Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your ideal world with religion?
What is your ideal world with religion?
I am assuming that most atheists here would prefer a world free of religion. But short of genocide, I am sure that religion will be around for the foreseeable future. So if you could have your ideal world where religious people still lived, what would the ideal relationship be with their religion and society in general? Or how would you be happiest in a world where you have to coexist with religion?
RE: What is your ideal world with religion?
My "perfect world" is the same type of place that would make the religious the happiest, a secular place.   So, heaven isn't too far away, for yours truly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Since you put this in the Christian forum, I'll assume you're talking about Christians, specifically. If we have to have them, the ideal would be cultural Christianity like you have in the U.K. Better would be that religious people find what they're looking for in non-dogmatic religions like pantheism or deism.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
There is an old thread on a similar theme:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-33074.html

(April 29, 2015 at 12:19 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: I would not prohibit religion.  However, I would tax them the same as any other organization, and not allow them any special privileges or exemptions from following the law.  I would also require that everyone attend public schools, in which science, logic, and philosophy, among other things, would be taught from an early age.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Eddie Izzard nails it.

My "ideal" would be for humans to accept there is no such thing as a perfect world. Reality is messy, both with science and with humans. We can certainly work towards more understanding of the natural world and human behavior, but I don't like it even when atheists speculate about a "ideal" world, there can only be a more improved but never perfect.
I would welcome a world with lots of smart theists, you know, ones who also admit to agnosticism without abandoning their point of view. Ones who are open to every new empirical finding as shining light on this glorious existence within which they also posit a god or two. If they could talk about their religious experiences couched in qualifiers such as "it is as though ..". Basically any theist who can admit that the god they like to imagine is first and foremost a mystery for which they too are without an answer. I would be proud to claim such theists as full peers of the realm.
(May 27, 2015 at 7:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote: My "ideal" would be for humans to accept there is no such thing as a perfect world. Reality is messy, both with science and with humans. We can certainly work towards more understanding of the natural world and human behavior, but I don't like it even when atheists speculate about a "ideal" world, there can only be a more improved but never perfect.

Defining a "perfect world" is useful because it establishes a direction in which to move. You know you can't reach the destination but the further you move in that direction, the greater you have improved things.

It's ironic that you can't stomach things like hypothetical perfect worlds yet you constantly show ire towards imperfect atheists who don't meet your unreasonable standard of rigidity and lack of imagination.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Religious people are "sheep" by nature, so get it out of primary schools completely.
Eventually, the sheep will follow the masses and the remaining "minority" can have their stupid cults.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'd have a secular world where believers kept their religion to themselves. Tax churches, both income and property taxes just like individuals, too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why i don't respect your religion or your faith dyresand 39 12295 September 16, 2015 at 4:08 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Please describe what you think would make the ideal Christian? Whateverist 24 5470 February 25, 2014 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Mr. Moncrieff
  The business world of religion or THE RELIGIOUS CLUB skb 26 11350 July 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15
  New game: your ideal Christian Whateverist 18 7177 December 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Whateverist