Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Would God Hide?
Why Would God Hide?
The Theist's Post

My Response

I would prefer literal proofs, yes, but only because I've exhausted looking at the Abrahamic religions through the "metaphorical" eyes, and even Sikhism, Buddhism, and Taoism, for instance. In the end, it comes down to three types of metaphorical proof: prophecies, holy texts, and mystical experiences. Since I never had mystical experiences, it came down to prophecies that were all too vague to be useful and holy texts that laid on appeals to authority from multiple different self-proclaimed prophets or authors, that seemed, to me, to have little basis in fact (for instance, the claim in the Bible that 500 witnesses saw Jesus rise based on hearsay).

I think that I am a very logically and scientifically oriented person now, after coming from a Catholic faith where I had to accept a LOT of appeals to authority or "mysteries of faith," so I for instance think that the laws of physics as we understand them are valid across the universe because of multiple different and independent observations confirming this to be true. I haven't seen the same with religion- usually adherents one of one religion make some claims using internal logic and claims of infallibility that are easily malleable in case an escape hatch is needed.

Apologies if that seemed blunt, but I don't understand why a deity who actually cares about his creations (as in, non-deistic), would operate the way you claim he does (not getting it right with one prophet, but instead having to send one every thousand years), but would not instead make his existence as obvious as the light of the Sun. (Don't try to appeal to "mysterious ways" or "free will" with me- mysterious reasons for somebody doing something for me equals no reason at all). Just because the Sun exists beyond a doubt and no sane person would claim otherwise does not mean that we have no free will.

Basically, I try to keep my thinking consistent, and since I am a skeptic don't allow for metaphors to get in the way when I investigate a scientific claim and proof for such, I take the same approach to everything in life, including religion.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: Why Would God Hide?
So called spiritual things cannot be understood by science thinking, science is more towards objective thinking, where religion is more towards subjective thinking, with religion you can only describe it in metaphorical language, this is the same as mythology, the myth points to that which it is trying to describe in a way we can understand it.
Quote:Not until after that last breath has been finished, and we know whether God deals with us with His Justice or His Mercy.

Convenient for the man who has no evidence to back up his claims.
(September 6, 2014 at 1:35 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Not until after that last breath has been finished, and we know whether God deals with us with His Justice or His Mercy.

Convenient for the man who has no evidence to back up his claims.

And whose religion claims:

"Those who have rejected God and firmly cling to Nature as it is in itself are, verily, bereft of knowledge and wisdom. They are truly of them that are far astray. They have failed to attain the lofty summit and have fallen short of the ultimate purpose; therefore their eyes were shut and their thoughts differed, while the leaders among them have believed in God and in His invincible sovereignty. Unto this beareth witness thy Lord, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting."

http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/TB/tb-10.html

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
At some time in their lives most children play "I know something you don't know...."

Most outgrow it.

Religious shitheads never do.
My question to them would be: "Where's the proof in the pudding that's in the eating?" Maybe I'm just tired and mixed my metaphors, but you get the idea.

He gave you that "answer" right here.

Quote:In this sense, if we use an example from the Christian Revelation. Christ said that when He came again, every eye would see him and that He would come down on a cloud.

His godboy has all the answers and he feels no need at all to demonstrate that his godboy is real. In fact, he utterly rejects the idea of a need.
(September 6, 2014 at 2:42 am)Minimalist Wrote: He gave you that "answer" right here.

Quote:In this sense, if we use an example from the Christian Revelation. Christ said that when He came again, every eye would see him and that He would come down on a cloud.

His godboy has all the answers and he feels no need at all to demonstrate that his godboy is real. In fact, he utterly rejects the idea of a need.

And apparently holds the idea that all religions are one- except the bad parts that followers added later.

I suspect that God is hiding because he'd balding and a little insecure about his appearance. Makes about as much sense as any other explanation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The fucker owes me money, that's why, and I'm gonna have my buddy Vito kneecap his ass.

Oh, you meant "God" -- not Claude, from the south side of Philly? Never mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78654 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4047 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 6842 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2562 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11604 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4623 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8643 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Why would a perfect being make an imperfect world? Socrates 138 31016 February 25, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8109 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA
  What Would the World b Like if You were God Rhondazvous 45 8569 August 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: ForsakenHeretic