Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone find victim blaming the Texas artists disgusting?
Does anyone find victim blaming the Texas artists disgusting?
This is in regards to the ''Draw a Muhammad Day''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNydyGM3fBo

A lot of these comments were upvoted on the Huff-Post article. 

And I think this is scary; the idea of Muslims killing people over a cartoon is now becoming normalized. The prospect that Muslims are a minority of people who can't control themselves when someone offends their religion is on the rise.

I think that blaming the people who decided to draw Muhammad is ridiculous - freedom of expression is a basic civil right in the west; and yet people are OK with having that infringed upon.

Holy fuck, look at one of the comments with 104 upvotes; ''I hope both take each other out'' --- as if being an Anti-Theist in Texas trying to draw Muslims somehow makes you right-wing?! The comment is literally saying that he wished the Muslims would have succeeded.
RE: Does anyone find victim blaming the Texas artists disgusting?
Here is the article in question. Some of these upvoted comments are sickening.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/03...01314.html

Anyway, do Islamic apologists realize that ''punching down'' is nonsense? If Islam cannot be criticized where Muslims are a minority, then were do we criticize Islam? The countries where they're the majority?. Because I can't see that working out well.
(June 8, 2015 at 7:21 am)TheMessiah Wrote: Here is the article in question. Some of these upvoted comments are sickening.

Anyway, do Islamic apologists realize that ''punching down'' is nonsense? If Islam cannot be criticized where Muslims are a minority, then were do we criticize Islam? The countries where they're the majority?. Because I can't see that working out well.

I skimmed the article. The writer seems to be just reporting what happened so I don't understand the problem with upvoting it.  For some people liking an article just means that it is interesting not that they like the subject matter. 

No subject should be safe from satire. If someone doesn't like the satire they can protest or speak out against it but there is no justification for physically attacking  anyone over a drawing. 
(June 8, 2015 at 7:39 am)Nope Wrote:
(June 8, 2015 at 7:21 am)TheMessiah Wrote: Here is the article in question. Some of these upvoted comments are sickening.

I skimmed the article. The writer seems to be just reporting what happened so I don't understand the problem with upvoting it.  For some people liking an article just means that it is interesting not that they like the subject matter. 

No subject should be safe from satire. If someone doesn't like the satire they can protest or speak out against it but there is no justification for physically attacking the anyone over a drawing. 

Sorry, I need to clarify. Not the article, the comments section for the article are victim-blaming. Look at some of them upvoted comments.
It's funny someone who harasses and trivializes rape victims is now complaining about victim blaming ROFLOL

Honestly I think any victim blaming is bad regardless of what people did before. My stepdad always says that Charlie Hebdo should have seen it coming - He doesn't grasp that people were killed over fucking cartoons (curiously he's an atheist).
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 8, 2015 at 7:41 am)Dystopia Wrote: It's funny someone who harasses and trivializes rape victims is now complaining about victim blaming ROFLOL

Honestly I think any victim blaming is bad regardless of what people did before. My stepdad always says that Charlie Hebdo should have seen it coming - He doesn't grasp that people were killed over fucking cartoons (curiously he's an atheist).

Do not put words in my mouth.

I did not ''trivialize'' rape victims nor did I ''harass'' them - where the hell did you get that?; I mocked the concept of rape culture, that is NOT ''trivializing rape victims''.

Rape culture is a concept which by literal definition would posit a culture that advocates and normalizes rape, I said this is not true of the west.
(June 8, 2015 at 7:41 am)Dystopia Wrote: It's funny someone who harasses and trivializes rape victims is now complaining about victim blaming ROFLOL

Personally I think they should have seen it coming as well - but only because we live in a fucked up world that allows lunatics to roam the streets and administer their own brand of twisted justice/vengeance.
Which is why we need to keep doing it - they'll eventually realise they can't murder all of us for insulting their precious, precious "prophet".
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
TheMessiah, are you that cocky? Do you honestly think I was talking to you? Of course not, I was referring to TheAmazingAtheist - But if you made the case to think the insult was directed at you, it's not my problem. Do you think someone as polite as me would come to an internet board and accuse another member of trivializing rape without proper reason? Thinking
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 8, 2015 at 8:11 am)Dystopia Wrote: TheMessiah, are you that cocky? Do you honestly think I was talking to you? Of course not, I was referring to TheAmazingAtheist - But if you made the case to think the insult was directed at you, it's not my problem. Do you think someone as polite as me would come to an internet board and accuse another member of trivializing rape without proper reason? Thinking

OK, that was my mistake. Apologies.
Lets put this whole situation in perspective.

Victim blaming is not what we should be talking about.  What we need to talk about is the gun culture of Texas.  It is a state that encourages all people to own a gun and exercise their 2nd amendment rights.  The way I see it, right or wrong this is the side affect of an unchecked gun culture like you see in Texas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 959 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I find this funny dyresand 0 865 June 22, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Disgusting Example of Indoctrination Socratic Meth Head 41 6479 April 10, 2016 at 8:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 3915 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods
  Which atheists do you find the most annoying? Whateverist 126 18195 November 18, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  I Find This Odd. Do You? Rhondazvous 6 1560 June 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Does anyone else miss Christopher Hitchens? TheMessiah 13 4269 March 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: QuarkDriven
  Does anyone else see this dyresand 26 9338 January 21, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do I find mysticism so appealing? JaceDeanLove 22 6639 December 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  anybody else find this really poignant? fojo 0 921 November 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: fojo