Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how old were you
how old were you
What age were you when God stopped making any sense?
RE: how old were you
God never made sense.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Before I stopped believing in Santa Claus. At least there was some physical evidence of Santa.

Actually I think the concept of being good and getting rewards does make sense to a child (be it Santa or religion) with limited critical thinking skills, but it really shouldn't to adult. Despite this most religions are based on the exact same concept as Santa, albeit with imaginary rewards.
God never made sense to me. Became an atheist somewhere between 23-25.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(January 24, 2015 at 5:45 am)jackson Wrote: What age were you when God stopped making any sense?

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Never made sense. Still doesn't. No meaningful definition has ever been put forward to me of what a "God" is.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
changed from Methodist to UU around age 23. They put all kinds of odd notions in my head! That was 1980.

Hit 12 Steppers in 1986, and that is when HIV started killing my tribe. I suppose my transition to atheism was very gradual. If I wanted to put a date on it it would be during Brian's funeral, 1989.

Didn't get pissy about til the internet got big. Tongue
Around 12
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have always been an atheist.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
About 16. I didn't like much of the rituals even before then.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3201 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1570 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4104 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7679 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If christianity were true [hypothetical] dyresand 27 3750 June 17, 2016 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 7002 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 50582 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  If You Were A Theist Shuffle 15 3597 August 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: IATIA
  What did you think of Richard Dawkins's old forum? TheMessiah 10 3992 June 6, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  If I were an Atheist Drew_2013 549 71589 May 13, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut