Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free speech
Free speech
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here not believe that their should be freedom of speech and religious expression in our country?

Should the humiliation of Christians possibly be considered a hate-crime? Where do you draw the line and does no line take us down a slippery slope?

Love over tongue-lashing or na?[/i]
RE: Free speech
Could you give an example of what you consider "humiliation of Christians?"
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 29, 2015 at 12:28 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Could you give an example of what you consider "humiliation of Christians?"
I think it involves the embarrassment felt when firmly espoused dogma is shown to be logically inconsistent or factually incorrect.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(January 29, 2015 at 12:28 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Could you give an example of what you consider "humiliation of Christians?"

Hate speech. Acts that do signifficant physical and or emotional harm. Discrimination in the work place. Discrimination amongst peers. Sectarianism, propaganda, propping up of the "intelligentsia."
Could you give a specific example of something that would qualify as any of this?

Anything that causes significant physical harm would qualify as assault and is already illegal, so we'll move past that. So is discrimination in the workplace.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 29, 2015 at 12:25 am)Eager Mind Wrote: Just out of curiosity, does anyone here not believe that their should be freedom of speech and religious expression in our country?

No I wouldn't outlaw religion and yes there should be free speech. However freedom of speech includes the right not only to practice and promote religion but also to ridicule and debunk it.

(January 29, 2015 at 12:25 am)Eager Mind Wrote: Should the humiliation of Christians possibly be considered a hate-crime? Where do you draw the line and does no line take us down a slippery slope?

What do you mean my humiliation? If you mean blasphemy, including creating artwork like this:

[Image: 636_092112_fx_christ_urine.jpg]

Or news coverage of the sexual foibles/crimes of the clergy; or pointing out the historical or scientific errors of the Bible; then there is and should be a Constitutional right to humiliate Christians. We call it freedom of speech. The right to religious expression ends where the rights of others begins.

I draw the line at physical violence and other things that would be a crime if they were committed against anyone, Christian or not.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 29, 2015 at 12:36 am)Eager Mind Wrote: Hate speech. Acts that do signifficant physical and or emotional harm. Discrimination in the work place. Discrimination amongst peers. Sectarianism, propaganda, propping up of the "intelligentsia."

(January 29, 2015 at 12:40 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Could you give a specific example of something that would qualify as any of this?

Anything that causes significant physical harm would qualify as assault and is already illegal, so we'll move past that. So is discrimination in the workplace.

Or, maybe provide some evidence that "hate speech" as you've defined it actually takes place in the real world in any way other than one-offs in isolation.

And what the fuck is "intelligentsia?"
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(January 29, 2015 at 12:36 am)Eager Mind Wrote:

Hate speech.

Yes, I would be humiliated too if I had to share a label with the likes of the Phelps's church or any number of other Christians who have attempted to justify their bigotry by hiding behind 'Holy Scripture'.

Quote:Acts that do signifficant physical and or emotional harm.

Like exorcisms, 'gay reparative therapy', Bible camps, priests/ministers playing hide the salami, etc.? That kind of physical and/or emotional harm?

Quote:Discrimination in the work place.

Unless the work place is a business with an opinion about divine matters. Then discrimination is legitimized as free exercise.

Quote:Sectarianism, propaganda, propping up of the "intelligentsia."

Walk immediately to the nearest mirror!
(January 29, 2015 at 12:36 am)Eager Mind Wrote: Hate speech. Acts that do signifficant physical and or emotional harm. Discrimination in the work place. Discrimination amongst peers. Sectarianism, propaganda, propping up of the "intelligentsia."

I was afraid of that. It is a slippery slope indeed limiting free speech. I don't think religious feelings should be protected any more than Republican, Democrat, or Nazi feelings should be protected.

(January 29, 2015 at 12:36 am)Eager Mind Wrote: Sectarianism, propaganda, propping up of the "intelligentsia."

Sectarianism is religious behavior and should only be prohibited when it comes in the form of discrimination and then only when governmental, or as already covered by anti-discrimination laws.

Prohibiting propaganda would eliminate much religious expression not protect it. --- No, I would prohibit propaganda because there's no good way to define it.

What do you mean by "propping up of the 'intelligentsia'?" Nothing healthy for free speech is my suspicion. Limiting the rights of educated people to speak is what I'm afraid you mean.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 29, 2015 at 12:25 am)Eager Mind Wrote: Just out of curiosity, does anyone here not believe that their should be freedom of speech and religious expression in our country?

Should the humiliation of Christians possibly be considered a hate-crime? Where do you draw the line and does no line take us down a slippery slope?

Humiliation of christians.. dude they have been humiliating them selves for centuries i just so happen to think that mind set is hysterical i mean with all the evidence going against it and using blind faith yeah no its not a hate crime its just hatred of ignorance.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As with everything else, Christians are hypocrites about free speech. Ryantology 5 2263 December 28, 2013 at 5:03 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  London School of Economics and Free Speech Row Fidel_Castronaut 10 4062 November 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda