Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who become Christians
Atheists who become Christians
I was reading some articles about athests who became Christians yesterday. I can't understand how an atheist who has researched the arguments is able to believe in Christianity. I can understand why some athiests might want to believe in Christianity (e.g. falling in love with a Christian, psychological needs, etc.), but I can't understand how they accomplish this feat.

I considered myself an atheist for 20 years, and I fell back into Christianity a few years ago, but I had not bothered to educate myself about why Christianity cannot be true - regardless of voices in our heads, apparent miracles, etc. Now that I have learned about the sausage factory that produced Judaism and Christianity over the past 3000 years, I cannot imagine believing in Christianity ever again.

There is a difference between an atheist accepting that some supernatural power might exist and accepting that this power revealed itself in Judaism and Christianity. I can understand how an atheist can convert to some other religion such as Buddhism, but Christianity...?

Are there intellectually honest arguments that provide a fig leaf for these atheists to convert?
RE: Atheists who become Christians
Did you read it in print or do you have a link?

My best guess would be some new age types or otherwise spiritual persons turning back to the fold. Personally I can't imagine doing it, since it's so utterly baseless even compared to other religions.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Usually when I hear about an adult conversion, it's when they were on drugs or otherwise fell on really hard times. Basically when they're most vulnerable. I suppose it is possible that someone who did have a good life would still convert voluntarily, assuming they're not just saying they used to be atheists and were always religious. I'm just not sure why it would happen, unless the person just didn't really care about religion beforehand. Like they might go from being an atheist to being a very liberal religious person.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I expect that they were 'professed' atheists and did not really accept the reality that there is no god. More than likely they fell back on Pascal;s wager.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 21, 2014 at 10:36 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: I can't understand how an atheist who has researched the arguments is able to believe in Christianity.

I think you've at least partly answered your question. We often say about fundamentalists that it may not be possible to reason someone out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into in the first place. The same is probably true in reverse - I'm sure there are atheists who haven't thought deeply about the issue and simply were atheist by default because of their upbringing, or simply contrarian. I can imagine how someone like that would become theist.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I converted from atheism
(December 21, 2014 at 10:41 am)abaris Wrote: Did you read it in print or do you have a link?

My best guess would be some new age types or otherwise spiritual persons turning back to the fold. Personally I can't imagine doing it, since it's so utterly baseless even compared to other religions.

The article I read yesterday was this one from Christianity Today:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013...lemma.html

I also found this wikipedia article listing famous atheists who converted to Christianity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_con..._nontheism

There is also Holly Ordway who I heard about through somebody on a christian forum:
http://www.hieropraxis.com/

Whenever I read these types of accounts, it seems there is some information missing that would explain why and how these atheists started believing Christianity. I wonder if they are hiding this information, because they know it would not hold-up to scrutiny?
(December 21, 2014 at 11:11 am)Drich Wrote: I converted from atheism

How and why?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(December 21, 2014 at 11:11 am)Drich Wrote: I converted from atheism

You did? No emotional troubles, brow beating by the community, or indoctrinatation from parents? You were an adult atheist living a pretty good life, and decided religion was a good idea?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 21, 2014 at 10:55 am)Alex K Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 10:36 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: I can't understand how an atheist who has researched the arguments is able to believe in Christianity.

I think you've at least partly answered your question. We often say about fundamentalists that it may not be possible to reason someone out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into in the first place. The same is probably true in reverse - I'm sure there are atheists who haven't thought deeply about the issue and simply were atheist by default because of their upbringing, or simply contrarian. I can imagine how someone like that would become theist.

One of my theories is that these atheists were knowledgable about the argument for and against deism (and other minimal forms of theism). They convinced themselves that deism is possible and then they overlooked the fact that Christianity is different than deism?

I don't understand how anybody can have read the history and then convert to Christianity.

I can understand how a person who was indoctrinated into Christianity might know the history and still not be able to give up their beliefs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7585 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3857 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My religious teacher will become a father Der/die AtheistIn 48 9484 January 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3313 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How to become a Televangelist? mcolafson 20 6960 September 27, 2016 at 5:40 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 30509 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Where do Christians get this idea that atheists defend Islam GoHalos1993 39 11142 December 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why atheists make fun of you christians dyresand 10 5480 September 30, 2015 at 9:52 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 50551 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians dyresand 13 4743 July 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus