Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians, Prove Your God Is Good
The god of the bible is a sociopath. I am curious if Christians can explain why their god is good without resorting to "Because the bible says"
Because he won't throw gas on you and set you on fire if you kiss his ass.
RE: Christians, Prove Your God Is Good
(February 21, 2015 at 9:53 pm)KUSA Wrote: Because he won't throw gas on you and set you on fire if you kiss his ass.

He sounds like an abusive spouse. "But dear, I wouldn't beat you if you didn't make me angry."

Maybe I should have asked Christians to prove that bible god is different from an abusive lover
It's understandable from an anthropological point of view why the god of the OT (and even the NT) comes off as such a cruel entity. That god was made in the image of men who themselves saw cruelty and abusiveness at times as beneficial to their society ... and therefore considered a sign of "tough love".

Unlike us nowadays where we tend to see such cruelty and abuse as almost always (if not always) a sign of poor love and lack of empathy ... and therefore not a good thing. Today's Christians should know better, but unfortunately, when you're desperate to cling to some divine truth, you'll dismiss even your own ideals in favor of such "truth".

What's interesting is many of these Christians will agree it's wrong to be verbally abusive to your spouse or kids (and even be indignant about it) but will not bat an eye when it is God doing the abusing.
God is good because he says he is.
Really, how hard can it be?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 21, 2015 at 11:48 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: God is good because he says he is.
Really, how hard can it be?

Somebody beat me to it.

He died for your sins! To save you from hell, which he created for people who don't worship him.

You just have to have faith.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 21, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Nope Wrote:
(February 21, 2015 at 9:53 pm)KUSA Wrote: Because he won't throw gas on you and set you on fire if you kiss his ass.

He sounds like an abusive spouse. "But dear, I wouldn't beat you if you didn't make me angry."

Maybe I should have asked Christians to prove that bible god is different from an abusive lover

God beats the ones he loves. If he doesn't beat you then he doesn't love you. And the more severe the beating the more he loves you.

Hebrews 12:5-7 (TLB) = "5 And have you quite forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you, his child? He said, “My son, don’t be angry when the Lord punishes you. Don’t be discouraged when he has to show you where you are wrong. 6 For when he punishes you, it proves that he loves you. When he whips you, it proves you are really his child.”
7 Let God train you, for he is doing what any loving father does for his children. Whoever heard of a son who was never corrected?"
Nice strawman they got there. if you're against beatings, you must be against correcting children at all.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 22, 2015 at 12:13 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(February 21, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Nope Wrote: He sounds like an abusive spouse. "But dear, I wouldn't beat you if you didn't make me angry."

God beats the ones he loves. If he doesn't beat you then he doesn't love you. And the more severe the beating the more he loves you.

Hebrews 12:5-7 (TLB) = "5 And have you quite forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you, his child? He said, “My son, don’t be angry when the Lord punishes you. Don’t be discouraged when he has to show you where you are wrong. 6 For when he punishes you, it proves that he loves you. When he whips you, it proves you are really his child.”
7 Let God train you, for he is doing what any loving father does for his children. Whoever heard of a son who was never corrected?"

An anbusive spouse and father.
(February 22, 2015 at 2:19 am)Nope Wrote: An anbusive spouse and father.

Or just a very human construct designed to control people with fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12887 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1926 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5306 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2278 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9053 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  "Good" & "Bad" Christians? Fake Messiah 153 9662 August 27, 2019 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7764 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11702 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10039 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10476 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm