Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I were an Atheist
If I were an Atheist
First I would have to come to grips with the fact that in spite of a decline in religious attendance and participation atheism isn’t a growing movement. It’s not just an issue of popularity. There are many unpopular beliefs and facts that are believed because of a preponderance of evidence in their favor, not because the belief is popular. Many popular beliefs have been abandoned do to evidence against them. Considering many atheists equate belief in God with belief in Santa Claus how is it they’re not gaining any traction? If the existence of God were as implausible as the existence of Santa Claus then there should be as many atheists as those who don’t believe in Santa Claus. If atheists know something that leads them to conclude belief in God is equivalent to belief in Santa they are keeping it a well-guarded secret or they are dismal failures in communication. The question is what are atheists doing wrong? Why aren’t they expressing their viewpoint in a way that actually persuades people? I suspect some atheists enjoy being contrary and being part of a small often loathed minority. Some atheists just like to think there much smarter than most and therefore their belief isn’t for the gullible masses.

How would I approach the debate were I an atheist?

1. Drop the ‘I’m a weak-atheist’ strategy.

I’d go further and criticize those who refer to themselves as weak atheists. If atheists can’t convince others who call themselves atheists that God doesn’t exist just as an opinion and not as a fact, how can they possibly convince someone who believes in the existence of God that God doesn’t exist? I know many atheists refer to themselves as weak atheists only so they can say they make no claim about whether God exists and therefore they have no burden of evidence. The upshot is it makes the case in favor of atheism so weak even those who call themselves atheists won’t opine that God doesn’t exist. I think the claim made by atheists they only lack belief in the existence of God is bogus, in reality it is there opinion that God doesn’t exist.

2. Drop linking belief in Santa to belief in God argument.

It’s a silly argument on the face of it. If belief in God were akin to belief in Santa Claus (or fairies, invisible pink elephants and so on) then why doesn’t 80% of the population believe in Santa Claus? If belief in God is as silly as belief in Santa Claus they need to explain why lucid sane adults don’t believe in Santa Claus but do believe in God? Secondly there is an overwhelming preponderance of evidence that a mystical person known as Santa who delivers presents worldwide on Christmas is easy to debunk and disprove. If belief in God is akin to belief in Santa how can there be weak atheists who only lack belief in God? Do atheists think Santa may exist but they merely lack that belief?

3. Drop the bashing, marginalizing and demonizing of believers.

I know such tactics make a big splash with fellow atheists but it does nothing for those sitting on the fence and are interested in an actual debate between atheists and theists. It makes atheists look petty, smug and arrogant and that they can’t make a factual argument from the evidence.

If I were an atheist (a real atheist that actually believes and claims God doesn’t exist) I would clearly state such a belief is an opinion. It’s what I think is true but acknowledge I’m not certain of it. That’s what an opinion is, a statement you have reason to believe is true but can’t be certain is true. I don’t know of any atheists claiming it’s a fact God doesn’t exist so it must be a belief that God doesn’t exist so why the animosity towards others who have a difference of opinion? If I ran an atheist board I would welcome theists to the board, respect their difference of opinion but share the facts and evidence I believe challenges that belief.

-There is no direct evidence a Creator caused the universe.

-The laws of physics over vast periods of time appear to have caused all the things we observe including our own existence.

-Much of the universe appears to be chaotic and unguided.

-Evolution appears to account for how living things developed on going complexity.

Therefore was I an atheist I would argue from those facts God doesn’t exist which ironically means I’m making a better argument than most atheists make. I wouldn't antagonize anyone, bash them over the head, question their sanity, just make the case and let it go at that.
RE: If I were an Atheist
TL;DR
Yeah, I've been on the computer too long today. My atten---OH HAY I HAVE MOAR PIZZA LEFT!!!!!!!!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Drew, you posted so many utterly wrong things it would take forever to go over them point by point. Maybe you should spread your crap over several threads so it is more manageable.

But I agree with this wholeheartedly:

(March 7, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Drew_2013 Wrote: 3. Drop the bashing, marginalizing and demonizing of believers.
I know such tactics make a big splash with fellow atheists but it does nothing for those sitting on the fence and are interested in an actual debate between atheists and theists. It makes atheists look petty, smug and arrogant and that they can’t make a factual argument from the evidence.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
1. Weak atheism all in all there is no god and or gods but there is no evidence to say if there is and or isn't. I was a weak atheist but i am a strong one.
2. Santa is based on one of the christian saint's on a technicality Santa did exist at one point I.E. Saint Nicholas.
3. Hey if they stopped preaching ignorance and hatred and overall stopped with the hate groups and kept to themselves and stop it with the street preachers then yes it will all stop.

Stephen Hawking would gladly disagree with you with god creating everything and i will too you don't need go to create a universe, Hell we could create a universe but what is the point.
Laws of physics breaks down the further when you go into the past at the time of the initial big bang whats the point and afterwards the universe is hot and cooling off thermodynamics and entropy is the end
of everything. Evolution in a nutshell molecules > building blocks of dna > bacteria > plant and or animal version 1 > version 2 > version etc so on and so fourth no creator needed. Also you are not using anything new
so what's the point apply that to your own belief and get over it and turn atheist Big Grin its much better on this side anyways with intellectual honest. Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
"belief in God with belief in Santa Claus how is it they’re not gaining any traction"

This is the reason why atheism is not growing. Because of meme's like "the spagetti monster in the sky". Pretty much its like arguing with a 5yr old atheist child and therefore a theist will not be amused and will continue to think all atheists are just a bunch of angry people who are "mad at god" for their misfortunes in life.
I agree in general with all your points (yes, even the first point). But I don't see that atheism should be treated on the same level as theism in terms of reasonability. Atheism makes a lot more sense than theism. You even listed some of the reasons why. So why aren't you an atheist again?
(March 7, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Irrational Wrote: I agree in general with all your points (yes, even the first point). But I don't see that atheism should be treated on the same level as theism in terms of reasonability. Atheism makes a lot more sense than theism. You even listed some of the reasons why. So why aren't you an atheist again?

Willful ignorance. +100 faith buff
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Atheism isn't a growing movement because it isn't a movement at all. It's a belief. Not organized and not well funded. It is growing however. Just about every poll backs that up.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Well, I was once an atheist...and the beautiful atheists I've met along my journey in faith, is an experience I'd never trade. Not everyone can emotionally handle atheism. I was one such person. No one can prove that a deity exists, but it brings me some sense of comfort to know one just might exist. Deism resonates with me now, more than theism.

Everyone has to find their own way. Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3350 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1575 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4122 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7702 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If christianity were true [hypothetical] dyresand 27 3844 June 17, 2016 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 7023 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 50649 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  If You Were A Theist Shuffle 15 3620 August 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: IATIA
  how old were you jackson 57 9618 January 25, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Case closed on making cases against the case for stuff, in case you were wondering. Whateverist 27 5612 December 11, 2014 at 8:12 am
Last Post: robvalue