Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ager to Christian to Atheist
New Ager to Christian to Atheist
This is the Cliffs Notes version of a 35-year story.

I was born in 1960 in Southern California. My parents were beatnik bohemian-types with no religious pretensions. I figured out on my own that I would die some day, which was pretty scary, but what could you do? I recall asking my Dad about God when I was around 10, and I got a classic answer: “I don’t know, and I don’t think anyone else does either.”

I started smoking pot at age 13, and dropping acid at 15. Left home at 17 to hitchhike around the country, playing street music for change. Met a girl at 23, and we bummed around together, ending up on the Big Island of Hawaii in 1987. By this time I was a full-blown New Age hippy-type, into meditation and Zen and Taoism, pretty much every non-theistic groovy trippy nonsense there is. And then I had an acid trip that changed everything.

I was standing in an orchid field on a beautiful day, and had this incredible sense of oneness with everything. The grass, the flowers, the sky, the furthest galaxy in the universe – I could feel it all. And it occurred to me that I was the only one there. I laughed, and said out loud “I’m God!” And I believed it.

Then I freaked out.

Long story short, I had a psychotic break. I talked to God. 8 hours later, I was a Bible-believing Born-again Christian, and I had convinced my (Jewish) girlfriend to go to church with me the next day.

Looking back, I wonder how different things would have been if I had been anywhere other than the Big Island. People there are so laid-back, so accepting, that I felt right at home in that church. People greeted us at the door with big hugs, and were totally accepting of our barefoot-with-flipflops, cutoff-jeans look. We dove right in, and joined a Pastoral Training group at the church. We were taught how to delve into the historical context of the bible, as well as how to use tools such as Strong’s Concordance and Vine’s Expository Dictionary (Greek new Testament). We bought an interlinear Hebrew-English Bible and a parallel Greek-English New Testament.

We got married. I cut my hair. Shaved off my beard. Got a job. Went to college.

In 1992, we “heard God” tell us to move to Israel. My wife grew up there, so it was easy for me to tag along and become an Israeli citizen. I studied Hebrew, and soon we were connected to an Evangelical Jewish and Biblical Studies Institute, where we met and learned from some of the best teachers in the field of Jewish Roots of Christianity. I soaked it all in as fast as I could. I’ve always loved learning.

After 7 years in Israel, I could no longer stand living in a pressure-cooker, so we moved back to the States. Landed in Middle Tennessee (where “God told us” to go), and settled into the local church life.

But there were problems. For one thing, I kept hearing pastors using completely wrong translations of the Hebrew Bible. Not just off by a little bit, but totally off-base interpretations that made no sense at all. And when I tried to gently approach them to ask about their interpretations, they didn’t appreciate it. Seemed they had heard or read their crap interpretations form a trusted source, and that was the end of it as far as they were concerned.

At the same time, I was having problems with Christian doctrine. Hell, for example – why would a loving God condemn the vast majority of His children to eternal torment? Especially when the only thing they had really done was to be born in the “wrong” culture, to the “wrong” parents. Or the Trinity, which is nowhere in Scripture. Or the fact that, by taking a strong Republican political stance, the Evangelical Church is needlessly alienating half the country.

And I kept on studying. And discovered that eternal torment was not accepted by many of the Church Fathers. And that the RCC had gone so far as to insert passages into the Gospels to support the Trinity. And that numerous Biblical stories appear to be retellings of earlier stories, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh. And the more I learned, the more questions I had for my pastors.

I got kicked out of a few churches for asking these questions. Well, really for rejecting the answers, which were at odds with empirical textual evidence. When I showed my sources to pastors, they tended to get red-faced and tell me I should submit to my elders.

Then one day at a church picnic, I had a sudden epiphany. All the information I had made perfect sense if I accepted one simple concept: There is no God, it’s just a bunch of stories that help people feel better about their own mortality.

This scared the piss out of me. I was going to lose my salvation, I was going to Hell, I was unworthy. But at the same time, I figured that if there is a God, He’s big enough to handle some tough questions. So I kept probing. And once I had thought “there is no God,” I couldn’t un-think it. After 18 years, I had finally come down from that Hawaiian acid trip.

It took the better part of a year, but I gradually went from terror at losing my faith to peace with reality. Yes, some day I will die, and that’s the end. But I’m satisfied with right here, right now. And I’m no longer tormented by my “sinful” thoughts, or suppressing my humanity in the name of godliness.

In 2005 I took the leap and declared myself an Atheist. And I’ve never looked back. Life is good, now that the cognitive dissonance is over.

May the FSM be with you.
RE: New Ager to Christian to Atheist
Welcome!

Still in middle Tennessee?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Nope, moved to Asheville, NC last year. Much better breed of lunatic hereabouts.
Ashville is a nice town. It's been a few years since I've been on that side of the mountain, but I'll probably be in Robbinsville after it warms up for a ride on the dragon's tail.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
That's a pretty good story. Welcome to the forum, glad you're happy with atheism.
(January 13, 2015 at 5:38 pm)Davka Wrote: I was born in 1960 in Southern California.

Welcome Davka! I lived in So Cal for many years - Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine. Still visit down there a couple times a year.

Quote:May the FSM be with you.

Hell yeah. And may Sauce be Upon Him!
Ramen praise the noodle @OP
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 13, 2015 at 5:38 pm)Davka Wrote: This is the Cliffs Notes version of a 35-year story.

So, after the trip and 18 years it all came down to going to hell, you dumped Christianity over your fear of hell, not be cause it teaches that Christians are to love everyone even our enemies, we are to help each other and our fellow man believer or not. Why didn't you even mention those things, was it because not going to hell was the most important part of those 18 years, why not the great and loving relationship with the Creator of the universe, that's a relationship that can't be had any other way except through Christ, wasn't this important. You never stated why God told you to go to Israel and it seems that you ran from that mission, if it was one, because you got scared and lost trust in the God that supposedly sent you there. It seems to me that middle Tennessee was a destination you picked, why, because you never said God told you to leave Israel. Your story is curious at best and not very believable at worst, not in the sense it didn't happen, but in the sense that you might have never been a Christian. You tell me, how is it that one can come to actually know God and then deny His existence, don't tell me that the scriptures do not teach we can know, because they definitely do. You should have come to East Tennessee and talked with my pastor who studies the scriptures from the Greek. This is another reason I find your story hard to believe, God wouldn't send you to a place where there was no one to teach you, He doesn't work that way.

GC

(January 13, 2015 at 6:47 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: Ashville is a nice town. It's been a few years since I've been on that side of the mountain, but I'll probably be in Robbinsville after it warms up for a ride on the dragon's tail.

Yes it is, my father's family is from that area of NC. Are you going to ride the dragon all the way to Maryville, TN. Please be careful someone is killed on the dragon every year.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Thank you very much for your story Smile

Sounds like a hell of a ride! I'm glad that you came out the other end with your head on straight. It doesn't say much about religion if the professional church preachers can't provide decent answers, and don't care the slightest about the accuracy of what they are teaching.

Welcome back to reality Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 13, 2015 at 6:30 pm)Davka Wrote: Nope, moved to Asheville, NC last year. Much better breed of lunatic hereabouts.
Great read, you've certainly lived a little. You can see Godschild, being the one true christian himself, has already sussed you out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87848 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Brazil's new president promises Christian Theocracy Foxaèr 36 4668 October 31, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  christian logic vs atheist logic atheist04330 18 3402 July 20, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7344 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  discrimination against atheist in christian schools (personal experience) Science it works 15 5851 August 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6302 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  New game: your ideal Christian Whateverist 18 7150 December 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Former Atheist, (now a Christian) who led to the first Dawkin's Forum site closing. CoxRox 21 6363 October 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: salty