Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving Soon...
Moving Soon...
So I think I've finally had it with Florida. I've been talking about getting the hell out of this sauna for the last few months. My lease ends in February which kind of stinks because that's the worst time to move anywhere north of here. I'm thinking about just going home for 5 or 10 years or until most of my friends disappear due to family, wives, kids etc.

I've been here 4 years and really haven't gotten far in establishing much unfortunately. I got a job that's pretty comfy and get paid okay... but it just feels like a dead end. I came here because you know, the grass is greener and because I thought I would get used to this hell-ish heat.

Now that I've been spending the last few months just trying to find work remotely from 1,300 miles away (home is New Haven, CT area) I found out pretty quickly what a pain this is. When I really think about it... wtf am I going to do? Fly up there every time someone calls me for an interview?

Then there is the issue of moving itself. Coming here was easy I just filled the car with a bunch of my crap and hit the gas. Now there's my stuff and the girlfriend's stuff + 2 scooters and furniture. I can try to sell everything or I can move it all, I really am not sure what to do.
RE: Moving Soon...
Quote: I came here because you know, the grass is greener and because I thought I would get used to this hell-ish heat.

Come to Arizona..... it's a dry heat.

[Image: Arizona_Its_a_Dry_Heat.jpg]
So you're moving due to heat? I guess that is a reason by definition...
(September 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm)wolf39us Wrote: Then there is the issue of moving itself. Coming here was easy I just filled the car with a bunch of my crap and hit the gas. Now there's my stuff and the girlfriend's stuff + 2 scooters and furniture. I can try to sell everything or I can move it all, I really am not sure what to do.

Stuff the car.
Ship whatever doesn't fit! Don't you guys have DHL?
Moving companies don't operate cross-state?
(September 29, 2014 at 4:14 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: So you're moving due to heat? I guess that is a reason by definition...

It's so much more than heat! This place is a dead end for me, I miss my family & friends and the wages here are complete crap.

I don't much care for "the south" and I know this area isn't what people would consider "the south" either. What people consider the true south I could only visit but never live. Living in NC was a bit over the top for me actually lol.

And on the less serious side of things... why can't a guy get a decent pizza around here? Seriously! :-)

Collectively most of my complaints are probably about 1/4 of the reason. The rest is friends and family.
(September 29, 2014 at 4:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Moving companies don't operate cross-state?

Of course they do. There's just a point where it's not worth a few thousand dollars to move a few thousand dollars worth of stuff.
(September 29, 2014 at 4:52 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(September 29, 2014 at 4:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Moving companies don't operate cross-state?

Of course they do. There's just a point where it's not worth a few thousand dollars to move a few thousand dollars worth of stuff.

Oh, boy... what have you reminded me of?

Of course, the grand thing about heat is that you don't have to shovel it.

Boru

(September 29, 2014 at 7:14 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(September 29, 2014 at 4:52 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Of course they do. There's just a point where it's not worth a few thousand dollars to move a few thousand dollars worth of stuff.

I miss George. Guy was a genius of the first order.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 29, 2014 at 7:14 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(September 29, 2014 at 4:52 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Of course they do. There's just a point where it's not worth a few thousand dollars to move a few thousand dollars worth of stuff.

Hey, move your shit so I can put my stuff down.

It's amazing the amount of shit that one can accumulate over the years. My ex (and my kid) live in our 3000sqft house in the country - there's also a garage and 1500 sqft shop/storage building, all overflowing with crap. We split 6 years ago, I had literally the clothes on my back. I can barely fill my 900 sqft apartment to the point where it could almost be described as spartan. My place feels open and airy compared to a space more than three times larger.

It literally took half an afternoon to pack up and move literally everything I own when I moved earlier this month.

Pretty sure I'm happier this way. There's something to be said for not being ruled by our stuff.
(September 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: It literally took half an afternoon to pack up and move literally everything I own when I moved earlier this month.

Pretty sure I'm happier this way. There's something to be said for not being ruled by our stuff.

I'm with you. Single in a 1200 sq house I was very happy with my stuff, or lack there of. What I had, could be neatly stowed. Everything else was open space. Mostly it was stuff I actually needed.

We now live in 2500 sq plus a garage sized shop, a 1000 sq of basement and a garage. We have stuff out the ears. The books don't bother me, that's just thick wallpaper. Tools we use are no problem either. It's the memorabilia, stuff that might be useful later, gadgets we don't use, things saved for the kids' kids, and clothes we no longer fit in that bother me.

We are eying our over-sized backyard as a possible spot for a small house just for us when the girls leave us empty nestors. There wouldn't be much room for unnecessary stuff. And we could sell the house we are in now after we'd sold, given away, or thrown out most of the stuff.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Up and moving BrokenQuill92 9 1870 July 28, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  We might be moving to Germany! Aroura 110 15749 July 6, 2017 at 1:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Maybe too soon, but it must be stated. Foxaèr 1 577 June 2, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I will soon be gone. Whateverist 57 5836 July 21, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Moving Out! BrokenQuill92 31 5996 May 15, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Moving Illusions Gooders1002 1 962 December 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Moving Out Walking Void 4 1464 September 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  I'm Moving zappa1258 2 1080 October 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Moving on. Paul the Human 26 7050 October 15, 2010 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Our 'civilisation' is going to fall apart unless people wake up soon. Cludo 6 2354 January 7, 2009 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Jason Jarred