Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana State Law Still Allows Businesses to Refuse Service Based on Sexuality
Indiana State Law Still Allows Businesses to Refuse Service Based on Sexuality
Read this, thought it was interesting. Basically, the "clarification" of the ridiculous Indiana RFRA+ law is meaningless, because state law allowed businesses to deny service to homosexuals before this bill was ever even drafted, and still allows them to do so. The only thing this clarification says is that businesses can't use this bill in specific as a defense in court, but the state law is still on their side. Many areas in Indiana have local ordinances that do classify sexuality as a protected class, but many other areas do not.

Just some food for thought.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2...ification/

Quote:’ve been rather amused watching the goings-on in Indiana. Gov. Mike Pence, scared by the potential financial losses from the backlash against the passage of their new RFRA law, asked the state assembly to amend the bill to add a “clarification” and they are now doing so. And you know what it will change? Not a goddamn thing.

Here’s the thing that everyone seems to forget: It was already completely legal for a company in Indiana to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation before this RFRA+ law was ever passed (unless there was a municipality that prohibited it by ordinance; I’m talking about state law). There are absolutely no protections against such discrimination at the state level and there never have been. So if a company wanted to refuse to hire or refuse to serve someone because they thought they were gay, they didn’t need RFRA to give them that right.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
RE: Indiana State Law Still Allows Businesses to Refuse Service Based on Sexuality
Wiccans plan to introduce Indiana to the law of unintended consequences.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/wicca...e-capitol/

Quote:Wiccans say Indiana religious freedom law opens the door to polygamy, nude rituals at the Capitol

Go for it, guys.
RE: Indiana State Law Still Allows Businesses to Refuse Service Based on Sexuality
I'm really confused about this religious rights bill.

I don't think they thought it through at all. Fucking morons can't differentiate between "religion" and "mah reelijun".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 2, 2015 at 2:50 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'm really confused about this religious rights bill.

I don't think they thought it through at all. Fucking morons can't differentiate between "religion" and "mah reelijun".

The federal RFRA was intended to give people some defense against the government encroaching on their religious freedom by "substantially burdening" their ability to free exercise. The proponents of the Indiana state law wanted to expand that ability even to situations where the government isn't involved.

So business owners could refuse to provide service to X person/party or refuse to perform Y action and use the state-RFRA as a defense in court because serving X person/party or performing Y action would be a "substantial burden" on their ability to free exercise.

The state anti-discrimination laws, on the other hand, establish protected classes that cannot be the basis for discrimination (refusal of service, housing, employment, etc), regardless of reasoning. Race, for example, cannot be used to deny someone employment under these laws, even if a business tried to use their religion to justify it.

Without the Indiana RFRA that's been in the news, businesses and employers and housing could already reject people based on being gay, because sexuality isn't a protected class under the state non-discrimination laws. The RFRA didn't give the businesses that right, as they already had that ability.
- Thomas Jefferson
The law is designed to embolden shithead xtians to declare that they are discriminating "for jesus."
I see! Except I'm even more confused. So in practical terms, it did nothing? Except highlight a bigotry loophole that already existed?

Am I missing something?! Seems like they shot themselves in both feet and the ass!
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(April 2, 2015 at 3:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: I see! Except I'm even more confused. So in practical terms, it did nothing? Except highlight a bigotry loophole that already existed?

Am I missing something?! Seems like they shot themselves in both feet and the ass!

The motivation does seem a bit....strange-as-fuck. My guess would be they wanted to provide a religious cover to their actions, so if/when they refuse service to gays (or any other non-protected status like hair color, tattoos, etc), they had something to fall back on legally AND religiously.
- Thomas Jefferson
(April 2, 2015 at 2:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Wiccans plan to introduce Indiana to the law of unintended consequences.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/wicca...e-capitol/

Quote:Wiccans say Indiana religious freedom law opens the door to polygamy, nude rituals at the Capitol

Go for it, guys.

I should ask my other half about this, since he's Wiccan and all. *Note the DEEP sarcasm in my statement about asking him. He is still Wiccan though.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
FAF: could it be they didn't understand the law as it stood before?

Index of my best videos
(April 2, 2015 at 3:12 pm)robvalue Wrote: FAF: could it be they didn't understand the law as it stood before?

I have no idea, honestly. There are so many potential lawsuits that could be linked with discrimination that they might just have wanted to establish a big bulwark fallback defense for court cases.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 421 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  titanic gawker submersible still missing. Anomalocaris 54 3059 August 2, 2023 at 7:13 am
Last Post: no one
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 3845 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 936 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  Still pinching myself over Kamala being VP. Brian37 43 2042 June 8, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 146 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Escalating violence as armed protests planned in all 50 state capitals TaraJo 64 3473 January 15, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 3008 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  how many of you think this is still about Mr Floyd? Drich 194 14966 July 6, 2020 at 1:28 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Church forcing State involvement? onlinebiker 34 1964 April 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire