Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate
Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate
http://www.newser.com/story/185580/athei...ss_topnews

The article says "Atheists are often treated like second-class citizens"
No doubt about that!

manowar
RE: Atheist Sues After NJ Rejects Her License Plate
Saw this on patheos. No doubt it's just some crotchety old lady in the plate approvals office making those decisions. Either that or the guy who runs the plate shop at the state pen...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Suppose David Duke put a license plate on his car that read:

NGGR H8R

Would his car get torched? While you might own the car you don't own the plate. The state realizes there are assholes in the world and doesn't want to have its property used to incite those assholes towards violence.

If this atheist really wants to express her atheism....she can purchase a bumper sticker so her ability to speak is not impinged.

In my opinion the state should either allow all speech on its plates and accept the consequences thereof, or not allow its plates to be used for speech at all. Playing a guessing game of what speech is okay and what isn't is just ripe for abuse.
If I have to look at the words "in God we trust" on money I should at least be able to put Atheist on a license plate.
It might seem like a silly or small issue but when it comes to free speech and especially in terms of being able to express my Atheism in public, I believe firmly in a give no ground approach. Not an ounce.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(April 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm)Heywood Wrote: Suppose David Duke put a license plate on his car that read:

NGGR H8R

Would his car get torched? While you might own the car you don't own the plate. The state realizes there are assholes in the world and doesn't want to have its property used to incite those assholes towards violence.

If this atheist really wants to express her atheism....she can purchase a bumper sticker so her ability to speak is not impinged.

In my opinion the state should either allow all speech on its plates and accept the consequences thereof, or not allow its plates to be used for speech at all. Playing a guessing game of what speech is okay and what isn't is just ripe for abuse.
You clearly missed the point of the lawsuit, she is suing because the state would allow a religious plate(baptist) but not an atheist plate.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm)Heywood Wrote: Suppose David Duke put a license plate on his car that read:

NGGR H8R

But you can put BAPTIST
I think that's the reason she's upset.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Heywood do you think "atheist" is a bad word?
(April 19, 2014 at 7:47 pm)Losty Wrote: But you can put BAPTIST

I understand why she is upset, but I also understand why the state would want to discriminate.

I could see the state banning the plate, "WHTEPWR" and allowing "BLCKPWR". The first is more likely to incite violence than the second.

(April 19, 2014 at 8:20 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Heywood do you think "atheist" is a bad word?

No.
(April 19, 2014 at 9:34 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(April 19, 2014 at 7:47 pm)Losty Wrote: But you can put BAPTIST

I understand why she is upset, but I also understand why the state would want to discriminate.

I could see the state banning the plate, "WHTEPWR" and allowing "BLCKPWR". The first is more likely to incite violence than the second.

(April 19, 2014 at 8:20 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Heywood do you think "atheist" is a bad word?

No.

Hmm...I personally don't care why the state would want to discriminate. I just don't think they state should be allowed to discriminate.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1566 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1422 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 3943 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Backlash after celebrities sing "Imagine" GGG 21 1930 June 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4713 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Explaining What Happens After Death ArtVandelay 36 6582 April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  After An Atheist Dies Der/die AtheistIn 85 27603 July 31, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Dropship
  Observation after embracing atheism for a year thool 18 2969 July 16, 2016 at 12:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Happiness level after embracing atheism thool 116 9717 February 13, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face lezbehonest 48 7340 January 7, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: psychoslice