Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End of the World
The End of the World
If you were or are religious what were you taught, if anything, about the end of the world?

As a very little child, I had been taught that Jesus was a wonderful, kind person who loved everyone and helped the lame to walk. He held children on his lap and everything was flowers and birds singing.

When I was around eight, my family attended a fire and brimstone Baptist church. The pastor enthusiastically informed us all that when Christ came back there would be such a terrible war that the blood of the nonbelievers would come up to the horse's bridle. After the service, my mother waved away my alarm by assuring me that only bad people would die, thus justifing the type of us versus them mentality that I would find repeated over and over again in religion.

When I got older, I was told that there would be an antiChrist who would bring peace to the world but want to be worshiped. Anyone that accepted his mark-which would be used to buy food- would go to hell. Anyone who didn't accept his mark would go to heaven but would be starved and tortured, maybe their children would be starved and tortured.

Some Christians have different beliefs about the end times but I always found their glee over the end of the world troubling. Remember most of these people believed that a large portion of the world would in up in hell because they trusted someone who appeared good and got a mark that was required to feed their children.

So what were you all taught about the end of the world? If you grew up in a nonChristian house, have you heard religious people talk about Jesus' return?
RE: The End of the World
The JWs teach that at the battle of Armageddon, heavenly forces led by Jesus will war against the wicked. And by that, they mean that every non-JW will be turned into a bloody smear and the only casualties on god's side will be bruised knuckles. Those JWs who are not part of the 144,000 who got invited to heaven get to spend the next 1,000 years cleaning up the mess (hey, slaughtering billions of people and wrecking their infrastructure is hard work! You expect them to clean it up, too?), then Satan and his demonic minions (who have been locked up for those 1,000 years) will be let loose to see how many of the remaining people can be tempted into rejecting god. Once they sort that out, the demons and the people who succumbed to temptation get poofed out of existence, and then THA PARTAY IS ON!!!

...assuming that after 1,000 years of cleanup duty and dodging demons, anyone is in the mood to do anything except grab a 40 and crash on the nearest patch of rubble.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Ever notice how every group of shitheads predicts that they will be on the winning side?
Yeah. Sometimes it seems as if the guy who started religion was Walter Mitty.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Religion 101; we're right, everybody else is fucked
(December 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm)Tonus Wrote: The JWs teach that at the battle of Armageddon, heavenly forces led by Jesus will war against the wicked. And by that, they mean that every non-JW will be turned into a bloody smear and the only casualties on god's side will be bruised knuckles. Those JWs who are not part of the 144,000 who got invited to heaven get to spend the next 1,000 years cleaning up the mess (hey, slaughtering billions of people and wrecking their infrastructure is hard work! You expect them to clean it up, too?), then Satan and his demonic minions (who have been locked up for those 1,000 years) will be let loose to see how many of the remaining people can be tempted into rejecting god. Once they sort that out, the demons and the people who succumbed to temptation get poofed out of existence, and then THA PARTAY IS ON!!!

...assuming that after 1,000 years of cleanup duty and dodging demons, anyone is in the mood to do anything except grab a 40 and crash on the nearest patch of rubble.

It is surprising, isn't it, that normal people get so happy about the possible deaths of so many people.

A pastor whose church my husband and I attended, taught that there would be a new earth where Jesus would be a literal king. The earth would last a thousand years...then I think Satan was supposed to get back the earth? Honestly, I think that I tuned him out because I don't remember the particulars. There was something about a thousand year reign but I can't remember.
Reich, it was a thousand year reich, not reign.
if you think about it just really think about it more deeply if they were right about religion hell has bigger numbers than heaven does.
no to mention all those German soldiers from wwii, barbarians and more or less people with combat experience they have the clear advantage over heaven.
only reason god would win magic because he cheats. Will the end of the world come? yes either a we blow each other up b a terrorist group creates a incurable virus
d nature fucks us over e religious nutcases get a hold of nuclear weapons e the sun it will fry us to a crisp f we are to ignorant to leave the fucking planet before its too late.
there is more i can fill out the whole damn alphabet.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I was always taught that the world would end shortly after someone dropped a house on Margaret Thatcher's sister, and she would lose control and send the flying monkeys to kill us all.

And our little dog, too.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:It is surprising, isn't it, that normal people get so happy about the possible deaths of so many people.

I don't know why you think the religious are 'normal.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is the Beginning of the End Serafino 23 1710 November 25, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 519 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Lightbulb the end is nigh 2!!! Drich 113 8626 October 1, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4742 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Sad My parents have gone off the deep end Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 6049 March 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  The Dangers of End time Prophecy Rhondazvous 83 15596 January 23, 2017 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  End of Times and career mcolafson 67 13596 October 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Wink The Third Eagle of the Apocalypse says...the end is nigh! Aegon 12 5264 January 18, 2016 at 7:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How will you spend your last four days on earth? Rapture and end days, oh my! Whateverist 40 7163 September 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 34810 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous