Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New game: your ideal Christian
New game: your ideal Christian
1.) What are the best positions/attributes a Christian could have and still want to call herself a Christian?

2.) Have you ever met a Christian that met your ideal? (If not, are there any fairly famous ones you suspect might?)

3.) How fond/approving of such a Christian could you be? Would you be happy to have one: .. move next door? .. become a fishing buddy? .. marry your daughter?! .. marry you?!?!

My turn.

1.) My ideal Christian reads the bible as allegory, finding truth and wisdom in much of it. She also finds truth and wisdom in the holy books of other traditions, in poetry and in many novels. She understands that the origins of the bible are murky and that it was authored by men. It was inspired in places as were many of those other books she is so fond of. She would tell you the bible is not a "how to" book for living a good life, though it does contain some good insights.

My ideal Christian accepts that she has no objective evidence for the existence of God. So she is an agnostic theist. She is as certain that God exists as I am that He does not because it helps her makes sense of her personal experience of the world and herself. She doesn't proselytize because she understands that what makes sense for herself may or may not for others. She does not feel any obligation to win others over to Christianity because there is nothing she finds in the bible that she interprets as prescriptive and plenty that she rejects outright. She does however share what has been meaningful to her when asked or when others seem not to be finding any of their own.

She enjoys keeping up with science and delights in learning new things about "the great unfoldment" (aka "creation"). [The notion of a grand watch maker seems as ludicrous to her as to us.] Naturally Genesis is allegory and the bible is a poor choice as a reference for empirical facts.

Heaven and hell make allegorical sense to her as states we can achieve in our lives here and now. An after life makes little sense to her now. When she was younger, she imagined that she would continue on as she is in some spiritual body in God's company when she died. Looking back she recognizes that as the only way she had at the time to make sense of it all. Now she would tell you that God is both more complex and more simple than a person. When she a little younger she thought that God had actually taken human form in the person of Jesus and that had led her to imagine having human like conversations with God. She now thinks Jesus was a human with great insight whose words and history have been distorted. Her mature, adult understanding of Jesus is in accord with that of Rex Weylor's book on the only actual sayings attributed directly to Jesus:

Quote:Seek the truth
There is a light within; look and you will find it.
Know yourself.
When you find he light within, share it with the world.

A divine kingdom is within you and all around you.
Speak out, teach others about this kingdom.
This kingdom is like a small seed that grows.
It is like leaven in bread, a tiny force that affects everything.
Observe the world before you, here and now.

Commit fully now.
Act on your knowledge.
Your understanding is revealed in the fruits of your actions.

Be generous and merciful.
Share what you have with others.
Help the poor, hungry, and grieving, and those who have no home.
Don't worry about your own comforts.
Your poverty and sadness bring you closer to the divine kingdom.

Remain humble, don’t exalt yourself.
Don’t judge others, but improve yourself
Be as a child, open, curious, authentic, and modest.
Love your enemies and those that rebuke you.

Otherwise, avoid rules and follow the truth you discover yourself.
Act from awareness, not habit or convention.
Don’t blindly repeat rituals.
Don’t trust those with spiritual pretensions.
Question those who presume to speak for God.

If you have two good ears, listen to what I am telling you.

When Jesus said "I am the way" this, by way of his example, is what he meant.

2.) I have not met my ideal christian but held many of these positions myself on my way out of being one.

Bill Moyers is a Christian I'd like to know better.

3.) Bill Moyers is welcome to move next door. And the lady I described above would make a welcome addition to the family if my stepson should happen to meet her. For myself, I'm happily married to a lifelong atheist who was raised in no religion and doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. When all the anti-gay defining of marriage came up, we both wanted a new term for our relationship. If the contract we obtained from the government was really a religious relic, we got hornswoggled and tricked into something we did not ask for. We'd like to have something secular damn it.

RE: New game: your ideal Christian
(December 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm)whateverist Wrote: 1.) What are the best positions/attributes a Christian could have and still want to call herself a Christian?
The kind of Christian that keeps their beliefs, values and dogma to themselves.

Quote:2.) Have you ever met a Christian that met your ideal? (If not, are there any fairly famous ones you suspect might?)
No and no.

Quote:3.) How fond/approving of such a Christian could you be? Would you be happy to have one: .. move next door? .. become a fishing buddy? .. marry your daughter?! .. marry you?!?!
I'd tolerate them, same with any other human being.
I find that quality in short supply among christians. I've met some that happily embrace evolution and science generally. But they all have seemed wed to the bible as the most special of special books and one that compels them to help us whether we want it or not. I'll bet Bill Moyers wouldn't be like that.
Any christian who has read and follows the first half at least of matthew 6.
1.) One who doesn't deny evolution, or other scientific facts.

2.) Yes. My grandparents, most Catholics.

3.) I don't dismiss people for their religious beliefs, and have had long relationships with Christians.

Aleialoura, I appreciate your balanced embrace of your own position with empathy and respect for those who disagree with you. You'll never find it out there if you never put it out there.

I like the short format Aleialoura and Welsh Cake adopted. I'm going to try trimming down my list:

1.) One who looks to the bible, but not the bible exclusively, for allegorical truth and recognizes science, not the bible, as the best source for empirical truth. (Should be completely down with evolution, the big bang, and an eons old earth.)

One who is agnostic, meaning they don't exalt their own personal perspective above that of others and so do not proselytize.

Extra points for rejecting the concept of an after life and for recognizing heaven and hell as metaphors for subjective states realizable here on earth, not places we go to when we no longer exist. Jesus is either understood allegorically or as an especially insightful historical person whose actual message is to be found in Rex Weylor's book.

2.) No but I may be developing a bro-crush on Bill Moyers whose mind, work and attitude I greatly admire but whose precise Christian positions are not known to me.

3.) Open, fair minded people who are curious, respectful and empathic toward others while being honest and true to themselves are hard to find. I'd welcome a chimp that met my description. Why not a Christian?

People can believe any damn fool thing they want as far as I'm concerned. As long as they don't try to push it on me or have their silly ass opinions enacted into our laws.
(December 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm)whateverist Wrote: 1.) What are the best positions/attributes a Christian could have and still want to call herself a Christian?

2.) Have you ever met a Christian that met your ideal? (If not, are there any fairly famous ones you suspect might?)

3.) How fond/approving of such a Christian could you be? Would you be happy to have one: .. move next door? .. become a fishing buddy? .. marry your daughter?! .. marry you?!?!

1.) Open minded, skeptical, thoughtful, studied other religions, intellectual, answer seeking, devoted.

2.) yes, John Wilkinson - author of No Argument for God

3.) If I meet anyone, no matter what religion they ascribe to, who has the attributes listed in number one I would gladly have [edit:] them as a neighbor, best friend, son-in-law, or spouse.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
(December 18, 2011 at 1:42 am)Perhaps Wrote:

1.) Open minded, skeptical, thoughtful, studied other religions, intellectual, answer seeking, devoted.

2.) yes, John Wilkinson - author of No Argument for God

3.) If I meet anyone, no matter what religion they ascribe to, who has the attributes listed in number one I would gladly have [edit:] them as a neighbor, best friend, son-in-law, or spouse.

Hmm. I guess I felt obliged to work in some stance toward the issues a christian would likely need addressed in order to recognize my ideal as being about Christians.

I guess you're saying that so long as they exhibited these traits you wouldn't be concerned with how they squared their faith with science or what exactly they believed. That is probably more fair for being less demanding.

I think I secretly want to redeem Christians by showing them how they can hold their religion without closing themselves off from the larger world. So far I have zero success stories.
The ideal christian does not and can never exist.

IMO

[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89404 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Brazil's new president promises Christian Theocracy Foxaèr 36 4747 October 31, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13706 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  What is your ideal world with religion? Won2blv 28 4185 May 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  How to avoid confusion in your Christian belief. Pyrrho 14 3551 May 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17622 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  New Ager to Christian to Atheist Davka 39 6592 January 16, 2015 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7439 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Your favorite Christian books? Mudhammam 13 3102 March 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please describe what you think would make the ideal Christian? Whateverist 24 5470 February 25, 2014 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Mr. Moncrieff