Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this make me a polytheist?
Does this make me a polytheist?
I don't think anything in actual existence is worthy of worship other then the Creator but I do believe God shows partial differing visions of him to mystics, different "hues" of his light, and that there is perhaps infinite such visions, and all these visions show a glory that if you multiply by infinity, they would be worthy of worship and God appears in garbs of these visions.

God never appears in full form but in garbs and behind veils. He always appears behind veils and the veil is the very glory shown that doesn't show the rest.

I don't believe we get the same image of the divine, I believe every soul orients towards a veil, and that no soul can get the vision of ultimate oneness. I think that station is impossible to see.

I think this veil also consists part of our identity, and hence, we all have our own god, and god is worshiped indirectly through them.

I also think that some veils are superior to others, and some veils can have imperfections and be tainted as well.

I don't think it's possible to have absolute vision of the Divine. We can only get visions that are more close to the divine then others. Still, the way we are imperfectly created, the veil we take on, we tend to believe it's superior and will belittle veils that are not on the same page.

We think our veil is the whole of the glory and we have it, but really, it's just a veil.

Our god we worship is not the true God, it's a veil, a pointer, a descent of glory, a partial limited perspective. The true God cannot be worshiped but is rather unknown and unseen.
RE: Does this make me a polytheist?
In other words, theists create gods in their own image.

I agree.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I'm with you most of the way there mk.

Is a polytheist someone who has a plastic deity on their dashboard?

Thinking
If it is unknown and unseen, how do you know all this stuff about it?

How is any of this distinguishable from imagination or delusion?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Sounds all quite fuzzy (how can you know any of this is true rather than made up to suit your desires?), but it does not sound like polytheism to me. But maybe a Hindu can elaborate what conditions have to be met...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It's polytheism if he thinks that it's multiple deities rather than aspects of a single deity.
(November 30, 2014 at 5:35 am)fr0d0 Wrote: It's polytheism if he thinks that it's multiple deities rather than aspects of a single deity.

Very good. But what's the difference between the two possibilities? How do you delineate deities, what's the criterion for them to be separate entities?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I personally don't see more to deism than an argument from incredulity or emotional appeals; and pretty much the same ones that theists often use.

"I can't think of any way the universe could be in it's current state unless an intelligent being created it."
"I just feel there is some higher power that did all this."

Or the other form I have heard is just a tautology:

"Whatever caused the universe to happen, I call that god. Therefore, god created the universe."

As well as pointless, it is also flawed because it assumes the universe had a cause.

For example:

Call the smallest real number greater than zero x.

If x > 1 then squareroot(x) < x so x is not the smallest real number.
If x < 1 then x*x <x so x is not the smallest real number.
Therefore, x=1 as all other possibilities have been discounted.

I'm not trying to insult deists, but to analyze deism. If there is more to it than I am aware of, I'd be happy to hear it.

If you say god is the universe, or god is nature, or god could be nothing... you're really not saying anything at all.

So seeing as I think deities are in the imagination, you can have as many as you want.

Also, sorry to rip into deism so hard but:

Q) Are there any things that could have always existed, or could come into existence without an agency in control?

A) Yes: How do you know the universe/metaverse isn't one of them?
A) No: So god didn't always exist, and it had a creator. So did the creator's creator. So did the creator's creator's creator. So did...

To borrow again from the great Dillahunty; any attempt to use a diety is answering one mystery with another bigger mystery.

Claim: the universe looks designed
Rebuttal: what does a non-designed universe look like to compare?

Is deism a refusal to let go of some external meaning to life?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well I was thinking it would be like soft polytheism where deities are manifestations of the same God but not separate entities.
You should talk to trinitarian christians. They have a lot of bullshit on how to make several entities just one. I can not help you as my gods come in pairs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Does Sincrety Make Everything Okay? Rhondazvous 16 3962 September 27, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Does religion make armies stronger? Psychonaut 59 11523 August 7, 2015 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Holy Trinity Does Make Sense. paulpablo 0 1309 November 20, 2014 at 7:10 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  If science proves we were seeded by Annuanki? Does that make them our gods? greekGod 32 8185 August 21, 2014 at 5:01 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? Eel_LahjicK 63 11467 August 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
Rainbow Prayer/Meditation DOES make the world a better place TheouLive 19 6895 September 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Does Religion make you nice? Bull Poopie 75 21390 September 8, 2010 at 3:13 am
Last Post: leo-rcc