Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does the Bible say there are different races of people...
Question 
Why does the Bible say there are different races of people...
When actually there are not?

Example:

Ezra 9:2 "They have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, and have mingled the holy race with the peoples around them. And the leaders and officials have led the way in this unfaithfulness."
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Why does the Bible say there are different races of people...
Early master race ideology. Hitler wrote something similar in "Mein Kampf".
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It's a metaphor. Duh. Rolleyes
The bible is all about favouring certain groups of people, and not giving a fuck about the rest, in fact go and kill them and take their stuff.

A message of peace, love and equality.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm not sure I get your point, Aractus. There are different races in the colloquial sense, if not the biological sense, no?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 3, 2015 at 6:51 am)Alex K Wrote: I'm not sure I get your point, Aractus. There are different races in the colloquial sense, if not the biological sense, no?

They are mostly social conceptions based on phenotypical and behavioural traits and they vary over time. Scientists generally agree that the concept is difficult if not impossible to uphold and has little to no taxonomic significance since all humans belong to the same species and subspecies.
(March 3, 2015 at 8:01 am)Norman Humann Wrote:
(March 3, 2015 at 6:51 am)Alex K Wrote: I'm not sure I get your point, Aractus. There are different races in the colloquial sense, if not the biological sense, no?

They are mostly social conceptions based on phenotypical and behavioural traits and they vary over time. Scientists generally agree that the concept is difficult if not impossible to uphold and has little to no taxonomic significance since all humans belong to the same species and subspecies.

That's what I had heard as well. I still don't understand the problem Aractus has with the Bible.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Also, I suspect the differences in genes, speech, culture, etc. were more noticeable when people didn't travel as much.

Coincidentally, just a few days ago, I was wondering why humans aren't more like a ring species. I suppose that indicates a lot of traveling even in ancient times.
Look, a few times I hear yanks use the term "race relations" including I believe their president Obama, but there's no validity to citing different races of people and this was not known in the bronze age, or even for most of the 20th century. It was only latter in the 20th century we worked that out. There's only one human race. And anyone that disagrees is unable to list them or to say how many races there are. But yanks aside, no one uses the term now because we know it's based on bronze-age mythology and has been disproved scientifically. So why does the Bible claim otherwise?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Oh I see, you say the bible should be using biologically correct terminology for such things, and not wishy washy colloquialisms, because it is inspired by God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 523 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6205 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1702 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43907 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 4972 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5230 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2255 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1640 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1964 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 36270 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda