Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS pusses out on gay marriage.
SCOTUS pusses out on gay marriage.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../16547165/
RE: SCOTUS pusses out on gay marriage.
(October 6, 2014 at 9:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../16547165/

Not exactly. Note that by not hearing any of these appeals, they are letting stand rulings by federal judges that the bans are unconstitutional.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Doesn't this imply good news for marriage equality rather than that SCOTUS is pussing out?

It means that the rulings of the lower courts in Utah, Oklahoma, Virginia, Indiana and Wisconsin (upholding marriage equality and the constitutional right to gays and lesbians to marry) stand.

It would be fantastic if the US had a nation-wide ruling on marriage equality, but this is still a win in my book.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Oh bullshit. If the right of that court were not making it about their own personal beliefs and bigotry they could have ruled in favor of gays and put and end to it flat out. They are doing this to delay the inevitable.
And are you really saying that ALL the SCOTUS judges are marriage equality bigots? Because if that were the case they would have agreed to hear this case and would have overturned the lower court rulings.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I concur with inevitable.

I also note, anywhere it's been made legal, there hasn't been much of whatever mysterious problem or catastrophe the Christers think is going to happen.

Some of the bizarro legal gyrations that occurred over the last 20 years are finally being addressed. I'm looking forward to Nebraska's state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage falling in the dustbin of history. It is so POORLY written that a strict literalist judge could actually rule home ownership, by anyone, is illegal. Other illegalites include driving, going to a restaurant, drinking alcohol or water, going to school, shaving, watching TV, voting in an election, vacuuming, painting, church attendance, printing or reading a newspaper, going to work, shopping in a mall, earning a degree, seeing a doctor, listening to a radio, and on and on and on.
(October 6, 2014 at 9:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../16547165/

Sometimes judicious pussing exhibit boldly decisive results.

That sounds like a Pakistani cult
They didn't mean to make EVERYTHING except heterosexual marriage illegal, but the amendment was so poorly written, an activist judge could cite it that way if he wanted, and I was hoping one would just to highlight the virulent, reactionary homophobia behind the amendment campaign.
They refused to overturn the lower courts rulings against same sex marriage. That's a win in my book. If they wait and rule later, that's fine by me; public opinion has shifted in favor of same sex marriage very rapidly over the past decade or so. I'd say that a ruling ten years from now will be far more generous than it would be today.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another SCOTUS ruling that is also very scary. Brian37 19 1492 June 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
Thumbs Up Must see SCOTUS cases. onlinebiker 24 1218 October 12, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 469 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  The a holes did it, they seated Amy as SCOTUS Brian37 20 1006 October 27, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Split decision by SCOTUS on Bunkerboy's taxes. Brian37 15 696 July 10, 2020 at 5:41 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Founder of Conversion Therapy program comes out as gay Figbash 9 841 September 6, 2019 at 7:44 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  GOP now wants civility in scotus hearing? Brian37 15 1346 September 7, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  SCOTUS Nom made dangerous suggestion. Brian37 33 3776 July 11, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump Travel Ban A Theist 18 2671 June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  SCOTUS Tells Anti-Abortion Nuts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 294 25527 April 11, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13