Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't let them off the Hook.
Don't let them off the Hook.
It is about fucking time. Guns are not candy and should not be pumped out like candy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/newtown-fami...-gunmaker/
RE: Don't let them off the Hook.
That's gonna get bounced.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:The families are enlisting some big name legal talent, including Michael Koskoff, who represented the Jackson family in their suit against the promoter of Michael Jackson's last tour and Karen Hinton, a former aide to President Clinton.
Considering how difficult those suits are to win, my guess is that the lawyers aren't working on a contingency basis.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Still the crap the makers and the NRA do is the same bullshit tactic in defending a "no rules" market was the same bullshit tactic tobacco companies used to pull. The makers need to be sent a message that they are not selling toys and they need to be held responsible for their marketing.
(December 15, 2014 at 8:42 am)Brian37 Wrote: Still the crap the makers and the NRA do is the same bullshit tactic in defending a "no rules" market was the same bullshit tactic tobacco companies used to pull. The makers need to be sent a message that they are not selling toys and they need to be held responsible for their marketing.

I'd like to see examples of the marketing you're referring to. I'm not in the know, but immediately found this:
Quote:The majority of gun ads (91%) emphasize the things that make one gun different from the next. For example, they discuss the quality of the gun (61%), its accuracy (38%) and reliability (35%), and its innovative features (27%) and uniqueness (21%).
http://ivoter.com/why-are-gun-manufactur...-strategy/

Hardly what I would consider irresponsible marketing regardless of one's thoughts on the product being marketed. The article also indicated what made up the rest of the marketing:
Quote:...only a small minority of gun ads emphasized self-protection (3%) or a Western cowboy lifestyle (5%)
Still nothing inherently wrong here.

I don't think you're going to find gun manufacturers pushing messages of irresponsible gun use or peddling them as toys.
Guns are bad. Get rid of them.

I've never seen someone brandish a real gun in my whole life in England. And I can think of no situation where I thought, "Man I wish everyone here had a gun!"

Plenty of times I've been very thankful no one had a gun.

It may be too late for USA, they are too insidious now.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 15, 2014 at 8:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: It is about fucking time. Guns are not candy and should not be pumped out like candy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/newtown-fami...-gunmaker/

The lawsuit doesn't have a chance; it has no legal leg to stand on.

(December 15, 2014 at 8:42 am)Brian37 Wrote: Still the crap the makers and the NRA do is the same bullshit tactic in defending a "no rules" market was the same bullshit tactic tobacco companies used to pull. The makers need to be sent a message that they are not selling toys and they need to be held responsible for their marketing.

The ones they should be suing are the health care providers who failed to deal with Adam Lanza's mental illness.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
I agree guns don't do the killing on their own, they are a tool. But they are a damn good tool. It's a lot harder to take out a group of people before you are stopped with a knife than a gun.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 15, 2014 at 9:27 am)Chas Wrote: The lawsuit doesn't have a chance; it has no legal leg to stand on.
Unfortunately, this.
Quote:The ones they should be suing are the health care providers who failed to deal with Adam Lanza's mental illness.
True, along with the state legislators who made the rules that someone with an identified psychological disorder could legally own firearms.
Sum ergo sum
I think that in the Newtown case, the young man did not own the firearms; his mother did. Whether she is involved in the suit, I don't know.

That's not to say that the law makes it possible or not for a person diagnosed with a mental or emotional disorder to legally purchase a firearm, as I don't know enough about it. And in some cases (Colin Ferguson comes to mind) there is no way to know that a person making a legal gun purchase (and clearing the federally-mandated waiting period) is planning to use it to go on a shooting spree. I think that there may have been an attempt at suing a firearms manufacturer in that case as well, but am not sure.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jury Awards Sandy Hook Families Nearly $1 Billion BrianSoddingBoru4 19 1846 October 14, 2022 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them onlinebiker 35 1880 April 25, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What should we do about "them"? Angrboda 30 1448 January 30, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Take them to Detroit,,,,,, Or prison... Brian37 70 3225 October 15, 2020 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Health care people and first responders - let us know how you are. arewethereyet 22 1877 April 26, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  No peace in the Middle East, Netanyahu forced off stage EgoDeath 0 343 September 11, 2019 at 4:03 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Saudi Arabia prohibits shorts for men and put a fine on wearing them ! WinterHold 34 4043 June 18, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Let The Wookiee Rest In Peace.... Brian37 9 810 May 4, 2019 at 1:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  FFRF is pissing off Ham and the Christians..... again. brewer 157 13233 January 24, 2019 at 1:07 am
  Too stupid to let loose Mr.Obvious 5 891 October 27, 2018 at 5:40 am