Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Way Houses for New Young Atheists
Half Way Houses for New Young Atheists
Is there any organization that provides housing and support for young (18-21ish) atheists who have been disowned by religious parents? If so, I'd like a link, because I can't find anything like it on the net.

If not, shouldn't there be one? I'm thinking something sort of like housing for foreign exchange students.

In about two years, we'll have empty bedrooms here, and putting an ex-whateverist (sorry Whateverist, you know what I mean I hope and I don't mean ex-you) in one and providing room and board for six months or a year wouldn't hurt us much. We might even enjoy it. I know people who do this for foreign high school students for no charge at all (in fact we were thinking about doing that in a few years). All that would be needed is a clearing house to match us up with semi-local young adults looking for work, as well as perhaps parental advise.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Half Way Houses for New Young Atheists
Secular Safe House is a good starting place.

It might be best to go specific. Maybe not as broad as "those displaced by religion" to "disfellowshipped JW's" or "Mormon refugees" could lead to more fruitful search results.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 4, 2015 at 11:54 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Secular Safe House is a good starting place.

It might be best to go specific. Maybe not as broad as "those displaced by religion" to "disfellowshipped JW's" or "Mormon refugees" could lead to more fruitful search results.

I never knew such an organization existed. Thanks for helping steer my donations in the years ahead. Signed up, and hoping to help.

(March 4, 2015 at 11:34 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Is there any organization that provides housing and support for young (18-21ish) atheists who have been disowned by religious parents? If so, I'd like a link, because I can't find anything like it on the net.

If not, shouldn't there be one? I'm thinking something sort of like housing for foreign exchange students.

In about two years, we'll have empty bedrooms here, and putting an ex-whateverist (sorry Whateverist, you know what I mean I hope and I don't mean ex-you) in one and providing room and board for six months or a year wouldn't hurt us much. We might even enjoy it. I know people who do this for foreign high school students for no charge at all (in fact we were thinking about doing that in a few years). All that would be needed is a clearing house to match us up with semi-local young adults looking for work, as well as perhaps parental advise.

Wait... but... the Good Samaritan... the prodigal son... turning the other cheek...

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
That's an excellent idea, and I'm happy to hear such places do exist. I hope there will be more in the future!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Thank you Steelcurtain. Now I'm finding some rather specific organizations such as:

The Diversity Foundation's Lost Boys for young men and women exhiled by Fundimentalist LDS parents.

And a few local ones, not to mention organizations to help youth transition from foster care. Also organizations specifically for the gay and lesbian youth, but not for the ex religious youth generally.

http://www.secularavenue.org provides financial and other aide for persons unsafe at home and trying to exit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AtheistHavens/ A kind of informal clearing house for atheists in need and people willing to house them.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Just be very careful on reddit...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5679 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2803 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 992 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3725 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Are humans half aliens? Human DNA question Signa92 14 1948 December 30, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2199 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2873 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3412 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14305 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon