Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes your faith true?
Obviously question for religious people.

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: What makes your faith true?
Because mommy and daddy said so.

Seriously though, we know statistically that almost all theists are indoctrinated as children.
I would be genuinely interested to hear why an adult has turned to Christ.

Preferably one who is not undergoing personal hardships... Religion becomes a lot more attractive when you back's against the wall.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Redefining the definition of "true" to mean "My faith".

"My faith is true" therefore= "my faith is my faith."

A bit tongue in cheek but... basically theists sure as hell like to redefine things so they can start with a conclusion instead of a premise.
A tree.
Dying to live, living to die.
The region they live in.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Because I personally know God, we have a real relationship and no it's not one sided.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
[Image: 59780206.jpg]

You should be in a rubber room, G-C.
(January 27, 2017 at 1:44 am)Godschild Wrote: Because I personally know God, we have a real relationship and no it's not one sided.

GC

I sometimes wonder: If God is in a relationship with so many millions of Christians... have they all agreed to this relationship? Or are some Christians unaware that God is cheating on them with other Christians they've never even met?

Jehovah is an unfaithful cretin. Jesus is a cheating cunt. Yahweh is an adulterous dipshit. The so-called Virgin Mary actually loved to sleep around and Moses would shag anything that moved. Also the three wise men regularly had threesomes. With each other.

Have I been blasphemous enough yet?

I predict God will punish me by doing absolutely fucking nothing. It's almost as if he doesn't exist!
I'd like to see some specific answers actually.

A 'generic' answer that might apply to some/most/all Christian sects, schism and denominations isn't real helpful.

Sharpen up the replies to the extent for instance, my church, the Pillar of Fire Repentance Tabernacle Missouri Synod Lutheran is a true church because :

See how that is more useful than 'Because Jesus died' to us here?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 27, 2017 at 1:50 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(January 27, 2017 at 1:44 am)Godschild Wrote: Because I personally know God, we have a real relationship and no it's not one sided.

GC

I sometimes wonder: If God is in a relationship with so many millions of Christians... have they all agreed to this relationship? Or are some Christians unaware that God is cheating on them with other Christians they've never even met?

Jehovah is an unfaithful cretin. Jesus is a cheating cunt. Yahweh is an adulterous dipshit. The so-called Virgin Mary actually loved to sleep around and Moses would shag anything that moved. Also the three wise men regularly had threesomes. With each other.

Have I been blasphemous enough yet?

I predict God will punish me by doing absolutely fucking nothing. It's almost as if he doesn't exist!

If he punishes you in this life time you'll just deny it, in the next life there will be no denial, none at all. No one will have to tell you you were foolish, you'll know it.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3867 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1246 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 933 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10965 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12260 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2781 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 829 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4198 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The One True Dog Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 20 5187 March 16, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The One True God thread Angrboda 11 2689 March 14, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Aegon