Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
discrimination against atheist in christian schools (personal experience)
discrimination against atheist in christian schools (personal experience)
I just got my masters in theology and i wanted to share my experiences you. I went to a very christian School and all my class mates except for my best friend were studying to become priests and releated. My class mates accepted my views on Christianity in most cases but they weren't the problem. Almost all my Teachers were very strict christians and i could tell from day one when i told them i were an atheist that they started treating me and my best friend ( also and atheist) differently. I wrote a 24 page long assignment regarding the bible and a friend of mine ( christian ) only wrote a 12 page assignment. However he got a 5+ on his / b+ and i only recived a 3 / D. When i confronted my teacher he replied.
Quote: You should just choose another study, you have no reason to study Theology as you are a atheist. And dont expect getting any higher than a 4- from me.
I told my best friend about this insident and strangely enough he too had gotten a 3 on the assignment. We thought of Reporting him to the higher ups in the School but we never got around to it. When we were in the Third grade the teacher that had been discriminating us quit his job (he retired). So on the day after we graduated ( a few months ago ) we sent a copy of Our graduating papers and a lovely note to the teacher. saying by gods will we made it through.

We have not yet recived an answer....
Luckily we both got jobs as Teachers in a high School ( not the same one of course...)
So if anyone else Reading this is being discriminated against as i was thoughen it out and prove that you are the better man Smile

( true story )
RE: discrimination against atheist in christian school (personal experience)
Is English your first language? If it is, I have the sneaking suspicion that might have been the real reason for the poor mark on your paper.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: discrimination against atheist in christian schools (personal experience)
(August 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Is English your first language? If it is, I have the sneaking suspicion that might have been the real reason for the poor mark on your paper.

no it isn't and i have had a few beers Smile sorry about that
Why did you study theology if you don't believe?

Because the day I realized my school had a Theology department, I looked it up, and I couldn't take any of it seriously. And I'm not sure why even a religious person would choose to study theology since logically, if god intends for people to understand his message, he wouldn't limit that understanding to people who go to grad schools.

I mean, grats on your degree, but I'm really curious why you picked this subject.
(August 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Why did you study theology if you don't believe?

Because the day I realized my school had a Theology department, I looked it up, and I couldn't take any of it seriously. And I'm not sure why even a religious person would choose to study theology since logically, if god intends for people to understand his message, he wouldn't limit that understanding to people who go to grad schools.

I mean, grats on your degree, but I'm really curious why you picked this subject.
I find it really interesting, i always have. I currently work as a teacher in religion but i dont teach it like my teacher did. I teach it as you would teach a adventure story, you can choose to believe it or not. I also teach about religons ( in general) start and it's effects today. How it has changed the world we know today.
I'm also curious...why theology? Here in 'Murica, I can score a Doctor of Divinity degree for $20, give or take. Why suffer stupid only to wear it's insignia?

Maybe your country utilizes degrees differently?
@Science it works, forgive my ignorance, but in my school there's a department of religions that looks into religion and its effects and how it came to be etc. etc. Which I do think is a pretty neat thing to study for people who are interested in anthropology/sociology and such.

And then there's theology, that looks into Christianity and treats it as real.

Sounds to me like you're teaching religion study, but you studied theology?
Well yes i do but i try to Balance it so noone feels that views are being left outm you know? Smile
Well as long as you like what you're doing and you're not indoctrinating anyone, that's all that matters Smile.

And, in response to the discrimination thing. Reality is for everyone. I am always able to explain my projects and schoolwork to people who ask about it, whether they're trained in science or not. If your teacher holds the view that only believers get to study theology, that just goes to show it's make belief and not reality.
(August 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: I'm also curious...why theology? Here in 'Murica, I can score a Doctor of Divinity degree for $20, give or take. Why suffer stupid only to wear it's insignia?

Maybe your country utilizes degrees differently?

To become a teacher in Theology i needed a master degree that took Three years. So yes perhaps it's different. i do teach at a high School so you need to be able to argue with alot of angry teenagers Smile besides i really REALLY love Reading about religion so the Three years were fun except for the uncomfortable moments.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 455 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87852 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 84195 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1735 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11146 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2084 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1387 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time Aegon 19 1839 May 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Question about this unusual experience orthodox-man 8 1179 January 26, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 5981 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152