Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana legalization: A Tale of Two Cities
Marijuana legalization: A Tale of Two Cities
In the last election, Oregon legalized marijuana for recreational use, following the lead of Colorado and the adjacent state of Washington, who voted in legal recreational weed in 2012.

The cities of Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington are immediately adjacent to one another - and it will be interesting to see how the differences in the laws as implemented will shape the market for legal weed.

Marijuana from legal retail outlets is currently offered for as high as $42 per *gram*, making legal weed nearly as expensive as illicit cocaine. Washington mandates a three-tier distribution structure, with a 25% tax at each tier, and prohibits personal growing. I can tell you that the black market in weed continues to thrive, as the street price for weed is a quarter or less of what the state-blessed stuff sells for.

Oregon's law implements a single excise tax-by-weight or -unit (for immature plants), which I understand to be $35 per ounce of buds, $10/oz for leaf, or $5 per immature plant.

The tax structure that Oregon has implemented vs Washington's I see having several effects: there's going to be a tough time for legal Washington retailers in localities adjacent to the Oregon border, and a fair amount of marijuana sold legally in Oregon is going to be (illegally) traveling north to Washington, and the tax revenue expected by the state of WA is going to not meet projections - as Oregon residents no longer have any reason to buy legal weed in Washington.

How will the states react? How should they?
RE: Marijuana legalization: A Tale of Two Cities
Monsanto should GMO up some KGB and flood the market with cheap weed only to monopolize the market and raise the price! They will then be able to sue anyone growing near them for having Monsanto strain suddenly appear on their farm!

I have nothing to add really; I'm just glad we finally stopped the prohibition here and I'm exited to see how it progresses as an example to other states. Hopefully we create a structure that will squash all need for a black market.

So, uh, when are we going to stop the prohibition on Mushrooms and LSD? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things that I don't understand. Add yours. Figbash 14 1253 May 4, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: no one
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1647 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you could live in a fairy tale Foxaèr 35 6010 November 11, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Not A Poll: Two People Are At A Picnic BrianSoddingBoru4 13 1715 January 10, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two people are drowning..... ErGingerbreadMandude 40 4824 January 10, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Can Two People Keep a Secret? Rhondazvous 41 4224 October 21, 2017 at 9:15 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Will You Tale Part in the Holiday Spirit or Will You be the Grinch Who Stole Xmas? Rhondazvous 12 2180 December 4, 2015 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  The Taboo of Number Two Catholic_Lady 397 26389 November 7, 2015 at 9:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  On what model throne do you do your two? Whateverist 31 4176 August 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Madness and Mayhem charity stream: Day Two abentwookie 0 618 May 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: abentwookie