Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marijuana
Marijuana
Why do our governments prance around this issue like they do?

For all intents and purposes, possessing and using marijuana in a private place is tolerated by law enforcement in our respective countries(I'm talking Canada, UK, USA), yet you'll be hard pressed to find a high-ranking politician admit that this kind of thing is acceptable. You'll also find the majority of our representation will not acknowledge the safety of marijuana, or the reasons behind it's prohibition.

Specifics aside, is it not clear that policies like this don't work? We have more than enough data supporting the idea that prohibition doesn't work.

We have countless studies highlighing powerful medical applications, and then headlines about DEA raids on businesses supplying this medicine to patients, all legal under state laws.

It makes me sick. What a collosal waste of taxpayer money.
RE: Marijuana
(November 24, 2008 at 8:07 pm)Meatball Wrote: Why do our governments prance around this issue like they do?

For all intents and purposes, possessing and using marijuana in a private place is tolerated by law enforcement in our respective countries(I'm talking Canada, UK, USA), yet you'll be hard pressed to find a high-ranking politician admit that this kind of thing is acceptable. You'll also find the majority of our representation will not acknowledge the safety of marijuana, or the reasons behind it's prohibition.

Specifics aside, is it not clear that policies like this don't work? We have more than enough data supporting the idea that prohibition doesn't work.

We have countless studies highlighing powerful medical applications, and then headlines about DEA raids on businesses supplying this medicine to patients, all legal under state laws.

Never used drugs myself nor ever smoked anything, despite living in the uk through the 60's. Drank too much, still do, that's the reason I didn't do the others cause I suspect I'd probably be dead or a wreck now.
Sympathize with your opinion considering the problems excessive drinking causes.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Well marijuana is certainly not a bad drug at all. I don't think it should be illegal perhaps, after all alcohol does more harm.
It relaxes you more than normal cigarettes, but it can cause paranoia.
Also I saw a program about drugs and it said that marijuana is FOUR times worse for your lungs than normal cigarettes.
Oh and btw, I saw an old QI episode that I only saw the end of before, I saw all of it today...and...
Stephen Fry said that while smoking can take 5 years off your life...if a man is castrated it can add as much as 13 years on to his life

Hey an extra 13 years isn't worth THAT!
(November 24, 2008 at 8:07 pm)Meatball Wrote: For all intents and purposes, possessing and using marijuana in a private place is tolerated by law enforcement in our respective countries(I'm talking Canada, UK, USA), yet you'll be hard pressed to find a high-ranking politician admit that this kind of thing is acceptable. You'll also find the majority of our representation will not acknowledge the safety of marijuana, or the reasons behind it's prohibition.

IMO marijuana it's every bit as dangerous as alcohol and, when smoked, presumably has some carcinogenic properties. That said I do accept it has pain-relief qualities and I certainly think it should be prescribable by doctors.

Kyu
I don't care what people do to their own bodies, as long as it doesn't influence the health and safety of others around them.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 26, 2008 at 7:14 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I don't care what people do to their own bodies, as long as it doesn't influence the health and safety of others around them.

I agree but in my experience marijuana is dangerous, certainly was the time I smoked it and then drove home ... never again!

Kyu
In my experience, I've never had any adverse effects from pot. And is it the Marijuana's fault if you are stupid enough to crawl behind the wheel of a car when you just smoked some? That is like blaming the beer for drunk-driving or bullets for a hate crime. Granted I've not used pot in 10 years or so and I only ate cake because I don't like to smoke, but I will neither recommend or dissuade marijuana use for others. But the responsibility of what happens lies with the user, not the product.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 24, 2008 at 8:07 pm)Meatball Wrote: Why do our governments prance around this issue like they do?

Marijuana is illegal in the United States because Uncle Sam is about the greedist person I've ever known. It's a proven fact that Marijuana is a billion dollar underground business. If it would be legalized, there is no way the U.S Federal Government would be able to control the masses of people that would be distributing it in the U.S and overseas. It would be considered non-taxable monies in the Government's eyes. And we all know that is a crime in itself!

It's sickening that the Federal Government has websites and books on the stats of human fatalities from drinking and driving accidents, but they continue to let the night clubs and bars make a mint off of drunk patrons, knowing damn well they will grab their keys and drive home.

What are the statistics on people being killed by a person driving under the influence of marijuana?

Or what about cigarettes? The U.S Federal Government puts warning labels on cigarette packs, "This product will eventually kill you, and you will have mentally handicapped children if you smoke while pregnant!"[/sarcasm]

But who cares about children being born premature, or possibly even still-born! As long as the Government gets that Tax dollar and all is good.

Back in the 1920's and early 30's.. The U.S Gov't claimed, "Marijuana is the drug of the Devil!" Well, Newsflash!! Marijuana is not a drug! Drugs are manmade; Cocaine, Heroin, LSD, Crack..etc,etc,etc. Marijuana is a natural plant. And that natural plant was blessed during the Creation week.
Well I'm glad God also blessed the Coca plant, and the Poppy... and oh, all matter! Since synthetics are derived, obviously, from natural materials, they too were blessed during the Creation "week" (and btw, do you mean actual week or aeonic week?).

However, if marijuana were legalized, it would be very easy to tax. With the government funding grow-ops, they could offer lower prices than street dealers, and so easily beat out the competition. I don't have to tell you that sales would be huge, and the government would make a lot of money. I live in BC, and I'm actually surprised that it hasn't happened yet here.

On another note, I don't know how relevant quotes from the 30's are...
(November 28, 2008 at 4:27 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: Marijuana is not a drug! Drugs are manmade; Cocaine, Heroin, LSD, Crack..etc,etc,etc. Marijuana is a natural plant. And that natural plant was blessed during the Creation week.
You do realise that (a) your definition of a drug is bullshit, and (b) cocaine and heroin are both drugs extracted from plants.

A drug is a substance (other than a food) that has an effect on the human body. Alcohol is a drug by all definitions, as is Marihuana, cocaine, pain killers, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obama Hates Medical Marijuana And He Doesn't Care What The States Think Big Blue Sky 50 12527 June 29, 2013 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Darth
  NY Assemblyman votes against legalization of marijuana then gets busted with marijuana TaraJo 10 2953 March 25, 2013 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Violet
  Complications within the marijuana debate TaraJo 6 2427 March 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Nation wide legalization of marijuana may be in the works. TaraJo 18 4504 February 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Washington State legalizes marijuana for adults. Jackalope 50 12170 December 16, 2012 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Marijuana Baby Steps Cinjin 24 5996 October 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Another Reason To Legalize Marijuana: It Can Now Fight Cancer cratehorus 25 10787 September 24, 2012 at 9:25 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko