Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Faith comes by hearing"
"Faith comes by hearing"
A statement I heard quite a bit all those summers at church camp. I now think they are simply describing "groupthink":

Going to school for Psychology has given me an odd view of religion. I wonder if the general clergy tends to realize how effective they are at using principles such as: conditioning, groupthink, etc.

Religion would be a beautiful application of Psychology if the result wasn't so terrifying.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: "Faith comes by hearing"
It bugs me a lot whether organised religion is a clever shepherd leading his flock or just a herd being led by the biggest sheep...

Baaah
I suspect many of them are aware of the tricks they use to get the masses in line. That's why many churches are allowing contemporary musicians into the service now. Nothing like singing together to a rollicking song to raise the spirit.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 28, 2015 at 8:55 am)Neimenovic Wrote: It bugs me a lot whether organised religion is a clever shepherd leading his flock or just a herd being led by the biggest sheep...

Baaah

I believe this varies. Some may, some may not. 

The the case of Cults or fringes of major religions, the leaders probably realize the bs. Even if they don't know the textbook names for what they are doing.

Most master manipulators didn't have formal training, unless you count indoctrination with religion.

Would there be more atheists if more people could see through the brainwashing?
Faith might come to some by seeing.

Seeing true believers handling dangerous serpents and drinking deadly poison might be quite convincing.

Oh, with the proviso, of course, that the demonstration not be rigged, and the demonstration not result in death or injury.

(that last part really seems to trip them up, don't it?)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 28, 2015 at 9:03 am)Spooky Wrote: Would there be more atheists if more people could see through the brainwashing?

People who join cults (as opposed to being raised up in them when they never had a chance) are often looking for something. Seeing that someone is a brainwashing prick doesn't change that need. They'll probably continue to seek woo in some form or other.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 28, 2015 at 9:03 am)Spooky Wrote: Would there be more atheists if more people could see through the brainwashing?

I don't want your product if you have to lie about it

Plus it sorta kills the magic to see the man behind the curtain

But some people just really want to believe
(April 28, 2015 at 9:08 am)thesummerqueen Wrote:

People who join cults (as opposed to being raised up in them when they never had a chance) are often looking for something. Seeing that someone is a brainwashing prick doesn't change that need. They'll probably continue to seek woo in some form or other.

Good point.

What would be society's best solution?

I'd vote for a combination of education and secular social groups.
(April 28, 2015 at 8:55 am)Neimenovic Wrote: It bugs me a lot whether organised religion is a clever shepherd leading his flock or just a herd being led by the biggest sheep...

Baaah

Meh, on the one hand you guys say we're all mindless sheep. On the other you say that we think so much about it that we've splintered into 47,850 different denominations, or whatever the current number is.
(April 28, 2015 at 9:27 am)alpha male Wrote:

Baaah

Meh, on the one hand you guys say we're all mindless sheep. On the other you say that we think so much about it that we've splintered into 47,850 different denominations, or whatever the current number is.

The number is approx. 44,000
The division into denominations was caused by disagreements within the church, mostly
I was referring to the question whether religious leaders use psychological tricks knowingly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3650 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1197 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 923 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10652 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 11573 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 815 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4158 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13054 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 31602 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 199875 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet