As the clerk at the florist's gave Miranda her change, she inexplicably became terrified that something ghastly had happened to her collection of Ringo Starr memorabilia.

Sheila dearly loved bacon, but her life of late seemed to consist of nothing but wilted carrot greens.

It was a glorious morning - one of those mornings that make you feel you're going to get laid before noon whether you brush your teeth or not.

Regaining consciousness in an alleyway, wearing only mismatched shoes and smelling of lavender and vomit, Mitch found himself oddly relieved.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My writing Foxaèr 5 565 August 23, 2018 at 4:56 am
Last Post: Azu
  Finished writing my novel Foxaèr 7 596 February 13, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 754 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I don't know why I care what you think of my writing. Foxaèr 2 812 June 4, 2016 at 8:12 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Something new I'm writing. Foxaèr 2 709 May 31, 2016 at 4:05 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  My writing Foxaèr 10 1199 May 30, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: carusmm
  Writing, Writers, and Scribbles. Stormcat 21 2987 February 17, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Still no official writing thread. Foxaèr 3 1094 January 25, 2016 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Writing Books BrokenQuill92 15 2496 March 28, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD