Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists on religious forums
Atheists on religious forums
Cool Shades

Just a small thread to find out your opinions about how atheists or agnostics would be treated on religious forums. I have never been a member of any particular religious forum, and to be honest, this is a first for me being on here; a none theistic forum. I find that the tolerance level of religious pretty good and there is a great deal of banter to be had.

So, have any of you ever experienced the same sort of tolerances towards the fact that you maybe atheist, anti-theist, agnostic etc on a religious forum, or have you been banned because of your views? I would like to add a poll but it seems that I cannot. However, if someone can, then I would like the options to be the types of religious forums i.e. Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, baptist, Islam, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist etc etc.

Many thanks in advance.
RE: Atheists on religious forums
There have been many threads about this.

Theist forums tend to be overly intolerant toward any discussion of that which directly opposes what they believe and atheists on theist forums are usually banned after making an introduction thread.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Never done it, don't have any desire to.

But I have heard from many here that have that it is rarely a worthwhile venture. Banning can happen quickly and with little reason. Sometimes you'll be banned if you even say you're an atheist. Other times people can coexist for a long time without repercussion.

Forums in general (including most atheist forums) tend to be pretty insular.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 17, 2015 at 4:49 pm)Sionnach Wrote: There have been many threads about this.

Theist forums tend to be overly intolerant toward any discussion of that which directly opposes what they believe and atheists on theist forums are usually banned after making an introduction thread.

Many thanks for your reply and thanks for pointing out that there have been many threads already about it. If a kind moderator could actually delete this thread, I would be most grateful.

In saying that, I wouldn't mind testing the water, so to speak, to see what sort of reaction I would get.
(March 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm)RobertE Wrote: In saying that, I wouldn't mind testing the water, so to speak, to see what sort of reaction I would get.

In most cases you would be banned. In any case, it sounds like the same kind of fun experience as smashing your head against a wall. I'm no missionary and so I really don't see any reason to visit one of their boards. I get all I need to know about bible literalists right here in a neat little nutshell. Sometimes more than I bargained for as can be shown by looking at more recent threads about all loving homicidal god.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I joined several theist forums with the intent to engage in honest discussions. I am honestly interested in what people believe and why they believe it.

I never cussed (Christians have the ability to ignore evidence and logical argument if any profanity is used) and never insulted. All I did was ask honest questions, respond to their questions honestly, and point out fallacies and inaccuracies.

The longest I ever lasted was probably about 10 posts. Banned every time.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
If their kids turn out atheist, they probably ban them too. They're not even worth the time of day any more, kick them out the house at age 10 for not bowing down to your horse shit.

Jesus would be proud.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I joined several theist forums with the intent to engage in honest discussions. I am honestly interested in what people believe and why they believe it.

I never cussed (Christians have the ability to ignore evidence and logical argument if any profanity is used) and never insulted. All I did was ask honest questions, respond to their questions honestly, and point out fallacies and inaccuracies.

The longest I ever lasted was probably about 10 posts. Banned every time.

I have a great plan in mind. I might join a catholic one and an Islamic one, and just post honestly and join in debates. I will not let on as to who I am or what my beliefs (or a lack of) are and if all is good and everything moves swimmingly, I will feed them some false information, just to make things interesting i.e. things that both Catholics and Muslims hate. Then we will see which forum would ban me first. Big Grin
I've wondered how they would react to someone evincing more piety and fealty than their regulars do, but haven't bothered. It's one thing to ban a nonbeliever, but to nail someone for vivid Literalism would be interesting.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I joined an Islamic forum, because I work with children whose parents are Muslims. I was not banned, but I did walk on eggs to manage it. It helped that my purpose was not to debate Islam, though since I was openly atheist I did have to fend off a few barking dogs out to preserve the purity of their forum.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of religious forums viocjit 35 16547 May 11, 2021 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why I'm on these forums (Q/A) Mystic 30 7247 January 3, 2016 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15419 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11024 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Atheists dealing with their religious families Clueless Morgan 17 5036 November 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32894 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Do You Get Banned from Religious Forums? sunnyjim 59 19932 March 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  the "spirituality forums": Tabby 4 2415 July 31, 2009 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Giff