Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New theory on Aboigenesis
New theory on Aboigenesis
This just popped up on my Facebook feed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...70114.html

Quote:It proposes that life did not emerge by accident or luck from a primordial soup and a bolt of lightning. Instead, life itself came about by necessity – it follows from the laws of nature and is as inevitable as rocks rolling downhill.

Very interesting implications to multiple areas of science if it turns out to be true.
RE: New theory on Aboigenesis
(February 26, 2015 at 3:10 am)StuW Wrote: This just popped up on my Facebook feed.

Quote:It proposes that life did not emerge by accident or luck from a primordial soup and a bolt of lightning. Instead, life itself came about by necessity – it follows from the laws of nature and is as inevitable as rocks rolling downhill.

Very interesting implications to multiple areas of science if it turns out to be true.

Why isn't there life on the moon, or mars? Light has been falling on the moon for billions of years. It would seem if this theory is correct we should see life anywhere light falls for a long time....and that is just not the case.
This won't bother the religious, the fundies will ignore it because they have faith and the rest will shift the goalposts and act like its a tool god used, just like they do with evolution.
Yeah, this oversimplification is absurd. I'm all for abiogenesis (after all, for life to always come for life, life must have always existed - which we know isn't true - so life must have come from non-life), but they make it sound like you just need light and any random assortment of atoms to get life. This is as much a theory as string theory. No testable predictions makes it little more than a hypothesis.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
(February 26, 2015 at 6:29 am)jesus_wept Wrote: This won't bother the religious, the fundies will ignore it because they have faith and the rest will shift the goalposts and act like its a tool god used, just like they do with evolution.

If someone from MIT said their research showed that Tiberius's farts smelled like roses and that disproved God, a lot of you atheists would be making the same claim you are making above.
(February 26, 2015 at 6:41 am)One Above All Wrote: Yeah, this oversimplification is absurd. I'm all for abiogenesis (after all, for life to always come for life, life must have always existed - which we know isn't true - so life must have come from non-life), but they make it sound like you just need light and any random assortment of atoms to get life. This is as much a theory as string theory. No testable predictions makes it little more than a hypothesis.

Well this is just a brief article on the subject, it also says it's "backed by mathematical research and a proposal that can be put to the test."

(February 26, 2015 at 6:19 am)Heywood Wrote:
(February 26, 2015 at 3:10 am)StuW Wrote: This just popped up on my Facebook feed.

Why isn't there life on the moon, or mars? Light has been falling on the moon for billions of years. It would seem if this theory is correct we should see life anywhere light falls for a long time....and that is just not the case.

The article says, life would form where conditions are correct.
Re: RE: New theory on Aboigenesis
(February 26, 2015 at 6:19 am)Heywood Wrote:

You still need the right conditions, can you survive on the moon or mars?. You have oversimplified an oversimplified article :-/
(February 26, 2015 at 6:48 am)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(February 26, 2015 at 6:41 am)One Above All Wrote: Yeah, this oversimplification is absurd. I'm all for abiogenesis (after all, for life to always come for life, life must have always existed - which we know isn't true - so life must have come from non-life), but they make it sound like you just need light and any random assortment of atoms to get life. This is as much a theory as string theory. No testable predictions makes it little more than a hypothesis.

Well this is just a brief article on the subject, it also says it's "backed by mathematical research and a proposal that can be put to the test."

String "theory" is also backed by mathematics. In fact, it's mathematically perfect. Doesn't mean it's an actual theory. However, I missed the "put to the test" part in this article. I anxiously await the results.

(February 26, 2015 at 6:42 am)Heywood Wrote: If someone from MIT said their research showed that Tiberius's farts smelled like roses and that disproved God, a lot of you atheists would be making the same claim you are making above.

Who the fuck is Tiberius, and why do you assume atheists are as gullible as creationists? Atheists don't blindly accept science, since the two have no relation to one another. I've questioned science before, and will continue to do so, just as I've done here. I've even questioned math, which is ridiculous (in math, proof can actually be given). Don't project your gullible nature onto any of us.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
(February 26, 2015 at 6:42 am)Heywood Wrote:
(February 26, 2015 at 6:29 am)jesus_wept Wrote: This won't bother the religious, the fundies will ignore it because they have faith and the rest will shift the goalposts and act like its a tool god used, just like they do with evolution.

If someone from MIT said their research showed that Tiberius's farts smelled like roses and that disproved God, a lot of you atheists would be making the same claim you are making above.

I think it's fair to say that there is plenty of evidence that what I said is exactly how theists would act if confronted with evidence that their god of the gaps wasnt needed to create life.
Tiberius is the guy who generously runs this site out of his own pocket. And his name has been taken in vain by Heywood.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek theory Won2blv 10 956 June 24, 2023 at 6:53 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Simulation Theory according to Dilbert Neo-Scholastic 110 14867 May 10, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Intelligent Design as a scientific theory? SuperSentient 26 5973 March 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Simulation Theory Documentary Neo-Scholastic 25 5433 August 30, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  New theory on how life began KUSA 19 3670 March 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9718 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Creationists: Just a theory? Darwinian 31 7407 October 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  PZ Myers destroys Daniel Friedmann's YEC theory little_monkey 1 1177 June 17, 2013 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Big Bang theory confirmed (apparently) and amendments to make Joel 2 1851 March 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Joel
Thumbs Up Does Death Exist? New Theory Says ‘No’ Phish 30 13706 March 13, 2013 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: ManMachine