Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mormonism, anything goes
mormonism, anything goes
You can't expect much from a religion where all teachings are derived from a con man and systematic manipulation, but sometimes I am still suprised by some of the things that can be interpretted from nonsense.

For example, I heard one of my family members assert that there are some cases where the doctor will dectect twins in the womb of a pregnate woman in an early stage and then later the sonagram, and ultimately birth will produce only one child. Interesting phenomenon if this actually happens. I'd love to investigate it. But does religion? No, it holds no interest in investigation. So her explination is simply "the spirits must have touched down at once inside of the womb and then one must have left."

What?! An ultrasound does not detect spirits, it detects developing life forms. How is this an explanation at all?!

This is equivalent to saying "2+2=5"

What? How are you drawing your conclusions? What is your process? Where is your data? Who are your sources?

I understand that I have very different answers than you do, but all I ask is you give me the blue print.

Anyways, I digress.

My point is, when you follow the precepts of superstition, your bound to be diluted intellectually by lazy reasoning and ridiculous conclusions.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: mormonism, anything goes
All I can do here is quite George Carlin. "Think of how stupid the average person is and remember half of them are even dumber.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(September 16, 2014 at 12:58 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: All I can do here is quite George Carlin. "Think of how stupid the average person is and remember half of them are even dumber.

I can't help but feel even more hopeless knowing that. Haha.
I'm sorry, how does this thread link to Mormonism, exactly? Thinking
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(September 16, 2014 at 10:06 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I'm sorry, how does this thread link to Mormonism, exactly? Thinking

Sorry, my family is mormon and they, along with they're colleagues in religion, love to come up with stuff like this and this stuff is never refuted because in Mormonism, anything goes. It's all open for interpretation until a general authority speaks on the issue.
My father's Pentecostalism is similar. Any story that buttresses the faith must be true and accepted uncritically.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
And in the Mormon orbit, you have the bible, you have Smith's contrived and bullshittyful Book of Mormon, then you have The Pearl of Great Price, and then the Book of Doctrines and Covenants. And on top of that bewildered and bewildering heap of nonsense, you have the writings and sayings of most everyone ever in the Mormon hierarchy. Confused and confusing multiplied by themselves.

There is no 'final' authority in Mormonism, if someone manages to cough up an answer to a question, and it looks like there might be some negative financial impact to the church coffers, (or some other negative impact, although the bottom line is the bottom line) someone else is sure to trot out another answer, and remain oblivious to the contradictions and total contrivement that is Mormonism.
(September 16, 2014 at 1:28 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: There is no 'final' authority in Mormonism

God is the final authority in Mormonism, DUH!!

[Image: giphy.gif]

:p
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Depends on how 'on board' with Salt Lake City God happens to be at the time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2041 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Another "image" of Jesus goes viral Foxaèr 26 2667 May 21, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Has anyone been to a funeral where the individual goes to hell? brewer 27 5620 May 8, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good TheMessiah 13 3797 June 14, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Was it necessary to create anything? ReptilianPeon 72 9407 April 6, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Save The World From Mormonism LivingNumbers6.626 2 811 April 23, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Where goes god get his morality from? Lemonvariable72 32 8244 September 28, 2013 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Esquilax
Tongue Atheist on Mormonism Cholley71 5 2037 August 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Humor goes creepy Epimethean 6 1709 October 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: ElDinero
  What happens when an athiest goes to a pentacostal church? "funny story" JohnDG 19 9989 May 16, 2011 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Cinjin