Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:40 pm

Poll: Which first...
This poll is closed.
Origin of Species
0%
0 0%
Greatest Show on Earth
20.00%
2 20.00%
Elegant Universe: Brian Greene
20.00%
2 20.00%
Creation: Based on the film
0%
0 0%
Darwin: Voyage of the Beagle
0%
0 0%
God is not Great
40.00%
4 40.00%
What Ho! P.G. Wodehouse
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which book should I read first.
Which book should I read first.
I've got quite a few books that I really should have read by now. Trouble is I don't know where to start. :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Which book should I read first.
Of that list I enjoyed Elegant Universe the most.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
leo-rcc Wrote:Of that list I enjoyed Elegant Universe the most.

Yeah, its one of my favorites.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Depends. If you want to shore up your knowledge of Evolution then Greatest Show on Earth. If you want to read a great polemic against religion then Hitchens is your bet.
Well, here are my opinions of all of these books based on what I've heard. I've actually only read the Dawkins and Hitchens books, with parts of Origin of Species (I do have a lot of books in my reading Queue, and science is not that high a priority in my queue.)

*Origin of Species: Well, this is certainly the book that laid the framework for the Theory of Evolution, and while his style can be poetic at times, it is actually particularly technical. In fact, virtually every Readability Index I consulted has claimed that it is less readable than Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow. I'd put this second.
*Greatest Show on Earth. This is my pick for the first book you should read, if only because it gives up-to-date information as to what the Theory of Evolution currently entails. Admittedly, a more accurate guide will likely come along in a few years, and Dawkins really shows his age here more than in The God Delusion, but it's certainly worth reading.
*Elegant Universe: Brian Greene. Do you really want to get into String Theory? Then I suppose this is the best way to do so.
*Creation: Based on the film. I have been able to find no info on this book. From the title (all the info I could find on google), it seems like it is just a novelization of the movie. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I would probably read it last.
*Darwin: Voyage of the Beagle. From what I've heard, this is far more readable than Origin, but it is much less relevant to the theory of evolution than it.
*God is not Great. I bought this on the first day it was out. I have to admit that between Dawkins, Hitchens, and Harris, my preference is definitely for Dawkins, but this one is still worth reading, if only for its bombastic style.
*What Ho! P.G. Wodehouse. Well, this is supposed to contain the best of Wodehouse's Stories. I haven't actually read any Wodehouse, but judging from the Fry and Laurie version of Jeeves and Wooster, it is likely funny.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1023 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 251 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3115 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1101 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 1987 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  ♫Should I stay or should I go...♫ (Not a music thread.) Gawdzilla Sama 7 886 August 17, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 376 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 1998 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Passages which make you C.O.S. (chuckle out softly) Whateverist 0 389 November 7, 2017 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 752 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr