Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Night "Prayer"
Election Night "Prayer"
This is probably a thing elsewhere, and I can't help but view it with a degree of cynicism. My parents left a leaflet lying around for a prayer session in my town to pray that we get the right representative for our town in the up coming 2015 United Kingdom General Election. One assumes that people from all sides of the political spectrum will be attending the meeting. I asked them about this and they said: "God always does what's best" (what a lame response).

My mother is an immigrant and I happen to think that the United Kingdom Independence Party has a real chance in our constituency, as it does in a whole bunch across England. In fact, if I remember rightly, there is a UKIP Councillor that attends the same Church as my parents. Everyone in my family has a dislike for UKIP - for a variety of reasons. So, I asked my mother: "If UKIP comes first where we live, will this mean that Yaweh allowed the best candidate to win?"

She had no answer. But I doubt that, even they do win where we live, she question her religion. I don't know about you, but I think these election prayers are people praying for the candidate they want to win rather praying to get the candidate that will actually do the best job at representing them at a regional, national or even international level, as the case may be. The people attending can't see into the future so they won't know who, if any, will do a good job of representing them. Regardless of how many prayers are done, people are still going to vote for the candidate they want to win.

RE: Election Night "Prayer"
This "god's will" shit is difficult to overcome...especially since god's fucking will seems identical to "random chance."
If god always does what's best, why do you need to pray for it to happen?

Religious people play the beaten down abuse victims who accept whatever their cruel master inflicts on them. If it's bad, they deserved it, it was their fault.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 27, 2015 at 5:14 am)robvalue Wrote: If god always does what's best, why do you need to pray for it to happen?

Religious people play the beaten down abuse victims who accept whatever their cruel master inflicts on them. If it's bad, they deserved it, it was their fault.

I might go to the whyislam.org forum with that. They say they are for open discussion after all. And Salat is bogus 'cause it's not even in the Quran, if I remember correctly. So yeah, they should 'spill the beans' on this whole 'god knows best thing'.

(April 26, 2015 at 3:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This "god's will" shit is difficult to overcome...especially since god's fucking will seems identical to "random chance."

[Image: 20090709.gif]
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(April 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote:
(April 27, 2015 at 5:14 am)robvalue Wrote: If god always does what's best, why do you need to pray for it to happen?

I might go to the whyislam.org forum with that. They say they are for open discussion after all. And Salat is bogus 'cause it's not even in the Quran, if I remember correctly. So yeah, they should 'spill the beans' on this whole 'god knows best thing'.

Yeah, I wonder what they will say to this? If god really does only ever do what is best, then no praying is ever necessary, in fact it's a waste of time except for scoring browny points. What you actually wish to happen makes no difference. I've not heard any theist try to counter this conclusion on this forum.

So they'll have to alter the model arbitrarily:

God does the best thing... as long as enough people ask for it? But they're not going to know what the best thing is, they'll all be praying for loads of completely different shit. The chances of it actually being the best thing are minuscule, so he'll just be ignoring almost every prayer. The only prayer worth doing in this situation is, "Please god, do the best thing, whatever that is!" Weird. What happens if people don't ask him to do the best thing? He does something crappy instead? What a cock!

The whole thing is broken. If god knows everything, and only does the best thing, then he already knows what the best thing is and whether or not it includes you finding your fucking car keys, and will do it whatever people pray for. So either god doesn't know everything, or god doesn't always do the best thing, or prayer is a waste of time except for being a sycophant. Which is it theists? Big Grin
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 US Presidential Election Thumpalumpacus 1060 51007 April 24, 2024 at 5:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 802 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5367 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Anyone watch last night's debate? Brian37 9 868 September 30, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Kuala Lumpur Islamic summit: did the night of the vassals began to end? WinterHold 16 1113 January 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1517 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1093 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Good News from yesterday's election. Brian37 14 2139 November 9, 2018 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Brian37
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2443 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Should Hilary Run In The Next Election (The Unbiased Version) Amarok 67 9561 July 25, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13