Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most challenging arguement you have faced?
Most challenging arguement you have faced?
I was wondering if any of you have ever had a particularly challenging arguement against your atheism, from a theist?

If so what was it? How did you respond?

I personally have never encountered a challenging arguement. Perhaps there is none. I'm just curious.

Laurens
RE: Most challenging arguement you have faced?
No.

At some point it always comes down to "my god is real and all the others aren't."

Somehow, that is a terribly unconvincing argument to use to persuade.
Arguments like TAG and the modern Ontological argument are challenging because whilst they are quite obviously fallacious, it is often harder to say why.

As Bertrand Russell wrote (in regards to the Ontological argument):

"The argument does not, to a modern mind, seem very convincing, but it is easier to feel convinced that it must be fallacious than it is to find out precisely where the fallacy lies."
I personally find questions about abiogenesis difficult, but only because I don't know enough about it to speak articulately on the subject. I don't find the issue challenging to my atheism at all, just difficult to explain in an arguement.
Well, at Notre Dame, I was given an argument that claims that Catholic Priests were the survivors closest to the epicenter of the Hiroshima bombing. It was difficult to find anything about the incident, but this was what I found.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Theistic and non theistic rationalism is equally matched. There are no convincing arguments for either side.
(March 13, 2010 at 8:04 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Theistic and non theistic rationalism is equally matched. There are no convincing arguments for either side.

All aboard the crazy train.
(March 13, 2010 at 7:38 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Well, at Notre Dame, I was given an argument that claims that Catholic Priests were the survivors closest to the epicenter of the Hiroshima bombing. It was difficult to find anything about the incident, but this was what I found.

If god is so great why didn't he just stop the bomb from exploding at all?

Now that would have been a miracle.

Remembering that Hiroshima was one of the most christian cities in Japan.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(March 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm)tavarish Wrote: All aboard the crazy train.

If you're that convinced by your arguments then you have truly earned a place on that train.
I'm with Adrian on this one. The TAG argument was definitely the toughest cookie I've ever had the displeasure of trying to chew. And if I'm openly honest about it, I still haven't concretely made up my mind about it and hope for the debate to reignite here sometime.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35417 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 32857 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5447 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Which atheists do you find the most annoying? Whateverist 126 18648 November 18, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religious Rules that bother you the most Cecelia 47 6946 November 4, 2015 at 6:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What pissed you off the most when debating against theism? strawberryBacteria 26 6757 September 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Chad32
Video Most ignorant thing a Christian has told you Mental Outlaw 64 10734 March 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18127 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Your arguement is invalid IAmTheeWallrus 7 1267 June 27, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7106 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist