Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My follow up to my other thread...
My follow up to my other thread...
I posted another thread with the title, "correct me where I'm wrong" or something close to that. I just want to clarify. I didn't mean to point out any single person here. I just get sick of reading about how stupid religious people are when most people here have the same emotional propensities and fallacious reasoning at times. And when you get called out, it just reverts back to the cognitive dissonance that makes us all feel warm at night. But I am in luck because there is an article on cracked.com that explains it better than I did. And cracked.com is one of the most respected websites so I hope you all take it really seriously. (sarcasm) I added sarcasm and this explanation incase you didn't understand that I don't really think its the most respected website on the internet.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-athei...ng-itself/
RE: My follow up to my other thread...
Le sigh. Nothing here is a revelation.
(May 23, 2015 at 11:45 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Le sigh. Nothing here is a revelation.

Quite. One fairly solid thing remains - we don't believe in a fucking magic old man.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
The closest I get to the atheist community is here, so I can't really comment on whether or not his assessment is valid. If what he says is true, however, I think he makes some good points.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 24, 2015 at 12:05 am)Iroscato Wrote:
(May 23, 2015 at 11:45 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Le sigh. Nothing here is a revelation.

Quite. One fairly solid thing remains - we don't believe in a fucking magic old man.

Thats funny because neither do I! Its not about it being a fucking revelation. I came to this site hoping to find reasonable "free thinkers" that could help me logically reason why I don't need to believe in god. Instead I found a bunch of emotional arguments that are always lacking and usually fall short of being logical. Not saying I haven't gotten a lot of good info and resources along with it. But its the dipshits that think they're intellectually superior because they're an ideologue of Richard Dawkins or any other "free thinker" that I get sick of hearing from
If that's all you got, you either didn't understand or you were listening to the wrong person. If you really want your questions answered, wait until you find a poster that you think could help you out and send them a PM asking if they could help.

Trust me. There are plenty of people here capable of answering questions without appealing to emotions or using fallacies.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 24, 2015 at 12:22 am)Faith No More Wrote: If that's all you got, you either didn't understand or you were listening to the wrong person.  If you really want your questions answered, wait until you find a poster that you think could help you out and send them a PM asking if they could help.

Trust me.  There are plenty of people here capable of answering questions without appealing to emotions or using fallacies.

I did acknowledge that I have gotten a lot of help here. And it's been greatly appreciated 
(May 24, 2015 at 12:30 am)nicanica123 Wrote: I did acknowledge that I have gotten a lot of help here. And it's been greatly appreciated 

Yeah, you do have to cut through the chaff to find the wheat, though.

Still, you sound like you still have unanswered question.
That's called the tu quoque fallacy. It doesn't make religion any less ridiculous because atheists sometimes fall foul of logical fallacies or emotional reasoning, especially in seperate discussions. Most atheists don't claim to be infallible. If an argument is invalid, then feel free to address it specifically.

It's a common response to criticism, which is worthwhile mentally training yourself out of. It's better to first address the argument at hand, and then later move on to any recipricating arguments if you feel it's necessary. (This is advice for everyone! My first thought when I'm criticised in real life is often to tu quoque, and I have learnt to mentally cross it out as a fallacy. It seems to be some sort of natural defence mechanism.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
So the Amazing Atheist is an asshole and Richard Dawkins sometimes shows strong tendencies in that direction. I knew that already. So some people are annoying. What on earth is your point?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3814 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Santa and Other Lies to the Kids mlmooney89 25 2654 August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14386 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9711 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I need to rant to other atheists mlmooney89 22 3556 June 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  Why can't we just be "excellent" to each other? thool 32 6023 December 5, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 14501 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Why Some Atheists Reject Morality: The Other Side of the Coin Rhondazvous 20 5215 June 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12776 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  ever think that all our problems exist because of other people? Jextin 11 4193 January 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue