Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians
A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians
Let's say its the it's close to being the end times, would you either A get on the first space ship off the planet or B stay.

Sure as fuck i am choosing A they can have the planet.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians
Well, if the end times involve spending eternity with the God of the bible as the best case scenario, then I'll get on the space ship.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 12, 2015 at 3:42 am)dyresand Wrote: Let's say its the it's close to being the end times, would you either A get on the first space ship off the planet or B stay.

Sure as fuck i am choosing A they can have the planet.

So where will you go and what would you do if you got there?  We are life forms specifically adapted to this planet.  We wouldn't survive on another one.

BTW, what's your version of the end times?
That is a funny concept...

It's like that "Mental As Anything" song "If you leave me, can I come too?"
I dare say, the reason for the end times is to end the sinful inhabitants, not the endangered yellow bellied parrot!
Either God knows where you're going, (he DID create all the other planets? yes, no?), and he's gonna fuck you from afar, or he really IS that stupid!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 12, 2015 at 4:28 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: We are life forms specifically adapted to this planet.  We wouldn't survive on another one.

Actually, we're life forms specifically adapted to the African Savannah, but we manage to survive in all kinds of extreme climates reasonably well. All we'd need to find is a planet somewhat similar to Earth's with a similar atmosphere and make-up. I don't think that's too far fetched considering we've already found thousands of planets that exist in the habitable zone of other stars, somewhere out there are planets that are going to be pretty damn similar to our own I bet.
(July 12, 2015 at 3:42 am)dyresand Wrote: its the it's close to being the end times
Who taught you English? That sentence is absolutely senseless.
As for the rest I'll take the space ship. I wouldn't miss the chance to travel through space.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
I'd stay.  The odds of living through the destruction of a planet and staying alive on a spaceship long enough to reach a second planet are roughly equal:  nil.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've looked into some of the concepts worked up by Dyson on the big Orion interstellar craft. Of several difficulties, paying for it seems to be the deal killer, not technical impossibility.

If EM drive turns out to be feasible (I am skeptical so far) we might want to dust off some of the late 50s/60s Orion design studies.

Anyone want to vacation on Enceladus ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 12, 2015 at 1:49 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I've looked into some of the concepts worked up by Dyson on the big Orion interstellar craft.  Of several difficulties, paying for it seems to be the deal killer, not technical impossibility.

If EM drive turns out to be feasible (I am skeptical so far) we might want to dust off some of the late 50s/60s Orion design studies.  

Anyone want to vacation on Enceladus ??

The EM drive is possible but with NASA's cut backs its not going to get built anytime soon. The better option of getting it built is well... either a third party or 
well invest your own time into designing and developing it. Though nice people in black cars will surly show up when you finished making it and take it away.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Some problems I see with moving our entire species (or even a sizable portion of it) off planet:

1.  Where to go:  The only fit piece of real estate for human beings in this vicinity happens to be the one we're standing on (forget terraforming, it isn't going to happen) and extra-solar planets are impossibly far away.

2.  How to get there:  Leaving aside for now the problem of getting all the way to an Earth-like planet, it would take about 40 billion gigajoules of energy just to get us out of Earth's gravity well (that's just for the people).  This is, very roughly, the equivalent of the world's remaining oil reserves (and no, I'm not proposing oil-fired rocket ships).  Source:  The kid across the street who's taking his physics degree.

3.  How to pay for it:  Even if only half the people on Earth wanted to leave, that's going to be around 5 billion (the population has a nasty habit of growing).  Let's be generous and assume you could cram 10 000 people into a single ship.  You're going to need a half million space ships.  Figuring the one of the US space shuttles (Endeavour) cost $1.7 billion US dollars to build, we can extrapolate - not adjusting for inflation - that one of our planet evacuating ships could easily cost around two and a half trillion.  And you'd need to build and fuel a half million of them.

Nope.  Everyone's staying, like it or not.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7590 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3858 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 3285 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 6929 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3313 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A single question for Christians Foxaèr 30 6315 October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5666 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2747 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  A Loaded Question for Christians chimp3 33 4877 December 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Question to Christians purplepurpose 72 8433 July 7, 2016 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Foxaèr