Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Year Out of Mormonism
1 Year Out of Mormonism
(TL ; DR -----scroll down.)

Hey Everyone,

I know I haven't posted here in a long while but I just wanted to leave a sincere sentiment of graciousness to all those who had assisted me in posts and private messages. I truly just want to thank everyone who had reached out and gave me a hand of reassurance this past year.

Tomorrow will be my one year anniversary in leaving Mormonism. One year tomorrow I had attended church for the last time. I left those doors and never came back. I wrote my resignation letter to the church and rid my life of much unwanted superstition and guilt.

Yes, in fact this past year had been a year of trial and failure. Hurt and loss. Sickness and poor mental health. But after hospitals, therapy programs, loss of job, loss of friendship, near homelessness, loss of identity, and almost losing my life, my family, and my wife...I may stand with confidence and proclaim "I'm still kicking."

Now I am no longer under intensive medical care, my marriage is healing, and I am living with my mormon family who are quite amazing...though they are Mormon. A few more thoughts and question would definitely set my father on the clear road of agnosticism but at least he loves to use the sentence "You know what? I don't even know if the bible is true." That in itself is something to be happy about. My sister seems like she will soon leave the church. It pains me, though. One of two reasons: 1) I hope she is not leaving out of spite of my parents or because her big brother (me) left and 2) it really kills my mother to see me in disbelief and it hurts her to see another one of her children leave the ideological flock. But as long as she is doing it for the right reasons and to be happy then I am happy. Luckily, she is not as combative as I am or was. And luckily, things aren't very awkward. There is mutual respect.

But wow, this year was crazy. I'm so overwhelmed just thinking about it. So here are maybe a couple of thoughts that run around in my mind after this wild year:

1) To my astonishment and shameful embarrassment because of my past hostility, my family is a lot less Mormon than the shitty ass Mormons I was surrounded by when starting college. And to my joy, my family is a lot more liberal, anti-fundamental and less religious than their counter parts. I keep trying to explain to them this fact but they don't see it. So I tell them I am going to write a book titled "Why My Mormon Family is Better Than The Mormon Church."

2) Man, a shit load of terrible things were said by my family and myself. But this happens. Thankfully, was slightly aforementioned, my family is a whole lot reasonable and it's easy to consolidate and build healthy relationships when your mormon father loves using science to enhance doubtfulness in the bible. That's more than most atheist blacksheep can ask for.

3) Damn...you know..again...I'm just so damn lucky my parents are so much cooler than the asshole mormon populations of california.

4) Wow, most people from my generation don't care too much about religion and if they do, they definitely don't go to church to believe in Jesus. I think that's awesome. By all means, use Jesus to cure your fear and depression...I totally understand. I just prefer Marvel and DC. hehe.

5) It's almost baffling and damn near inspirational coming from a natural perspective of existence than a religious one.

6) I'm going to make a lot of atheists free thinkers angry when I say: belief isn't the problem with this world...religion is. But, they are mutually exclusive. One cannot exist without the either. Which is really sad. Theism is not terrible, just the men that seek to leverage that belief into profit.

7) It's amazing how much personality I am regaining as I contimue to dismantle my warped mormon perception. I had lost myself so much in religion, even more when I left home for college. It was devastating. I am happy to know I can be ME and nothing else...even as I am still discovering who ME is.

8) Since experiencing all the nonsense one experiences when leaving a societal structure, I believe the worst has past. Now I can focus on a few simple things: my marriage, my mental health, my physical health, my job, and my education. That is AMAZING. No more guilt and time wasted in something that truly does not matter.

9) Atheism is depressing for someone raised in a theistic lifestyle. Which is why I think most Christian are half assed believers, for them belief is more appetizing than disbelief. I'm like, when I left the church I left my networking opportunities, my social activities, my identity, and a welfare structure that would cover food if I ever did need it. It's great security living in belief and there is so much uncertainty in disbelief. I think much can be done to switch those realities. Secular Humanism might be that medium, I think I am going to invest a lot of time and effort in that as I get older. I think many people sit on the fence and it's a shame. The fence needs to be plowed or a gate secured for those needing to leave a destructive religion.

10) My favorite: anger. Being an angry atheist is important...covertly. There is no use arguing a philosophical argument that is already won by secular thought and cursing the religious. It's more important to use anger like Malcom X or Martin Luther King used it. Use tact and serious political activism to do so. Softening the atheist conversation does not mean giving in, it means taking a different perspective to better solution. Hostility will not win the religious and neither will logic and rational. Faith is not logic or rational...it's this silly little idea that believing in something makes people more hospitable. Atheism and secular opinion is hospitable, but the faithful cant see it. Public opinion must be swayed and it cannot be swayed through being an asshole all the time.

Anyways, I'm just happy to know that my life is my own and all I have to do is take care of my health, my wife, be kind, and do what make me happy...not what makes the mormon church happy.

TL ; DR: Basically I have had a shitty year coming out of mormonism. From sickness, to unemployment, to hospitals...I've done it all! But gratefully I have had wonderful people on forums like this to help me through it. I've learned lots of things and I think I am better off at a happier life than I was a year ago. 2015 is my year. A year for good laughs, new friends, new accomplishments, and common human decency!
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: 1 Year Out of Mormonism
Congratulations.

[Image: ex_mormon_apron.jpg?height=250&width=250...quare=true]
Nobody is more awake than someone who was once a zombie. I envy you, because I remember what that feeling is like: the flowers are brighter, the air smells fresher. . .
Congratulations to you.. and Happy New Year! Smile
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Good going friend. I only had to wrestle with myself when deciding theistic claims were empty. Honestly, if I had to battle half of what you did, I might still be a Christian. Luckily, my family is also extremely liberal with their beliefs and learning as much as you can is a big deal around here, which gave me room to grow.

Hell, I'm not even outed yet, for my mother and grandparent's sake. I couldn't imagine writing a damn letter. Not to judge, but even leaving the Mormon church seems alien to me.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Congratulations, man. You're gonna be just fine.
Sounds like you've had a roller coaster year, but you've come out of it in about the best way possible. You have fought hard to be who you are, rather than give in and take the easy option of faking it. It's most commendable.

I know you've been through the wars, but it sounds like the scars are beginning to heal and the theistic need for answers, purpose etc. is fading.

Congratulations, and I hope things continue to improve for you in the new year!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
May the next year be the one you deserve.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Quote: I wrote my resignation letter to the church and rid my life of much unwanted superstition and guilt.

Look at it this way. They are still crazy but you are on the road to recovery.
Congrats, Q1C. All of these tribulations will be worth it in the long run. You have an entire life of truth ahead of you. Savor it.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2282 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  It's coming up to that time of year again... The Valkyrie 40 12155 September 23, 2017 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3577 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  My Journey from Mormonism to Atheism InquiringMind 10 1723 September 21, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Observation after embracing atheism for a year thool 18 3004 July 16, 2016 at 12:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11938 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Man Crucified Every Year Manowar 10 3083 April 5, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  FSTDT Fundie Of The Year Awards 2015 Cyberman 23 5296 January 28, 2015 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Exian
  Confessions: Going to Church for Xmas this Year *Deidre* 39 6386 December 28, 2014 at 6:39 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Atheists Gone Wild: Reign of Terror Kills Thousands in Less than a Year Blackrook 79 28647 September 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist