Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the smallest theoretical building block of the universe?
What is the smallest theoretical building block of the universe?
From what I learned, the smallest thing we have an idea of are planks and string. And no, I'm not talking about wooden planks and thread. But, is there anything that we know of that is smaller than these things? Possibly anything to do with dark matter? I'm just curious about this.
"If you wish to bake an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" -Carl Sagan
RE: What is the smallest theoretical building block of the universe?
You mean Planck?

Planck is not one thing, as in "the Planck", unless you are talking about the physicist.

There are separate entities, presumed to be smallest and indivisible quantities of time, length, and energy, which are named in honor of Planck and called Planck time, Planck length and Planck mass. If these exist they would be building blocks of reality. But their theoretical size is too small to be probed by existing technology, so they are still theoretical. If they are too small to probe, then obviously we would have no idea if anything exists that is even smaller.

The String is a thing, but it is also only theoretical thing. Many people would fervently like to believe they exist, because if they do, then the universe would seem much more comprehensible. But string theory has been reticent in producing unique and practically falsifiable predictions, and as a result no one has managed to devise a test that can be performed with available or foreseeable technology that can definitively determine whether string exists or not.

There is no requirement that string must all be small. Some strings have been theorized to span the entire universe. So obviously it is possible things smaller than some string can exist if these strings can be shown to exist.
RE: What is the smallest theoretical building block of the universe?
(November 20, 2014 at 10:04 pm)Logical Adolecent Wrote: From what I learned, the smallest thing we have an idea of are planks and string. And no, I'm not talking about wooden planks and thread. But, is there anything that we know of that is smaller than these things? Possibly anything to do with dark matter? I'm just curious about this.

The following is a link which allows you examine how different things relate to each other in terms of scale. At one end is the smallest things and the other is the largest things. You have to watch a 30 second ad(probably about world of warcraft) and then the play button will appear. Its pretty cool and is updated all the time as new information becomes available.

http://www.scaleoftheuniverse.com/

Curiously, it turns out that in terms of scale, human existence is right in the middle(human egg to adult human).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16711 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5196 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1177 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 408 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2470 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1872 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6302 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Einstein is practical, but not theoretical? robinhood 20 2646 April 17, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Joods
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3915 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 6043 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet