Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 ways Jesus read the bible.
3 ways Jesus read the bible.
I did find a rather interesting article here. I wanted to know you alls thoughts on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pete-enns/...lp00000592
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: 3 ways Jesus read the bible.
Most Christians who have read the bible many times have no idea what it really teaches. Such is the fate of 'sinful' Man.
That very well maybe, however it is interesting to note there could be slight universalist esc. leanings in the NT as well.

It's an idea that has merit, but makes religious faith and holy texts irrelevant. Even "getting jesus right" becomes irrelevant...why not "creatively interpret" him - as the author proposes he did with his scriptures? Meh, why do we even need a jesus to creatively interpret? I can weave you a web with little red riding hood (and I can......btw) - and I'll be doing the same damned thing.

The author takes it to the edge of the cliff, tells us that there is merit in jumping.....and then refuses to jump.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hahaha indeed, human imagination is a strange and wonderful thing. I find it really compelling since the Jesus the modern church might be preaching about just maybe be the opposite to what 90% of all Christians hold true.

(September 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: I did find a rather interesting article here. I wanted to know you alls thoughts on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pete-enns/...lp00000592

huffy post Wrote:1. Jesus didn't stick to what "the Bible says," but read it with a creative flare that had little if any connection to what the biblical writer actually meant to say.
Ah, no. This artical was written on the bias that Jesus was just some teacher/rabbi that christians took to. Remember Christians believe Jesus was literally God and as such had the authority to extend/complete the law/passages as He saw fit. 'Christians' do not have that authority, that is why we are told to not go beyond the authority of Scripture.

The blind guide @ huffy post Wrote:2. Jesus felt he could "pick and choose" what parts of the Old Testament were valid and which weren't.
Again no. Jesus is God and has the Authority to reach far and beyond the understanding of any specific teacher. Including Moses. The Pharisees saw this and it severly angered them. Jesus teaching with the Authority of Moses is mentioned several times, throughout the gospels, and is looked on by the religious leaders unfavoriably, as it usurped their authority.

The ill informed @ huffy post Wrote:3. Jesus read his Bible as a Jew, not an evangelical (or even a Christian).
ROFLOL Ahhh ha, no. Jesus was only ever once recorded reading from the Holy Scripture. Everything else He refernces was from memory. Remember writing material was extremely rare and vauable, meaning everyone did not have a 'bible.' In Judaism only the levitical priests were authorized to possess them. Jesus was from the tribe of Juda and not Levi. Meaning even if he could afford to have a 'bible' (which is a 4th century construct) He would not be allowed to carry it.

further more When one was selected to read from the Holy Scripture as a Jew then, Great effort and care is taken to make sure every syllable is pronounced and enunciated correctly. They are even required to read with a special stick (Yad) and place it beneath each word so as to not carlessly handle or misspeak God's word, (and to keep the unclean from touching God's word.) This whole paragraph is bunk. No one including Christ when reading the scripture took liberties as a Jew.
That's a pretty good idea...keeping the bible at least a sticks length away from one's self.....you ever considered doing that Drich?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Why would Jesus have to read the Bible ??

{think about it}
The biggest fucking problem with the article is that there was no fucking bible in the first century.

The OT - as shown by the Dead Sea Scrolls - had not been compiled into a single book and that process was not completed until c. 200 AD. And, of course, there was no NT as that collection of shit had not been written and could not be written while the purported godboy was still "alive."
(September 30, 2014 at 5:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The biggest fucking problem with the article is that there was no fucking bible in the first century.

The OT - as shown by the Dead Sea Scrolls - had not been compiled into a single book and that process was not completed until c. 200 AD. And, of course, there was no NT as that collection of shit had not been written and could not be written while the purported godboy was still "alive."

Echo.... Echo.. Echo..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44091 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  I just read the catholic cathechism Der/die AtheistIn 25 5362 February 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Have you read the good book? Angrboda 147 21893 March 23, 2017 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  For Those Who'd Like To Read It. Minimalist 7 1268 December 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Papers that every Christian should read! Jehanne 3 980 December 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Do right wing Christians read the bible? Won2blv 19 3664 October 16, 2016 at 5:59 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3607 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4872 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians, where does your allegiance lie? - Jesus Christ or Bible Forsaken 53 14190 February 15, 2015 at 6:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7440 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky