Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face
I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face
I went to work yesterday at a nursing home and I overheard one of my coworkers telling a resident about how she is a believer in her Lord Jesus Christ. I could have hit her.
Like, why the fuck would you bring that up, especially to an elderly person in a nursing home who can barely eat their jello? Like, shut your damn mouth.

And THEN, this is what REALLY pissed me off, she started talking about her gay uncle saying, "I definitely don't agree with his lifestyle, but I love him anyway."

To avoid making a scene, I left it alone and didn't say anything.

Do you think I made the right decision? And if not, what could I have done or said?
RE: I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face
Health care workers, as far as I'm concerned, can discuss their religious beliefs.

When they start pushing them they cross the line and need to be taken to task about it.
Dying to live, living to die.
Does your employer have rules about that sort of thing?

I doubt that they would appreciate making a ruckus in front of the patients but if there is a code of conduct about avoiding inflammatory subjects a word to a supervisor is definitely called for.
You made the right decision about leaving the situation alone, but I don't think you ought to let people control your emotions with something as silly as religious bull crap. Easier said than done, I know.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I think you've done the right thing... The other person might have liked what she was saying, and it wasn't your business anyway. Had she come up to you talking about her Jesus freakness, it would have been a completely different thing though.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Depends on what kind of person the nurse was talking to.

To give a personal example. My mother was christian. When she was on her deathbed, I sent a priest to her to give her the last rites. Not because I'm a believer, but because I thought, that's what my mother would have wanted and maybe it gave her some comfort.

So if this elderly person was a christian, I see nothing wrong with the nurse talking to her like that. She should have left out the gay part, that's for sure. But otherwise it's entirely dependent on the situation and the people involved.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You should of taken her outside and executed her immediately.

No, just kidding. You made the right call. I expect to be able to appropriately mention that I am an Atheist in public situations and thus would grant the right to others.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I think when it's a private conversation you just have to let it slide. You have the satisfaction of knowing you are the better person. There are enough good examples of great gay people around that you know you don't have to internalize their crap any more like a generation ago. Be one of those great examples and people will see that.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(December 8, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Beccs Wrote: Health care workers, as far as I'm concerned, can discuss their religious beliefs.

When they start pushing them they cross the line and need to be taken to task about it.
I had an issue with a physician recently who I felt crossed the line. It could be an overreaction on my part.

About a month and a half ago, my aunt was found non-responsive in her home. Hours later after she was rushed to the hospital by ambulance, all of us family members sat around waiting for the news of what had happened to her. A doctor came to speak to us, and he told us that she had no brain activity, she was not breathing on her own, and her blood pressure was extremely low. He seemed very thoughtful and considerate but direct and honest, which I appreciated. He basically said that it was only a matter of time. He conveyed his sympathies and said that he would be back later to update us and let us know when we could go back to the Intensive Care Unit to see her. Naturally, the family was devastated by the news.

Now, here's where the story takes a turn for the absurd. Another doctor comes by later. He tells the family members (not me because I had stepped out...fortunately) that "the lord makes miracles happen" and that they should "keep on praying". I understand that he was only trying to comfort them, but it pissed me off when I found out about it later. This is a man who presumably went to medical school and learned about physiology, biology, and sudden catastrophic illnesses. He knew her chances were nil given her condition, but he rattled that line of bullshit off on an already emotionally wrecked family and gave them false hope that a "miracle" might happen, prolonging an already unbearable situation. It made my blood boil.

As expected, she died the following day.

Would you say that crossed the line or is it an overreaction on my part?

EDIT: @OP, I forgot to say I think you did the right thing. I think the scene that would have occurred had you said something would have been worse than the woman and her religious comments. If she was pushing her dogma on someone though by saying something like "You need to accept Jesus before you die or you'll go to hell" or something similar, you would be well in your bounds to speak up or at least inform a supervisor.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
I think you did the right thing, unless you're a supervisor tasked with enforcing a ruleset which forbids such conversations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4166 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  My girlfriend got discriminated by some of her family MJ the Skeptical 27 4925 June 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate Manowar 30 6309 April 20, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  The Next Time Someone Throws That STOOPID Pascal's Wager In Your Face... BrianSoddingBoru4 2 1482 October 7, 2013 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs ASEANAtheist 2 2252 October 25, 2012 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Kane
  "Prominent atheist blogger" turned catholic -- ever heard of her? Taqiyya Mockingbird 22 10933 July 5, 2012 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What it means to be an atheist and face the ignoramuses little_monkey 20 5518 December 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas