Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free speech....
Free speech....
So we all want free speech, but at what point does it become "Hate" speech and needs to be stopped? And who draws up the rules?
RE: Free speech....
A call to violence is where I draw the line. If you call Obama a nigger, we all have to accept it. But if you publicly announce that "it's time to hang some niggers", then we got a problem.
god is supposed to be imaginary
Personally I don't think any speech should be stopped, regardless of how hateful it is. We're all entitled to freedom of speech, but there's no guarantee that people should listen.

The thing with 'hate speech', is far too much time is often given to it, when it should just be ignored for the dumbassery that it is. Imposing laws on what people can and cannot say isn't too far from mind control IMO.
(November 8, 2014 at 5:27 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Personally I don't think any speech should be stopped, regardless of how hateful it is. We're all entitled to freedom of speech, but there's no guarantee that people should listen.

The thing with 'hate speech', is far too much time is often given to it, when it should just be ignored for the dumbassery that it is. Imposing laws on what people can and cannot say isn't too far from mind control IMO.

Is the manner in which something is said also important? for example calmly calling for someone's death as opposed to angrily criticising a religion?
(November 8, 2014 at 5:37 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Is the manner in which something is said also important? for example calmly calling for someone's death as opposed to angrily criticising a religion?

Important in what regard?
(November 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(November 8, 2014 at 5:37 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Is the manner in which something is said also important? for example calmly calling for someone's death as opposed to angrily criticising a religion?

Important in what regard?

Well actually, given your stance, I was wrong to ask that question on the end of one of your posts...

but do you really believe no speech is needing scrutiny?
(November 8, 2014 at 6:21 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Well actually, given your stance, I was wrong to ask that question on the end of one of your posts...

but do you really believe no speech is needing scrutiny?

When did I say that? I said I don't believe speech should be "stopped", as in made to be illegal or something similar. Doesn't mean people saying stupid or offensive shit shouldn't be scrutinised, just means they have the right to say what they like. Equally people have the right to respond. The problem I personally have is that right now (in my country at least) freedom of speech is being hampered for fear that groups or individuals might be offended by things that people say.

[Image: offence.jpg]
Ok, I agree with you on that, needed to iron out the subtleties...
I've always thought an insult is taken not given...

I wonder what others think?
If you call for the death of a specific person, I'd have a problem with it.

If you're just being a general cunt, then you should be allowed to advertise your stupidity, and suffer the public consequences.

(November 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: If you call for the death of a specific person, I'd have a problem with it.

If you're just being a general cunt, then you should be allowed to advertise your stupidity, and suffer the public consequences.

So you wouldn't call for the death of Bin Laden or hitler? And if you lived in Colorado, would you leave?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1009 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 224 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do You Suppose This Slimeball Remembers This Speech? Minimalist 1 351 August 22, 2018 at 7:35 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1586 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  On top of all the disturbing things in SOTU speech Brian37 0 375 February 1, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Trump was not wearing translator earpiece during Japan PM speech. The Industrial Atheist 4 1064 February 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A view on Trump's concession speech mihoda 34 3932 December 3, 2016 at 6:08 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Two wrong ideas on free speech Dystopia 0 815 July 22, 2015 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  The end of free speech and free protest in the UK Gooders1002 3 1417 January 31, 2014 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Just saw an old Clinton speech. Brian37 1 993 January 14, 2013 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious