Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Cannot Trust What You Believe
You Cannot Trust What You Believe
People Can Be Convinced They Committed a Crime That Never Happened

Quote:Evidence from some wrongful-conviction cases suggests that suspects can be questioned in ways that lead them to falsely believe in and confess to committing crimes they didn’t actually commit. New research provides lab-based evidence for this phenomenon, showing that innocent adult participants can be convinced, over the course of a few hours, that they had perpetrated crimes as serious as assault with a weapon in their teenage years.

The research, published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, indicates that the participants came to internalize the stories they were told, providing rich and detailed descriptions of events that never actually took place.

Now, if people can be convinced in just a few short hours that something happened which they do not want to have happened, how much easier would it be to convince someone - or to convince yourself - of the truth of something you want to believe happened?

This is the fallacy which lies at the heart of religion, and especially of Evangelical Christianity. People are encouraged to "testify," and to trust their own memory and emotions, elevating what you "know" above any actual empirical evidence to the contrary.

I cannot count how many times i heard things like "I know that I know," or "you have to trust the confirmation of the Spirit," or similar ideas. Christians who are experiencing doubts are encouraged to think back over 'all the things God has done in your life,' as evidence that the faith is true.

But those memories, feelings, hopes and desires cannot be trusted. Empirical evidence trumps memory and conviction, every time.
RE: You Cannot Trust What You Believe
Lenin was a mushroom.
I can quite believe it. Religion quite clearly uses brainwashing techniques and is damn good at it. If it works on adults, think of the poor children subjected to it endlessly at home before their critical thinking has developed. No wonder they can become lost causes when they turn adults Sad The whole thing is disgusting.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Little kids trust their parents more than college students trust researchers. It is no wonder some of these kids grow up to believe ethics and compassion can't exist without god or that they are worthless sinners.
The more you post the less I believe your first posting, now to the OP. Didn't you find it relevant to show the process these people went through. Ever see a police interrogation that pressures people to the extreme not allowing them to sleep, not allowing smokers to have a cig and denying them other things needed to keep their thoughts straight. Brainwashed. I've never seen this type of treatment of Christians, I've seen things that are questionable but, nothing like high pressure interrogation.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Most christian brainwashing takes places when the victim is a child, or when they're on drugs, or facing death.

The brain is capable of many things. Self delusion is one of them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

G-C is walking proof of that.
(January 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm)Godschild Wrote: The more you post the less I believe your first posting, now to the OP. Didn't you find it relevant to show the process these people went through. Ever see a police interrogation that pressures people to the extreme not allowing them to sleep, not allowing smokers to have a cig and denying them other things needed to keep their thoughts straight. Brainwashed. I've never seen this type of treatment of Christians, I've seen things that are questionable but, nothing like high pressure interrogation.

GC

Your ability to extrapolate and apply information from one concept to another is amazing, GC. Facepalm

The point of the OP isn't saying that Christians are purposefully brainwashing people into believing in god. It's saying that our minds are fallible and malleable, and that causes us to form memories and ideas that aren't actually true. The point is that we have to be wary about what we accept as truth, and that there needs to be some sort of method to evaluate what is real and what isn't.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm)Godschild Wrote: The more you post the less I believe your first posting, now to the OP. Didn't you find it relevant to show the process these people went through. Ever see a police interrogation that pressures people to the extreme not allowing them to sleep, not allowing smokers to have a cig and denying them other things needed to keep their thoughts straight. Brainwashed. I've never seen this type of treatment of Christians, I've seen things that are questionable but, nothing like high pressure interrogation.

GC

You seem to think that false memories are just during interogations they are not.

There was a terrorist bombing in Paris when my wife and I were on honeymoon there.
My wife is convinced that she heard it when we where at a Metro station.
If fact we had no idea it had a happened till we got home and watched the news. She has inserted in to her memory all by herself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Loftus

Quote:In 1973 Loftus accepted an assistant professorship at the University of Washington and used the new position to begin a new line of research into how memory works in real-world settings,[3][7][10] beginning the empirical study of eyewitness testimony.[8] One of the first studies she conducted was the reconstruction of automobile destruction study,[10] in which she found that the way in which questions were worded altered the memories subjects reported.[5][10] Loftus’ next step was to investigate whether asking leading questions, or providing misleading information in other forms, might also affect people’s memory for the original event.[5] To answer this question she developed the misinformation effect paradigm, which demonstrated that the memories of eyewitnesses are altered after being exposed to incorrect information about an event and that memory is highly malleable and open to suggestion.[5][8][11] The misinformation effect became one of the most influential and widely known effects in psychology,[5] and Loftus’ early work on the effect generated hundreds of follow-up studies examining factors that improve or worsen the accuracy of memories, and to explored the cognitive mechanisms underlying the effect.[5][8]

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Bible contradictions? In the medical field doctors can't agree on how to treat certain illnesses. They prescribe drugs that are poison to one symptom while they create a host of other even more serious problems.

Nothing is perfect.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I literally cannot avoid sinning; so, why... zwanzig 70 3539 July 23, 2023 at 7:43 am
Last Post: no one
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1734 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4741 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8523 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I Have Proof the the Christian God Does Not and Cannot Eist Rhondazvous 89 13808 July 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Can you believe this shit? Spooky 35 8496 July 18, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Why do you believe in God? ObliviousCat 64 11314 May 4, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Do You Believe (the movie) watchamadoodle 13 2618 April 12, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  How would you regard good evidence for a God you don't now believe in? Whateverist 32 8637 January 11, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Trust the Bible not Science Dolorian 34 7324 October 25, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic