Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality
Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality
1. atheist morality
why is it better than theist morality.

2. theist morality
why is it better than atheist morality.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality
I'm not sure either answer is cut and dry. If unspeakable things were committed in the name of either then wouldn't it have to be evaluated on a case to case basis? Furthermore, if someone claims to be an atheist or a theist and commits something that is universally despised do we blame that on whatever he/she claimed to be or do we blame the person?

Hitler is generally (although sometimes disputed to be) known to have been an atheist. Goebbels wrote in 1941 that Hitler "hates Christianity, because it has crippled all that is noble in humanity." Do we blame his actions on atheism because he didn't believe in God?

The crusades were carried out in God's name. Do we blame that on theism?
"My life has taught me that true spiritual insight can come about only through direct experience, the way a severe burn can be attained only by putting your hand in the fire. Faith is nothing more than a watered-down attempt to accept someone else's insight as your own." -Damien Echols
Moral conclusions of man versus moral conclusions of God.

I would bet there's more Atheist who support abortion than Christians.
(November 5, 2014 at 4:50 am)Nintentacle Wrote: Moral conclusions of man versus moral conclusions of God.

If that's the only issue, it's pretty slim.

On this board I have seen quite a bunch of christians, who aren't as concerned with the living. Once someone's born, they suddenly lose all interest.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 5, 2014 at 4:50 am)Nintentacle Wrote: Moral conclusions of man versus moral conclusions of God.

More like, moral conclusions of man shoehorned onto the supposed moral conclusions of a god which was imagined by the man to fulfill the criteria imposed/imagined by the man.

Try it for yourself. Is there something you disagree with? Does your 'god' also disagree with it?

What about things you agree with? Is it something your 'god' also agrees with?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 5, 2014 at 1:28 am)dyresand Wrote: 1. atheist morality

2. theist morality

Can you be more specific? There is no such things as "atheist morality". Or "theist morality" for that matter.
(November 5, 2014 at 7:16 am)genkaus Wrote:

2. theist morality

Can you be more specific? There is no such things as "atheist morality". Or "theist morality" for that matter.

ROFLOL

I'm not sure one can judge another better or worse, they just are.

One standard is unchanging, because God is unchanging. The other changes from culture to culture and from generation to generation to suit the wants and will of popular culture.

It only then becomes better or worse depending on which side of eternity you wish to stand on.
What "moral code" do atheists live by?
(November 5, 2014 at 1:28 am)dyresand Wrote: 2. theist morality

You may want to specify a certain group, just saying "theist" assumes all religions have the same moral standards.

You would be right about the average atheist versus the average Christian's stance on pro-life, versus pro-choice. Demonstrating scripturally that pro-life is Yehweh or Jesus's choice is harder. And more importantly demonstrating, which is actually right.

Yehweh's moral track record is about as good as Attila the Hun, and the NT version of god appears to think that sacrificing one person clears another of crime. It's morality that echos the choices of other peoples during the same time periods. You see, it's not really a choice between god's morality and human morality. It's a choice between bronze and iron age morality or modern morality. Both were created by humans.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 5, 2014 at 11:53 am)Jenny A Wrote: Yehweh's moral track record is about as good as Attila the Hun,
This needs some clarification.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1457 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10678 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22334 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14585 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5174 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6751 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6324 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8260 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life Panatheist 53 13285 April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Biblical Christianity 101, a study of the book of Romans Drich 633 89796 December 14, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: KevinM1