Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real
Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real
For religious folks, would you pack it in?  If they, in the future, could map out 'decision making', and show it's got nothing to do with 'choosing', that pretty much is game over for the foundation of all major religions, right?

Would you consider this to be proof that your God doesn't exist?
RE: Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real
Yes I would and that my religion is false.
Make sure to get light goalposts; don't want anyone injuring their back.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(July 3, 2016 at 2:26 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Make sure to get light goalposts; don't want anyone injuring their back.

Hehehe
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Oh, cmon, allah's made of of stronger stuff than all that, surely? I'd be a little dissappointed, personally..if the faithful suddenly became less so because they realized that science said what it had been saying all along.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Something tells me it may not be a good idea to turn MysticKnight into an atheist. Surely nobody wants him going through a big existential crisis.
Meh, he did fine without Ali a few years back. Wasn't out eating babies or raping people, so far as I could tell.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
For the others in the thread, do you think finding out you aren't responsible for who you are would decrease the enjoyability of your circle jerks?
MK, no need to wait matey.
Since when do religious people rely on evidence to believe in god?
It's like the creature in Alien.
The more you fight them, the tighter they will strangle the logic.
Nuking from orbit is the only way to be sure!
These days it seems that Islam is self imploding...
Was that also the will of Allah.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If there is nothing but pure determinism, and we somehow learn this, we will react and continue to act in precisely the one way that we are determined to act anyway.

We could speculate on what that is of course. But you can't "choose" to act in a reality where there is no choice.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10223 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1113 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1862 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Popcorn Proves Poppy the Pop Corn God. The Valkyrie 67 10100 May 16, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 788 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 55829 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12018 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Wink The Attraction System In MEN & WOMEN Proves God Exists!!! Edward John 69 13345 December 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 8843 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  If free will was not real Foxaèr 508 40000 August 22, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Gemini